Lester or Scherzer?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I honestly think it'd be a pretty big mistake to trade Bonifacio unless you get a premium prospect back. He's extremely versatile as well as being a lead off hitter they don't currently have. The versatility is especially great because you're going to have prospects coming up who may struggle and need to get sent back down while others may play well. Problem is you don't know which will so having someone who can play all around the diamond is great insurance. I kind of hope that Lake can also move into that kind of role given his past infield experience once they start adding higher profile OF talent.

At this point, my personal feeling is the front office probably doesn't want to be selling off much at the deadline. I can see Schierholtz getting dealt because his deal soon is up and potentially someone like Vitters is knocking on the door. I could also see Hammel possibly being moved though given their lack of upper minors pitching depth I wouldn't do so unless you got at least a Wood level "failed" prospect in return. I think they'd need even more than Strop/Arrieta they got from Feldman for me to be comfortable with trading him. And the other potential candidate is Shark but that's only because the chances of signing him seem grim right now. But again, I don't really like their pitching depth and losing either Shark or Hammel and potentially both could really cause next year's staff to look really really shitty.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I honestly think it'd be a pretty big mistake to trade Bonifacio unless you get a premium prospect back.

LOL!!!!

A premium prospect?!?!?!?!?

Awesome, yet another crappy Cub player for another teams best prospect post.

Bonifacio was available to sign with any team after being released from the Royals and they would not have had to give up any prospect much less a premium prospect and he received very little attention.

After his hot start he is now 1 for his last 21. By the All Star Game he will be back to his .260ish ways and worth no more than minor league filler in a trade.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
LOL!!!!

A premium prospect?!?!?!?!?

Awesome, yet another crappy Cub player for another teams best prospect post.

Bonifacio was available to sign with any team after being released from the Royals and they would not have had to give up any prospect much less a premium prospect and he received very little attention.

After his hot start he is now 1 for his last 21. By the All Star Game he will be back to his .260ish ways and worth no more than minor league filler in a trade.

His top hits year was 167. few more than Castro's career worst year that many bash him for.

When he proves he can put up a season where he can pound out 180+ hits then we can talk about value.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
His top hits year was 167. few more than Castro's career worst year that many bash him for.

When he proves he can put up a season where he can pound out 180+ hits then we can talk about value.

Not saying people would pay it for Bonifacio just saying that Bonifacio has more value to the cubs in the short term than a Pedro Strop or that level of trade.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Not saying people would pay it for Bonifacio just saying that Bonifacio has more value to the cubs in the short term than a Pedro Strop or that level of trade.

Soriano had more value to the Cubs in the short term than what they got back from the Yankees.

Doesn't stop people falling over themselves praising what a great deal that was for the team.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly think it'd be a pretty big mistake to trade Bonifacio unless you get a premium prospect back.

Where do you come up with this fucking nonsense?
2r3bgcp_th.jpg

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Where do you come up with this fucking nonsense?
2r3bgcp_th.jpg

So you're suggesting it's a good idea to trade one of the few players that are hitting? As I said before, unless you're getting something significant in return why would you trade one of the few players who A) is hitting and B) can play at 4-5 positions as needed?

patg006

Liked Posts:
So you're suggesting it's a good idea to trade one of the few players that are hitting? As I said before, unless you're getting something significant in return why would you trade one of the few players who A) is hitting and B) can play at 4-5 positions as needed?

He is probably suggesting it is ignorant to even consider you could get a premium prospect in exchange for Bonafacio.

It is also laughable to consider that Bonafacio is actually hitting seeing as he is now 2 for his last 24, but now that I think about it, that might actually qualify as hitting on this team.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Pardon me,

I just chose this thread to reflect on what a pathetic attempt this organization is.

An owner unable to afford what needs to be accomplished, has no fucking business in this town.

Fans deserve better.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
I honestly think it'd be a pretty big mistake to trade Bonifacio unless you get a premium prospect back. He's extremely versatile as well as being a lead off hitter they don't currently have. The versatility is especially great because you're going to have prospects coming up who may struggle and need to get sent back down while others may play well. Problem is you don't know which will so having someone who can play all around the diamond is great insurance. I kind of hope that Lake can also move into that kind of role given his past infield experience once they start adding higher profile OF talent.

