Best Illinois restaurants NOT in Chicago

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Uncle Julios on Butterfield RD in Lombard I think. Great tex mex food. Get the chicken fajitas, you won't regret it.

Yes, it is on Butterfield, I work in the area and can see it from the window. I've never been there except to drink margarita's.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Yes, it is on Butterfield, I work in the area and can see it from the window. I've never been there except to drink margarita's.

Best burger in DuPage:
[video=youtube;dc3eT_4i9Dc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc3eT_4i9Dc[/video]

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
As someone who lives 5 minutes from both the one on East Lake and Harms, Hackneys is disgusting. Both locations have gone way downhill. Food is soggy and the service is meh.
Pequods in Morton Grove is the shit.

Holy shit. First post in almost two years...........

Iwritecode

Liked Posts:
It's not a restaurant, just a fast food chain but Beef A Roo in Rockford. It's the only fast food I ever eat when I'm back that way.

This times 1000.

They have their own salt and have the best fries ever.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been to beef a too, i liked it but the portion of my meal was not filling enough for me :eek:

winterwarz

It's not a restaurant, just a fast food chain but Beef A Roo in Rockford. It's the only fast food I ever eat when I'm back that way.

Also there's an Italian place called Cimino's way out in farm Country. The original is in Pecatonica and there is another in Durand. There may be others, those were the only two I knew of last time I was home

I'm from the Belvidere/Rockford area and miss Beef-a-Roo on a nearly daily basis. Lots of good food here but love Beef-a-Roo.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
As someone who lives 5 minutes from both the one on East Lake and Harms, Hackneys is disgusting. Both locations have gone way downhill. Food is soggy and the service is meh.
Pequods in Morton Grove is the shit.

Pequods, in my opinion, is the best deep dish in Chicago.

As far as Hackneys goes, it depends on what you order. I've been getting the fish tacos which are absolutely delicious. If you go there again, gives those a shot. You won't be disappointed.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Good list. Couple things:

1) Bien Trucha has the best mexican food in the country as far as I'm concerned. Luckily, it's 5 minutes away from me so I can go whenever. I recommend all of you to come out to Geneva and give this place a try. Will blow your mind. Get the shrimp diablo tacos... and start off with a margarita. Also get the corn and rice and chips with watermelon guacamole as an app.

2) I can't believe they included Abreo (Rockford) but left out Social Urban Bar and Restaurant. This place is FANTASTIC!!!!!!

bbuzzwinder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beef A Roo ROCKS. I live here in the Rockford area but every person that has ever come here to visit me (from all across America and three other countries) is amazed by the simple Beef Sandwich and Their KILLER FRIES. There is a movement locally to bring Portillos to the area but from what I understand they (Portillos) are worried about breaking into this market because of Beef A Roo's lock on the market. It is a local chain with six or seven stores in an area the serves around 250,000 people. Would still like to have a Portillos here but love me some Beef A Roo! Simple and Fantastic!

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Beef A Roo ROCKS. I live here in the Rockford area but every person that has ever come here to visit me (from all across America and three other countries) is amazed by the simple Beef Sandwich and Their KILLER FRIES. There is a movement locally to bring Portillos to the area but from what I understand they (Portillos) are worried about breaking into this market because of Beef A Roo's lock on the market. It is a local chain with six or seven stores in an area the serves around 250,000 people. Would still like to have a Portillos here but love me some Beef A Roo! Simple and Fantastic!

Portillos is overrated...they were great back in the 80's when only a handful of restaurants existed.

Question if you would be so kind:

Is there any decent Chicago style pizza in Rockford?...preferably thin crust.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Portillos is overrated...they were great back in the 80's when only a handful of restaurants existed.

Question if you would be so kind:

Is there any decent Chicago style pizza in Rockford?...preferably thin crust.

Yup, I'm not from Rockford but go there a few times a year. Lino's is the best bet for delicious thin crust. It's a hidden gem so it likely won't be too crowded when you go.

http://www.linosrockford.com/

bbuzzwinder

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup, I'm not from Rockford but go there a few times a year. Lino's is the best bet for delicious thin crust. It's a hidden gem so it likely won't be too crowded when you go.

http://www.linosrockford.com/

I agree on the Lino's topic. BEST pizza in town. My kids and extended family that have moved away from the area always want to go there when they're back for a visit. They do get rather busy in the evenings though and they do a tremendous amount of carry out. Great food!