Lester or Scherzer?

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If both Jon Lester and Max Scherzer hit free agency, who do the Cubs choose?

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Neither... lester n scherzer are gonna sign deals with a team that are WS contenders, not still putting pieces together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You had literally the same exact thread 6 days ago :shifty:

[video=youtube;IqIRpnsUvP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqIRpnsUvP4[/video]

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd probably learn towards Lester -- lefty, dominant in the post season, two WS championships, proven winner. Ultimately, I don't think he's an ace and that's what the Cubs need. It'd probably come down to how the rotation was constructed without adding an "ace" type guy. He's going to get close to $20MM annually given his accolades, Scherzer will probably fetch closer to $25MM annually. I feel like Lester has a much greater shot at staying in Boston than Scherzer does in Detroit, though.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Neither... lester n scherzer are gonna sign deals with a team that are WS contenders, not still putting pieces together.

Or the top bidder.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Or the top bidder.

Which will be either Yankees, dodgers, red sox, angels, etc.
Those are contending teams that will spend.
Cubs would have to offer crazy yrs and money to even attempt to lure them away from those teams.
not happening

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ive been on ccs since day 3 of this site and it always amazes me the pipe dream threads created so many times. i mean here and there is ok but this just is out of hand.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lester, but I doubt either of them hit the market. Wasn't this a thread before?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

I would rather have the Cubs get rid of E-Jax even if they had to eat half of his salary, and thrust money at E-Santana as a free agent and trade for Johnny Cueto.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The only logical answer is both with a long term extension to Shark. The rotation goes:
1. Shark
2. Lester
3. Scherzer
4. Price (yes they get him too)
5. Wood

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Despite the drop in velocity I honestly kind of like the fit with Justin Masterson, but I've become more and more enthralled with the idea that you can get by with a staff of guys that keep you in games if the offense is good. Either way this is the offseason they need to spend given the surplus of arms that are looking like they are going to hit the market (Scherzer, Lester, Masterson, Shields, Liriano) and the fact that money should be available next year since it was held back this offseason. Cubs ought to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 million dollars or more to spend.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Despite the drop in velocity I honestly kind of like the fit with Justin Masterson, but I've become more and more enthralled with the idea that you can get by with a staff of guys that keep you in games if the offense is good. Either way this is the offseason they need to spend given the surplus of arms that are looking like they are going to hit the market (Scherzer, Lester, Masterson, Shields, Liriano) and the fact that money should be available next year since it was held back this offseason. Cubs ought to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 million dollars or more to spend.

They will have 31.160 mil committed to 2015. This year they have 92,677,368 invested.

Commitments are 13 mil to E. Jaxx; 6.857 mil to Castro; Rizzo 5.286 mil; Soler 2.667 mil; Sweeney 1.5 mil; Concepcion, Gerardo 1.2 mil; Veras, Jose .150 mil option, Fujikawa, Kyuji .5 mil option.

In Arb:

Arb3 in 2015:
Arb 2 payments in 2014

Shark 5,345,000
Russell 1,775,000
Valbuena 1,710,000
Wright 1,425,000
McDonald 1,000,000

Arb 2's

Arb 1 payment s in 2014:
Wood 3,900,000
Barney 2,300,000
Ruggiano 2,000,000
Strop 1,325,000

New Arb 1's:
Jake Arrieta
Wellington Castillo
Arodys Vizcaino
Ryan Kalish

Losing to F/A this year:

Jason Hammel
Nate Schierholtz
Carlos Villanueva
Emilio Bonfacio
John Baker

40 man players under control
Logan Watkins AAA
Josh Vitters AAA
Christain Villianueva AAA
Matt Szczur AAA
Zach Rosscup AAA
Neil Ramirez AAA
Blake Parker MLB
Brett Jackson AAA
Dallas Beeler AA
Arismendy Alcantara AAA
Brian Schlitter AAA
Mike Olt MLB
Junior Lake MLB
Justin Grimm MLB
Hector Rondon MLB

Right now that is the landscape going into next year. SP wise they are losing Hammel only. They have James McDonald on the DL with Arb3 control next year.

They could just sell Hammel then back fill with McDonald as they did with Baker last year. If he proves sound they have Arb3 control. If he sucks then they can not offer arb to him.

That simple.

Shark they do not have to trade him. They still have control. A team would have to put up a offer that can not be refused IMO.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
They will have 31.160 mil committed to 2015. This year they have 92,677,368 invested.

Commitments are 13 mil to E. Jaxx; 6.857 mil to Castro; Rizzo 5.286 mil; Soler 2.667 mil; Sweeney 1.5 mil; Concepcion, Gerardo 1.2 mil; Veras, Jose .150 mil option, Fujikawa, Kyuji .5 mil option.

