Okafor

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
With Bob Johnson wanting to sell the Bobcats I wondered if we could take advantage of the situation. He is losing a lot of money and wants to sell the team for $300 - $320 million. Not going to happen. No chance. He would be lucky to get $220 million. If he is unable to sell does he start trying to lose some of his bigger contracts? Gerald Wallace is a guy that could be possibly be moved in this scenario but what about Emeka Okafor? Would you do Noah, James and the #16 for Okafor?

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Basghetti80 wrote:
With Bob Johnson wanting to sell the Bobcats I wondered if we could take advantage of the situation. He is losing a lot of money and wants to sell the team for $300 - $320 million. Not going to happen. No chance. He would be lucky to get $220 million. If he is unable to sell does he start trying to lose some of his bigger contracts? Gerald Wallace is a guy that could be possibly be moved in this scenario but what about Emeka Okafor? Would you do Noah, James and the #16 for Okafor?

Egh at first I wanted to bash this thread but This isnt bad at all come to think of it. Ofcourse we would need a scoring big next to him.

Hendu0520

Liked Posts:
I think we could keep the #16 pick no? Or would we need that to match salaries? If not than Noah and James should be enough in my mind. I am still up in the air on whether I would want okafor over Noah who should have a much better year in 09/10 which would put him right there with Okafor. Not to mention Okafor has a long term contract so that takes up a lot of 2010 money where we haev Noah for cheap for 2 possibly 3 yrs so I don't think I would do it.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Okafor is probably a pretty good target to get this summer. He definitely upgrades us defensively and offensively, but we'll still need to get someone better to pair with him as well.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Okafor is probably a pretty good target to get this summer. He definitely upgrades us defensively and offensively, but we'll still need to get someone better to pair with him as well.

I remember how Orlando was being made to look like idiots by people when they drafted Dwight or Emeka. Turned out pretty good I think ;) .

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

Would we ever start Okafor with Noah? To me, Okafor is an upgrade over Noah, but IMO, one that this Bulls team doesnt need to make. It would make Noah a bit redundant and long term, im not sure it fits. Noah is on a cheap deal.....we dont need anymore 6 yr, 72mil deals (im looking at you, deng).

Rose1

Liked Posts:
If you make this trade, you have to keep Noah because Okafor is a Power Forward. Management never developed Okafor into the player he could of been. He has played out of position since he has been there.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Would we ever start Okafor with Noah? To me, Okafor is an upgrade over Noah, but IMO, one that this Bulls team doesnt need to make. It would make Noah a bit redundant and long term, im not sure it fits. Noah is on a cheap deal.....we dont need anymore 6 yr, 72mil deals (im looking at you, deng).

I would take Okafor over Noah, as Okafor can really anchor a defense. But you still need to find an offensive four, unless you want to swing Deng at the 4, Salmonella at the 3, and Gordon at the 2.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
I would take Okafor over Noah, as Okafor can really anchor a defense. But you still need to find an offensive four, unless you want to swing Deng at the 4, Salmonella at the 3, and Gordon at the 2.

Sure. But do you want 140 million wrapped up in Deng and Okafor? Thats almost half your cap number per year (24 mil per), on two guys, who are a third or fourth cog in a good team at best. Okafor makes our defense a bit better, but to me, its money in the wrong place. Save that for Rose or a big time free agent. IMO, Noah will be just as good as Okafor in a year or two anyway (2008/2009 : noah was at 6 and 7 w 24 mins per game, while okafor was at 13 and 10 with 34 mins per game).

Id argue that you are better off keeping Noah on a MUCH smaller salary, with almost as much production, which will allow you to put those funds elsewhere.

IMHO, you need to assume Rose will be at 15-20 mil per season down the road, and if we want to be a serious team, we need 15-20 mil available for another premier player to put with Rose (hello amare). Adding Okafor makes that more difficult.

