Starlin Castro Called Up?

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
This solves absolutely for the Cubs offensive struggles. Castro is and never will be the middle of the order hitter the Cubs greatly need now. This is a knee-jerk reaction to the major league club struggling. He should be playing everyday in the minors and develop, not be rushed to the majors.

I'm 1000% against this.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
This solves absolutely for the Cubs offensive struggles. Castro is and never will be the middle of the order hitter the Cubs greatly need now. This is a knee-jerk reaction to the major league club struggling. He should be playing everyday in the minors and develop, not be rushed to the majors.

I'm 1000% against this.

were not looking for another power hitter. Cubs need to MANUFACTURE more runs in which he will help do more than Baker or Fontenot. He is alot more faster then those 2 plus this help our DEFENSE greatly. Theriot was ok at SS but now we upgrade at both SS, and 2nd

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Don't get overly excited, but give the kid a chance, don't act like it's the end of the world or like its a horrible move.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
:lmao:

God, the Cubs are a dumb/poorly ran organization.

Bringing him up right now as opposed to two weeks from now prevents him from becoming a Super Two and eliminates an extra arbitration year.

Do Cubs fans/organization really think that these next two weeks are do or die for their playoff chances in the NL Central?

Last edited:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:lmao:

God, the Cubs are a dumb/poorly ran organization.

Bringing him up right now as opposed to two weeks from now prevents him from becoming a Super Two and eliminates an extra arbitration year.

Do Cubs fans/organization really think that these next two weeks are do or die for their playoff chances in the NL Central?

Yes, we know these two weeks we "need" to get back in it. That's why we called him up (actually for defense, but this is how it works out). And does it really matter if he has arbitration a year earlier? I guess it does financially, but other than that it doesn't matter that much.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
It means you'll get one less arbitration year with him, thus if he's good you'll have to pay him a ton of money a year earlier then you would have if you waited 2 weeks.

Basically two weeks of Castro this year > an entire year of an affordable Castro in 2014 (?)

NextLevelChicago

Liked Posts:
I would rather pay Castro lots of money than any other player, he was brought up with in the organization!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It means you'll get one less arbitration year with him, thus if he's good you'll have to pay him a ton of money a year earlier then you would have if you waited 2 weeks.

Basically two weeks of Castro this year > an entire year of an affordable Castro in 2014 (?)

I understand that, but Ricketts doesn't seem like he'd mind paying him a year earlier.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I understand that, but Ricketts doesn't seem like he'd mind paying him a year earlier.
Every owner cares about the salaries of players. Even the Yankees have their limits and keeping a player in the minors until June to save money is smarter than bringing the player up earlier and having to pay the player a large amount of money when their arbitration clock winds down and they get closer to Free Agency.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't believe you guys took this long to call him up.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would rather pay Castro lots of money than any other player, he was brought up with in the organization!
Wow, this is a ludicrous statement. So what if he was brought within the organization, so are many players. When the Cubs have needs to fill and Starlin wants his big payday won't end pretty. MLB is a business as well as a game, and economics are a big part of it.

I'm glad you don't run the Cubs, you'd epically fail at it.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Every owner cares about the salaries of players. Even the Yankees have their limits and keeping a player in the minors until June to save money is smarter than bringing the player up earlier and having to pay the player a large amount of money when their arbitration clock winds down and they get closer to Free Agency.

I meant that Ricketts wants to win THIS YEAR, if this will help the team and increase chances of making the playoffs, then I'm sure he'd approve of it. I'm sure Hendry asked Ricketts if he'd be ok with the move too.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:

This man gets it.

NextLevelChicago

Liked Posts:
Wow, this is a ludicrous statement. So what if he was brought within the organization, so are many players. When the Cubs have needs to fill and Starlin wants his big payday won't end pretty. MLB is a business as well as a game, and economics are a big part of it.

I'm glad you don't run the Cubs, you'd epically fail at it.

So you would rather pay guys like Soriano huge money that dont deserve it, rather than Young Phenoms from your own Organization the fans would love you wow.. smh Castro will earn his money BOOK IT :cubs:

Lefty

Liked Posts:
So you would rather pay guys like Soriano huge money that dont deserve it, rather than Young Phenoms from your own Organization the fans would love you wow.. smh Castro will earn his money BOOK IT :cubs:

Unnecessary capitalization, FTW :rolleyes:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs are not worried about 2 or 3 years down the line. They are trying to win baseball games now. They needed a spark and they felt like this will do it. So far for one night it worked. Now we will see if it works for a long period of time.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Cubs are not worried about 2 or 3 years down the line. They are trying to win baseball games now. They needed a spark and they felt like this will do it. So far for one night it worked. Now we will see if it works for a long period of time.

So you're saying the new ownership group, who shelled out almost 1 BILLION dollars to buy this team, is not interested in the future, and that they are going all in right now? Okay pal....

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you're saying the new ownership group, who shelled out almost 1 BILLION dollars to buy this team, is not interested in the future, and that they are going all in right now? Okay pal....
This

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you seriously care about 3-4 years from now? Wow, how idiotic. These things will work themselves out in the end. So what if he is a super-2 player? Great. He deserves it. The Cubs will probably buy out his arbitration years anyways if he keeps hitting like this