The Importance of Soriano

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He just said! Veteran presence.

A vet presence that lead them to 66 wins last year. A vet presence that lead them to 61 wins the year prior. A vet presence that lead them to 71 wins the year prior to that. Excuse me if I question the value of a vet presence. And even if there is such a thing, why is Soriano the only player that can provide it? Cubs den just wrote and article about how Bonifacio was giving them that.

As for players batting under .175, they aren't starters or at least shouldn't be. The every day line up arguably should be Lake in LF, Bonifacio in CF, Schierholtz in RF and Valbuena at 2B. Those 4 players are hitting .263/.300/.526, .339/.381/.390, .250/.260/.313 and .207/.361/.241 respectively compared to Soriano's .226/.268/.434. Valbuena is obviously a temporary solution until prospects come up midseason but even then he's getting on base at 100 points higher than Soriano.

Soriano at this point in his career does nothing to get the cubs closer to a championship so frankly I don't give a shit he's not here. If you can't see that then I'm not sure what else there is to talk about. Does Black, Kalish or any of the other various players that are here instead of him get the cubs closer to a championship? I don't know but that's sort of the point. Hell, even if Black isn't even a big part of the future perhaps he ends up being a Justin Grimm type trade piece when the cubs eventually start acquiring players in trades. It's one more trade chip that didn't have before and that is getting them closer to a championship.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Rizzo hit .233/.323/.419 last year with Soriano for most of the year. He's hitting .333/.403/.519. That's being stunted? Similarly, Castro hit .245/.284/.347 last year with Soriano and is hitting .298/.322/.439 this year. So, you can make that argument but it doesn't appear to be the case. And even if I humor the argument, Soriano is hitting .226/.268/.434. If he continues that then how is he helping them?

In what, 12 games? LOL!!!!!!!

I will bet come end of the season that Castro and Rizzo's numbers are closer to last year's than their current numbers.