If anything, we should be looking to unload our 6 year, 72 million dollar anchor ASAP (and Im a Deng fan, but i dont want him on this team at 12 mil per year). Not add another one.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

Sure. But do you want 140 million wrapped up in Deng and Okafor? Thats almost half your cap number per year (24 mil per), on two guys, who are a third or fourth cog in a good team at best. Okafor makes our defense a bit better, but to me, its money in the wrong place. Save that for Rose or a big time free agent. IMO, Noah will be just as good as Okafor in a year or two anyway (2008/2009 : noah was at 6 and 7 w 24 mins per game, while okafor was at 13 and 10 with 34 mins per game).

Id argue that you are better off keeping Noah on a MUCH smaller salary, with almost as much production, which will allow you to put those funds elsewhere.

IMHO, you need to assume Rose will be at 15-20 mil per season down the road, and if we want to be a serious team, we need 15-20 mil available for another premier player to put with Rose (hello amare). Adding Okafor makes that more difficult.

If anything, we should be looking to unload our 6 year, 72 million dollar anchor ASAP (and Im a Deng fan, but i dont want him on this team at 12 mil per year). Not add another one.

Ideally, we'd get Okafor in a trade for Kirk Hinrich, in a three way, maybe Marcus Camby's expiring going to the Cats.

Then use our expirings and Noah/Thomas to bring in Amare.

PG-Derrick Rose
SG-Ben Gordon/John Salmons
SF-Luol Deng/John Salmons
PF-Amare Stoudemire
C- Emeka Okafor/Brad Miller

Then you just fill in the gaps with the MLE or LLE

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Ideally, we'd get Okafor in a trade for Kirk Hinrich, in a three way, maybe Marcus Camby's expiring going to the Cats.

PG-Derrick Rose
PF-Amare Stoudemire

OK, fair enough P03. I think that team is much better than what we have now, but most of that is because we land amare. But you are right, Emeka > Noah (for now), especially if we could provide a scoring PF to match him with. That allows Emeka to focus on cleaning up the boards and coming over for some help side blocks.

Edit: Being able to resign Gordon makes this team dangerous. The kick out open 3's hed get with Amare would be ideal for Ben's game.

dynastyVI

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:

PG-Derrick Rose
PF-Amare Stoudemire

I like that a lot. We'd be strong and athletic up the middle with Okafor and Amare. But Amare and Ben are the biggest wild cards. Who knows if we get them? I think that Okafor can be had, but it depends if Michael wants to help us out, like McHale did for Ainge.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
first of all, dynasty 6, you didn't say anything on your post.

second, i think that we can't give up noah for okafor. if we do this trade, we HAVE to have him at the PF position. he's played out of position for his whole career, and it hasn't given him any upside. i think that if we swap tyrus for this, i'm all for this trade

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
Okafor and Noah would be just fine by me. He has been severely underused and underappreciated in Charlotte. I'd happily deal Tyrus for him, too, but I do concede the financial unlikelihood of such a deal going down, unless some surprising and creative cap elements are added into the mix.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
PJ Brown wrote:
Okafor and Noah would be just fine by me. He has been severely underused and underappreciated in Charlotte. I'd happily deal Tyrus for him, too, but I do concede the financial unlikelihood of such a deal going down, unless some surprising and creative cap elements are added into the mix.

Jerome James + Tyrus would be good enough if Charlotte wanted to save money. They save a bunch on James deal with insurance and get a prospect back.

PJ Brown

Liked Posts:
Oh, no doubt. It would be easy to make a deal that works under the cap and might be considered realistic if Charlotte was inclined to save money, but I'm talking more about a deal that doesn't put the Bulls in such a vulnerable position long-term cap-wise (addressing arguments like "there's no way the Bulls can invest so much dough into Deng + Okafor"). I'd jump on the deal, but I can't help but concede the point that it is a financial risk. Still, especially if the mega-star big deals either aren't there or can't pan out, Okafor is a massive upgrade who addresses many of our most substantial needs.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
I'd love to get him now he's had two full season to show he can stay healthy. Really that's been the only knock on him up until this point, he's a very solid all around player.

Whether or not we'd be willing to shell out the benjamins to make it happen though I don't know.