Starlin Castro Called Up?

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Castro back to earth today.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Do you seriously care about 3-4 years from now? These things will work themselves out in the end. So what if he is a super-2 player? Great. He deserves it.

I don't particularly care about 3-4 years from now, but I guaran-damn-tee you the Ricketts ownership group cares a lot about that timeframe. And I don't know why it should be (or is) impossible for anyone to care about BOTH the near- and long-future of this ballclub. They can do both, and it makes little to no sense to call up Castro and bring him that much closer to free agency (and thus away from arbitration, when the player can ONLY negotiate with his current team), ESPECIALLY when all they had to do was wait another short period of time before the coast would be clear for him to be called up without long-term ramifications.

Wow, how idiotic.

No, what's idiotic is not fucking understanding how arbitration works, what a Super-Two is (HINT: it's not an award, even though it has "super" in its name) and how a franchise worth almost $1 billion could possibly be worried about a period of time that isn't tomorrow, next week, next month or even next season. :rolleyes:

The Cubs will probably buy out his arbitration years anyways

So they've already invested the extra millions it would cost to buy out an arbitration-eligible player in your mind? :rolleyes:

if he keeps hitting like this

He's had TWO GAMES at the major league level. If you can't reconcile that fact with your baseless thoughts and emotions, I don't know what to tell you.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
Do you seriously care about 3-4 years from now? Wow, how idiotic. These things will work themselves out in the end. So what if he is a super-2 player? Great. He deserves it. The Cubs will probably buy out his arbitration years anyways if he keeps hitting like this

Seriously dude?

The Cubs buying out his arbitration years is irrelevant to the discussion.

The point is the Cubs lost out on an additional arbitration year aka a year of him on your cash-strapped roster that's going to be still paying Soriano in 2014... for the cost of two weeks of Castro in a weak NL Central in mid-May.

You have to see the idiocy in this, you just have to.

StrandedCub

Liked Posts:
We are a big market team, this arbitration thing really isn't a big deal at all. We have the money and it really won't affect us much if at all.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
We are a big market team, this arbitration thing really isn't a big deal at all. We have the money and it really won't affect us much if at all.

Actually, it very well might be a big deal. Castro could now be arbitration-eligible going into the 2013 season, a year in which they already have $19 million outlayed for only one player, with 11 players on the current roster eligible for free agency. Now, I'm not sure if you're familiar with salary arbitration, but just know that it is quite possible, if Castro performs as well as everyone has hoped, that the Cubs will be forced to pay through the nose for him in 2013, and for another 3 years after that, at which point he will be eligible for free agency.

And, to be perfectly honest, you have no idea what the intention of the owner is in terms of investing in talent, home grown or otherwise. To believe that Castro's future arbitration issue is "not a big deal" simply because the Tribune Company gave Jim Hendry free reign to sign absolutely mind boggling deals is overly simplistic and really missing the point.

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Super 2 players are based on service time relative to other players. So we won't know for certain until 2013

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Castro now has an HR, 3B, and 2B in his MLB career, still no 1B.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Super 2 players are based on service time relative to other players. So we won't know for certain until 2013

Yes, that is true. But gee, I seem to remember formulating my post in a way that DIDN'T make it sound like Castro being a Super Two was a foregone conclusion....

Lefty said:
Castro could now be arbitration-eligible going into the 2013 season,

Yep, there it is. :rolleyes: More reading comprehension, FTW.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
He wasn't going to help the team at all. He can't come in from the bullpen, he can't hit for Lee or Ramirez and he cannot play defense everywhere on the field. There was NO POINT in calling him up right now.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
We'd love to hear from a Cubs fan or two with their take on Starlin Castro and the Cubs as a whole tonight when the show goes live, check the announcements section for deets.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow 3 errors tonight for Castro