Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
A potential reliever for a month of a player isn't a bad trade for anyside, really.

Sox got a lot of lottery tickets for De Aza, Dunn, and Beckham. Considering that Beckham probably wasn't going to be back, and Dunn is going to retire getting ANYTHING from them is a plus.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
A potential reliever for a month of a player isn't a bad trade for anyside, really.

Sox got a lot of lottery tickets for De Aza, Dunn, and Beckham. Considering that Beckham probably wasn't going to be back, and Dunn is going to retire getting ANYTHING from them is a plus.
Agreed. But we are talking sp, no?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They had in the paper the other day where the teams ranked hitting wise since the All Star Break. I had suspected it for a while and there is just no timely hitting on the team. We rank anywhere from 4-9 in slash stats yet bottom third in runs. So while it's nice we are hitting and getting on base we aren't doing anything with the opportunities.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
43 million for the books next year. you move danks contract you can pretty much fill in the holes with ease

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They had in the paper the other day where the teams ranked hitting wise since the All Star Break. I had suspected it for a while and there is just no timely hitting on the team. We rank anywhere from 4-9 in slash stats yet bottom third in runs. So while it's nice we are hitting and getting on base we aren't doing anything with the opportunities.

I always have maintained that you have to have a dangerous hitter hitting behind you if you want to continue hitting well for the most part. The 2nd half of the season our #4 hitters stank up the place. What then happened was that Abreau was getting plunked and did not get any good pitches to hit with power. It was a huge credit to his ability that he was still able to get on base and raise his average. This is the main thing that needs to be fixed next season along with two starters and two relievers.

They need a left handed hitting power hitter big time. Martinez is the obvious choice mentioned. Gillespie hitting in front of Abreau, and Martinez behind him would really score some runs next year. This is fixable a lot easier than getting four good pitchers by far.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Avi is a much better overall player than Viciedo.

Terrible comparison.

Yes he is a better over-all player......BUT, Tank is still only 25 and hit his 21st dinger today to win the game. I've seen progress in his ability to lay off slow stuff. Gets beat a lot on high hard stuff but so did Alexi in his first three years. Tank is still a promising player.

Svic

Liked Posts:
Yes he is a better over-all player......BUT, Tank is still only 25 and hit his 21st dinger today to win the game. I've seen progress in his ability to lay off slow stuff. Gets beat a lot on high hard stuff but so did Alexi in his first three years. Tank is still a promising player.

Agree. But he tends to get really bad. Very inconsistent but you can't deny his power. Has soooo much value. I think viciedo's future really depends on this upcoming free agency.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Again: .280 OBP for a 1B/DH? Pass.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agree. But he tends to get really bad. Very inconsistent but you can't deny his power. Has soooo much value. I think viciedo's future really depends on this upcoming free agency.

I agree with that. I think that in some way, the Sox have a tough decision to make. Personally, I hope that they stick with Viciedo. They do need a strong left handed hitting bat in the middle of their line-up. If that bat is an outfielder, then, I think that Viciedo will be traded, DH, or move to 1B spelling Abreau and DH with him.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
20+ HR don't make up for a .280 OBP + bad defence.

The guy is only 25 years old and was 2nd to Abreau in HRs. He has a good future, especially when you consider the age in which "prospects" are coming up in baseball these days. There is a solid possibility that Viciedo can be a 25-30 HR, 75-85 RBI guy in the majors while hitting out of the 6 or 7 spot in the line-up. That is pretty good in my eyes. That is very achievable by his laying off of the high balls just like Alexi learned to do. He has a good swing.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Again: .280 OBP for a 1B/DH? Pass.

OK. Now then........ you have a guy who is 25 years old and despite his age is experienced in the majors. He is under a very affordable contract. If you get rid of him, who are you going to trade for that is going to put up better numbers at the same or at least ball-park level? Power hitting outfielders, are pretty few and far between at affordable prices. Then also....... what happens if you trade this 25 year old talent and he figures things out. He has a pretty high ceiling as far as I am concerned and a GM has got to concern himself with the notion that if he gets rid of the guy and the guy blossoms , he may just get fired.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
The guy is only 25 years old and was 2nd to Abreau in HRs. He has a good future, especially when you consider the age in which "prospects" are coming up in baseball these days. There is a solid possibility that Viciedo can be a 25-30 HR, 75-85 RBI guy in the majors while hitting out of the 6 or 7 spot in the line-up. That is pretty good in my eyes. That is very achievable by his laying off of the high balls just like Alexi learned to do. He has a good swing.

OK. Now then........ you have a guy who is 25 years old and despite his age is experienced in the majors. He is under a very affordable contract. If you get rid of him, who are you going to trade for that is going to put up better numbers at the same or at least ball-park level? Power hitting outfielders, are pretty few and far between at affordable prices. Then also....... what happens if you trade this 25 year old talent and he figures things out. He has a pretty high ceiling as far as I am concerned and a GM has got to concern himself with the notion that if he gets rid of the guy and the guy blossoms , he may just get fired.

What has Viciedo ever shown that he is going to have a good future? Other than one year in Charlotte, Tank has been the same player: low OBP, a little pop, shitty defence. This isn't like its his first year as a starter, its his third and its the same old song and dance. If you trade Viciedo, why would you want someone putting up the same numbers? He was a -0.4 fWAR player this year. I highly doubt Hahn gets fired if Viciedo goes somewhere and blossoms.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gillaspie has been a hell of a find. I thought he was only a bench bat but I was clearly wrong.

Keep it going Conor.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What has Viciedo ever shown that he is going to have a good future? Other than one year in Charlotte, Tank has been the same player: low OBP, a little pop, shitty defence. This isn't like its his first year as a starter, its his third and its the same old song and dance. If you trade Viciedo, why would you want someone putting up the same numbers? He was a -0.4 fWAR player this year. I highly doubt Hahn gets fired if Viciedo goes somewhere and blossoms.

We will then agree to disagree. Alexi had trouble when he came to the Sox and he blossomed into an excellent short-stop. He is 25 years old and appears to me as starting to figure things out. He certainly isn't "untouchable" if you will, but I do not think that you write off 25 year old players with his kind of power. Besides, give me the name of the outfielder that you'd go after to replace him with at a reasonable price.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Viciedo... meh. 20 dingers ain't worth spit if you can't do anything else to help the team. They should just trade him and move on, like they did with de Aza.