Carmelo Anthony Praises Tom Thibodeau, Says System Works with 'Anybody'

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
as far as melo i'd love to add him....Rose or No Rose i think we offer a better situation than the Knicks...our play style meshes perfect with his

but of course Melo loves NY and they can offer allot more so im not getting my hopes up
The way he's spoken all season though makes me think he wants out. Even before the season began he was looking forward to free agency. Now, obviously the Knicks can offer him more money as can other teams with cap rooms (especially the Lakers). But if he's looking at a prime place to play with a great coach, its here. A sign and trade can be worked out (Even Cleveland made a sign and trade with Miami when all was said and done when LeBron signed).

So it'll be interesting to see this summer. I really hope it happens as I feel its Chicago's best option for fixing this team. Especially with the uncertainty that is Derrick Rose.

And to anyone that thinks this current Bulls team can beat Miami...lol.. keep dreaming. The Bulls matchup well with Miami, but they by no means dominate them (Like say the 2007 Warriors did over the Mavericks). Miami would need to have a complete meltdown for that to happen (Seattle Sonics 1994 style). Talent triumphs good defense and coaching just about every time in the NBA Playoffs.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I look at it this way about the Heat. The Bulls have proven that, when healthy, they can certainly beat the Heat. Unfortunately, they haven't been healthy against them in the play-offs.

Now they are healthy and are playing great basketball. Not good........GREAT. The Heat also are a year older and Wade is a shadow of himself. So things have changed. But the Bulls are still going have to step up and take it to them becuase they are a team of veterans led by the best player in the world.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
As to the article, remember that?

Yeah Thibs has a system that several role players have come into and had terrific years. Playing time combined with an offense that at times needs that selfish shot machine who is willing to fire it up and get his points. What is yet to be seen is if in Thibs system Rose can be the floor general and run the offense and who takes those shots. The other thing is adding Anthony is a different story, he's not a role player he's always been the big time scorer on any team he was on and he would more than likely have to cut back on scoring, look for cutters and pass the ball and really learn the defensive rotation. The Bulls don't really need Anthony to come in and score 27 PPG if it doesn't mean they score 12-14 more PPG as a team. If it comes at the expense of running the offense getting everyone involved and cuts into the scoring from 2-3 other positions, what's the gain?

Look at Boozer, he used to play more minutes in Utah, score more, rebound a little more and nobody even knew if he played defense. Now he scores less, his board are lower and he sits out the 4th quarter because it's obvious he is lacking on defense. He grudgingly has given up numbers and playing time and he finds himself on a very good team despite being without their best player and trading away an All Star. So the questions are, does Anthony value winning enough to cut into his numbers and work withing the system and will Thibs' system work with a superstar giving up some of the featured role the same way it does when role players get a more featured position?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
based on what?
I definitely think you can say that this team when healthy can push Miami to at least 6 games. It didn't happen in the past, but it could've happened. It's not like we won game 1 and got blown out by 40 every game after that. That said, it's still unlikely that we beat them as constructed, which I think we can all agree on.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we have to sign and trade for Melo to help the knicks recoup value I want no part of it, won't support it, will scream

Now if we can straight steal him and add him simply by cutting Boozer and trading Dunleavy and/or Taj. Ok....but if we ship them a package of assetts than Melo is just not going to be able to compensate for his own flaws while at the same time replacing a bunch of value. Living up to his contract as a max player is a big enouhg responsibility, the risk becomes too great if we had to through in #1's, Miro, Taj, adn a bunch of crap that would strengthen our opponent while weakening our future.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If we have to sign and trade for Melo to help the knicks recoup value I want no part of it, won't support it, will scream

Now if we can straight steal him and add him simply by cutting Boozer and trading Dunleavy and/or Taj. Ok....but if we ship them a package of assetts than Melo is just not going to be able to compensate for his own flaws while at the same time replacing a bunch of value. Living up to his contract as a max player is a big enouhg responsibility, the risk becomes too great if we had to through in #1's, Miro, Taj, adn a bunch of crap that would strengthen our opponent while weakening our future.

When the Heat and Cavs did a sign and trade for LeBron... This was the deal...

2011 second round pick (protected top 40 in 2011-12, unprotected in 2013) (2011 #54-Milan Macvan), Cavaliers option to swap 2012 first round picks (not exercised), 2012 second round pick (#34-Jae Crowder), 2013 first round pick (protected top 10 in 2013-14, unprotected in 2015) (2013 #30-Nemanja Nedovic), 2015 first round pick (2 years following the year in which Heat satisfies its obligation to convey a future first round draft pick to Cavaliers, protected top 10 in 2015-16, unprotected in 2017) (?-?), $14.5M trade exception for LeBron James.

TMac back in 2000 was sign and traded to Orlando for a conditional first round pick
(2005 #11-Fran Vazquez)

So it really doesnt take a whole lot as long as the Knicks are willing to play ball.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

Now they are healthy and are playing great basketball. Not good........GREAT. The Heat also are a year older and Wade is a shadow of himself. So things have changed. But the Bulls are still going have to step up and take it to them becuase they are a team of veterans led by the best player in the world.
ehhh i dont know if i would consider it "great basketball" despite the record...defense is great but offense is really bad...so bad a guy we picked off waivers is our leading scorer lol

and you're forgetting about Rose...hes not healthy and if we want a punchers chance at taking miami we need him healthy and performing at a high level

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm not sure anyone can acquire Melo via S&T if he has to opt out of his contract. I may be mistaken, but I think this was something that was addressed in the new CBA.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure anyone can acquire Melo via S&T if he has to opt out of his contract. I may be mistaken, but I think this was something that was addressed in the new CBA.