At this point, my personal feeling is the front office probably doesn't want to be selling off much at the deadline. I can see Schierholtz getting dealt because his deal soon is up and potentially someone like Vitters is knocking on the door. I could also see Hammel possibly being moved though given their lack of upper minors pitching depth I wouldn't do so unless you got at least a Wood level "failed" prospect in return. I think they'd need even more than Strop/Arrieta they got from Feldman for me to be comfortable with trading him. And the other potential candidate is Shark but that's only because the chances of signing him seem grim right now. But again, I don't really like their pitching depth and losing either Shark or Hammel and potentially both could really cause next year's staff to look really really shitty.

CW22, You're still beautiful at trying to sell it. Keep it going. Someday people will say you were right.

Liked Posts:
If both Jon Lester and Max Scherzer hit free agency, who do the Cubs choose?

Lester isn't going anywhere. The Sox will pay what it takes to keep him. JWH, Lucchino, & Werner aren't about to let their best pitcher, who helped them win 2 World Series, & was an ace in the 2013 playoffs, walk when they have no better options in free agency or within their own farm system. Especially if they think Theo wants him after the way the Sox agreed to let Theo negotiate a deal to go to the Cubs with a year still left on his contract with the Sox, only to get shafted on the PTBNL part of that deal with garbage in return. Lester is going nowhere. If anything the Sox need to add another ace to their staff because Buccholz is a constant disappointment.

patg006

Liked Posts:
If both Jon Lester and Max Scherzer hit free agency, who do the Cubs choose?

Josh Johnson.

He is about to undergo Tommy John surgery which makes him the ideal target for Theo and Jed to hope everything goes right and he is ready to pitch by next July so maybe he can make a couple starts so they can package him to a contender for a bunch of prospects most around here will completely over value.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Especially if they think Theo wants him after the way the Sox agreed to let Theo negotiate a deal to go to the Cubs with a year still left on his contract with the Sox, only to get shafted on the PTBNL part of that deal with garbage in return.

The Red Sox got shafted? LOL!!!!!!

The Cubs did them a favor by taking Theo off their hands. Giving the Sox a used Sammy Sosa jock strap would have been overpaying.

Liked Posts:
Josh Johnson.

He is about to undergo Tommy John surgery which makes him the ideal target for Theo and Jed to hope everything goes right and he is ready to pitch by next July so maybe he can make a couple starts so they can package him to a contender for a bunch of prospects most around here will completely over value.

Theo is pretty damn at drafting ball players, at least he was great at drafting them in Boston. But it takes a long time to develop them. It's not like Football where players are drafted & often expected to contribute a year or two. Theo & Lucchino got Boston up & running in 2002 & in the playoffs in 2003 due to good under the radar free agent moves with names like Millar, Ortiz, Mueller, & Nixon. With the exception of a few relief appearance from Papelbon in 2005, Boston didn't even really begin to reap the benefits of the players Theo drafted until the 2006 season & beyond. Theo can draft some good players that are keepers, it's going to take a good 3 or 4 years to see it, especially coming up from the bottom of the barrel.

Liked Posts:
The Red Sox got shafted? LOL!!!!!!

The Cubs did them a favor by taking Theo off their hands
. Giving the Sox a used Sammy Sosa jock strap would have been overpaying.

I thought so myself, but that's not the point. They didn't let him walk with the expectation of getting "Sosas Jockstrap" in return.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Theo & Lucchino got Boston up & running in 2002 & in the playoffs in 2003 due to good under the radar free agent moves with names like Millar, Ortiz, Mueller, & Nixon.

Nixon???

You mean Trot Nixon who was drafted by the Red Sox in 1993???

LOL!!!!!

Jesus I have heard some excessive Theo slurping in my time, but to give him credit for a player drafted a decade before he arrives has to take the cake.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The diffrence is basic. Payroll

patg006

Liked Posts:
They didn't let him walk with the expectation of getting "Sosas Jockstrap" in return.

They let him walk with the expectation of not having to fire him.

Anything they got in return was an extra bonus.

Liked Posts:
Nixon???

You mean Trot Nixon who was drafted by the Red Sox in 1993???

LOL!!!!!

Jesus I have heard some excessive Theo slurping in my time, but to give him credit for a player drafted a decade before he arrives has to take the cake.

My bad on Nixon, that was supposed to be Todd Walker in there. I'm not a big Theo fan either. However the one thing he did do was draft good players in Boston. The frustrating part with him was that he would trade them away like David Murphy for Gagne past his prime, trading away Sanchez for Suppan. I thought he was lucky with the Nomar deal.