1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
1347314447-dumpster_diving.jpg

Where Theo found Joel Pinero.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Classic!

Maybe he was throwing up after he found out what kind of pitcher Chris Volstad really was?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
He should be happy though. It isn't too often that VP makes more annually than 16 of his current players, especially in todays baseball market.

Hope that changes soon.

patg006

Liked Posts:
He should be happy though. It isn't too often that VP makes more annually than 16 of his current players, especially in todays baseball market.

Hope that changes soon.

I can't imagine that happens to any other professional sports teams outside of maybe Houston Astros and Miami Marlins.

Not really the company you want to be keeping.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Nah! Some of us prefer Kettle One over Koolaid

The first one ensures a good buzz. The latter ensures nothing but a headache.

To each their own, but seems to me kettle one has made several here angry drunks. I prefer not to live my life angry but like I said, to each their own.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Also looks like this when finished. PATIENCE people....PATIENCE.

theo-epstein-11.jpg

Why would we want to do that when we could've added $40 million more in payroll with Brian McCann and Shin-Soo Choo and still only won 76 games? I mean, at least we would've spent more money!

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Why would we want to do that when we could've added $40 million more in payroll with Brian McCann and Shin-Soo Choo and still only won 76 games? I mean, at least we would've spent more money!

Or maybe if they landed Sanchez and Tanaka, they would have one of the top 4 or 5 rotations in the National League and by virtue of not having E-Jax, they would have a surplus to spend on another bona fide player. I guess it's how you spend the 40 million.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Or maybe if they landed Sanchez and Tanaka, they would have one of the top 4 or 5 rotations in the National League and by virtue of not having E-Jax, they would have a surplus to spend on another bona fide player. I guess it's how you spend the 40 million.

It's well documented that Sanchez played the Cubs brass to get an extra $5-7 million from the Tigers -- he didn't want to leave. And I don't think anyone will ever know what really went down in the Tanaka negotiations. I'm guessing the Cubs did end up making him a substantial offer, but due to how people have described Tanaka, he probably was "really" only considering New York or one of the teams in California.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Not sure how that would work considering Sanchez got significantly more than Jackson who was his replacement in essence and Hammel's got $6 mil to the $23 mil AAV they offered Tanaka. In fact, it's entirely likely they would have had fewer players signed rather than more. Whether or not they would be better is another argument and potentially a valid one. I'm just saying the viability of signing both and then adding another impact player is highly unlikely.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
So in reality, Theo didn't turn shit into wine?

He turned the Red Sox into a good team. It's taken him longer here of course, look at the contracts Hendry had with this team. Do you really want him to go out and spend (last year and this year) on big FA's when they knew they weren't ready to compete?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
It's well documented that Sanchez played the Cubs brass to get an extra $5-7 million from the Tigers -- he didn't want to leave. And I don't think anyone will ever know what really went down in the Tanaka negotiations. I'm guessing the Cubs did end up making him a substantial offer, but due to how people have described Tanaka, he probably was "really" only considering New York or one of the teams in California.

It was well documented by Theo himself at the winter meetings a year ago that elite players wanted to play for the Cubs regardless of what the teams condition was in. So they should have been able to get him if they wanted to.

The Cubs could have forced someone elses hand and made them fold, but it always seems to be someone else doing it to the Cubs.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He turned the Red Sox into a good team. It's taken him longer here of course, look at the contracts Hendry had with this team. Do you really want him to go out and spend (last year and this year) on big FA's when they knew they weren't ready to compete?

But you implied he didn't inherit a horrible team. (He didn't).

The big move to up the ante on offense was Bonifacio, Royals scraps.

Then as the season starts, sign Joel Pinero, who hasn't pitched since 2011.

All we want as fans is improvement and hope at the MLB level. We're not getting that now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It was well documented by Theo himself at the winter meetings a year ago that elite players wanted to play for the Cubs regardless of what the teams condition was in.

Seems more likely to me that Theo is embellishing or the way they want to sign players isn't in line with what the players want(eg no trade/opt out).

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It was well documented by Theo himself at the winter meetings a year ago that elite players wanted to play for the Cubs regardless of what the teams condition was in. So they should have been able to get him if they wanted to.

The Cubs could have forced someone elses hand and made them fold, but it always seems to be someone else doing it to the Cubs.

Why are people always assuming that you if you offer a guy a little more money, a player is going to make that take precedence over the overall situation of the team? Why would he turn down a chance to join a rotation with Verlander and Scherzer? Sanchez's agent said the offer they received from the Cubs was for $75 million (some sources say $77 million) and the fact that the Tigers gave up a lot when they acquired him and Omar Infante from the Marlins, they were willing to spend more in order to keep him. The deal unraveled for the Cubs when the Tigers also included a club option sixth year at $16 million with a $5 million dollar buyout -- something the Cubs weren't willing to do.