The new collective bargaining agreement that emerged in December 2011 after a 161 day lockout changed a number of rules on how sign and trades work.
Here's a summary of the new rules:

• Sign and trade contracts are reduced to a maximum of 4 years, with 4.5% percent raises. These are the years and raises used for non-bird players. In the past CBA, you could give the player maximum raises for maximum years if you had their bird rights, which would be 7.5% raises over 5 years in the current CBA.
  • Teams more than $4 million above the luxury tax cannot receive players in a sign and trade deal. If a team acquires a player in a sign and trade deal, then the team cannot go $4 million or more above the luxury tax for the remainder of the salary cap year. There were previously no restrictions.
  • There are also some changes to how Base Year Compensation is applied, but these are not applicable in the Andrew Bynum Situation, so I'll skip those for now.
In prior CBA's, the player had two major incentives to work with his previous team. The first was to be able to get the longer term contract and higher raises afforded to free agents with Bird rights. In this case, that would mean a 5 year deal with 7.5% raises. That is no longer possible, as sign and trade deals are restricted to 4 years in length at 4.5% raises, essentially removing the this incentive for players to work out a sign-and-trade.

The other major reason players would pursue a sign and trade was to go to a team that didn't have enough salary cap space to sign them outright. This incentive still exists, although it is restricted. In the current CBA, teams acquiring a player in a sign-and-trade deal cannot go more than $4 million over the luxury tax limit, either as the result of the trade or at any point during the remainder of the salary cap season.

To be fair, this situation didn't happen all that frequently in the past, although it did when the Mavericks acquired Shawn Marion, but it is yet another rule that would limit the possibilities available to the 76ers. With the luxury tax projected to be at $71.6 million, this all but rules out the Nets, Heat, Lakers, and Orlando as possibilities.

Where does this leave the 76ers? It takes them out of the running for teams that have the salary cap space to sign Andrew Bynum outright, as a team like the Dallas Mavericks now has no incentive to work with the 76ers. Although, to be honest, Bynum likely isn't going to have the demand to have drawn out that 5th year or maximum raises even if he were still allowed to get them in sign-and-trade deals.

However, if a team like Portland decides to pursue Andrew Bynum, the 76ers could enter the picture, as after the Thomas Robinson trade the Trailblazers do not have much cap space to pursue Bynum with.

However, there's one big problem here. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for at least 3 years in length. This was the case in the prior CBA as well, but with Bynum's injury history this is a major restriction.

So where does that leave the 76ers? They have to hope that a bidding war erupts for Andrew Bynum's services, that Bynum is able to command at least a 3 year contract, and that the team that wants Bynum the most does not have the salary cap space to sign him outright but is also not set to go more than $4 million over the luxury tax limit after the trade.

It's not impossible, but the odds may not be in Sam Hinkie's favor.

http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/...-the-new-cba-and-how-they-affect-andrew-bynum

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
So a player that terminates their contract can still benefit from Bird rights and re-sign with their last team. Then any S&T would be treated like any other Bird-able player coming off the books. IDK why, for a moment I thought if a player exercises an ETO, they would lose Bird rights.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So a player that terminates their contract can still benefit from Bird rights and re-sign with their last team. Then any S&T would be treated like any other Bird-able player coming off the books. IDK why, for a moment I thought if a player exercises an ETO, they would lose Bird rights.

Nope, the only change I can see really is they lose a extra year and raises while before it was just like signing with your previous team but then being immediately traded. So, the incentive is there to stay with your current team $$$ wise. However the way Melo has talked sounds like he's willing to take less, however I don't think he would settle for what we can offer straight up..But a 4 year deal with more $$$ in a sign and trade? He could deal with, but of course the Knicks have to play ball.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Update regarding this...

Brian Windhorst@WindhorstESPN 13h
.@LarryCoon projecting unexpected jump of $5M in salary cap for next year. If that holds, it's a game changer for Melo & his CHI/HOU options

Huge when we're talking about cap room to sign Carmelo without having to dump much. Obviously Boozer would be amnestied and possibly we need to move someone else / trade draft picks. Sign and trade may still be needed with Knicks to make it fully work.

K.C. Johnson@KCJHoop 13h
Been writing all along that Bulls will exhaust the Carmelo situation to its conclusion before moving to Plan B. If cap jumps, can only help.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'd rather trade for JR Smith. :derbulls:

ginny

Liked Posts:
A nucleus of Rose, Noah, Melo, Gibson, Butler and two first round picks is a very nice start to building a championship caliber team. Anthony seems open to coming to Chicago and seems to really like Thibs. Hopefully the Bulls FO can make this happen.

Add Mirotic to that list and this team is capable of great things for a few years.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Update regarding this...

Huge when we're talking about cap room to sign Carmelo without having to dump much. Obviously Boozer would be amnestied and possibly we need to move someone else / trade draft picks. Sign and trade may still be needed with Knicks to make it fully work.

Sure would be a good time for the Bulls to catch a break for once.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would be cool with a sign and trade...I am sure the Knicks would play ball if we threw in one of our first round picks. Shouldn't need much more than that though when you look at those other S & T deals.