In Arb:

Arb3 in 2015:
Arb 2 payments in 2014

Shark 5,345,000
Russell 1,775,000
Valbuena 1,710,000
Wright 1,425,000
McDonald 1,000,000

Arb 2's

Arb 1 payment s in 2014:
Wood 3,900,000
Barney 2,300,000
Ruggiano 2,000,000
Strop 1,325,000

New Arb 1's:
Jake Arrieta
Wellington Castillo
Arodys Vizcaino
Ryan Kalish

Losing to F/A this year:

Jason Hammel
Nate Schierholtz
Carlos Villanueva
Emilio Bonfacio
John Baker

40 man players under control
Logan Watkins AAA
Josh Vitters AAA
Christain Villianueva AAA
Matt Szczur AAA
Zach Rosscup AAA
Neil Ramirez AAA
Blake Parker MLB
Brett Jackson AAA
Dallas Beeler AA
Arismendy Alcantara AAA
Brian Schlitter AAA
Mike Olt MLB
Junior Lake MLB
Justin Grimm MLB
Hector Rondon MLB

Right now that is the landscape going into next year. SP wise they are losing Hammel only. They have James McDonald on the DL with Arb3 control next year.

They could just sell Hammel then back fill with McDonald as they did with Baker last year. If he proves sound they have Arb3 control. If he sucks then they can not offer arb to him.

That simple.

Shark they do not have to trade him. They still have control. A team would have to put up a offer that can not be refused IMO.

Baseball Reference has the estimated payroll at 64 million with arbitration raises for everyone on the roster right now and not resigning any of the free agents. They can bring back Fujikawa and Veras for 11 million total, but more than likely you ought to be looking at about 50 million in payroll flexibility heading into next offseason. Add in Baez on the big league roster with Bryant knocking on the door and the time to invest into complimentary pieces is now, imo.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Baseball Reference has the estimated payroll at 64 million with arbitration raises for everyone on the roster right now and not resigning any of the free agents. They can bring back Fujikawa and Veras for 11 million total, but more than likely you ought to be looking at about 50 million in payroll flexibility heading into next offseason. Add in Baez on the big league roster with Bryant knocking on the door and the time to invest into complimentary pieces is now, imo.
Bringing BareAssed would be stupider than bringing Stewart back last year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bringing BareAssed would be stupider than bringing Stewart back last year.

Why? We honestly don't know if he is any good at the major league level or not since he got hurt right away. He had a setback, but if he pitches well in the second half he could be useful if brought back.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why? We honestly don't know if he is any good at the major league level or not since he got hurt right away. He had a setback, but if he pitches well in the second half he could be useful if brought back.

I meant Jose Veras, not Fujikawa.

I didn't mind the Fujikawa signing, and I hope he can come back strong.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I meant Jose Veras, not Fujikawa.

I didn't mind the Fujikawa signing, and I hope he can come back strong.

Ah okay was confused for the hatred of Fujikawa. Veras hasn't been good and doubt his option gets picked up. Still time to see about that though.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

They can just trade for them also.

Right now the 2 big trade chips they have are Hammel and Bonifacio. Both would bring back decent return value to a play off team. Pure lead off with speed that can field 3 positions and a #3 SP. Seeing how they got Strop and Arrieta back from Feldman and Clevenger ya.

I can not see them offering Veras jack and they will have to eat that amount on a cut. Fuji not so sure. He got injured. It would depend on what they agree on his as his value. Seeing how he was injured if he wanted another 4.5 mil they should pass. Not worth it. If he took a pay cut to the 2 mil range then sure get some return value out of the investment. I see a Baker ending though. Cut the losses.

Looking at 2015 SP
Jackson contract til 2016
Shark ARB3
McDonald ARB3
Wood ARB2
Arrieta ARB1

MiLB looking in:
Hendricks Need more time to judge him 2-1 4.82 ERA 1.13 WHIP. WHIP is good. Around the plate. No HR's given up. Maybe just the league culture. Still early
Rusin Could opt for MiL F/A. He might as he has been used as filler vs given a real shot.
Wada Little aged at 33. Who knows. He is the best arm in the system right now though.
Jokisch Seems like a Rusin 2.0 to me IMO. 25 in July. Little aged. Last year he took a step back in Tenn. Meh

So they should sign a F/A but they do not have to. That is what I see going on.

What I would like to see them do is extend Shark and Wood. Invest into what is working.

Try to off Jackson. He has been dead weight. Basically pay for him to play against them. That is an investment worth making IMO. Removing him alone improves the rotation.

See what they have and test it this year.
IE promote Wada. See if he is worth looking at. Arrieta should be back soon. They are looking at Arb1 with him. If he looks top of the rotation then lock him up now. James McDonald. He has one of the nastiest sliders in the business. If he starts to look like that guy again then invest into him. If not cut the losses. Kyle Hendricks, if he masters AAA then conciser going 6 deep in the rotation late season again to evaluate.

After you look at the in house this year and evaluate how effective they are then look outside.

F/A is after you exhaust all internal options. It should not be used as a flip tool. And it makes little sense to pay 8 mil for 10 wins on a bad team when a .500 mil can net the same 10 wins. Will it make the fans feel better? Yes but the end result is the same 10 wins and less cash avail for investment into run generation.

I believe they need to produce runs first and field a rotation that can keep the team in games. They need a lock down pen that puts up strike outs. Keep the ball out of play. That is it. Pitching match ups come into play in play off series. You have to get there first.