OT: Game 6: Magic (3) vs Cavs (2) Game Thread

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Pregame is just starting. In the shots around the stadium someone was wearinga Bulls jersey, but you couldnt' seee the number.

Cavs need to roll off 3 in a row. Lebron promised Ilgauskus that he would win him a championship. He already failed once in 2007 when they were swept by the Spurs. If they can't pull off a tough feat, he will fail again, when they were in a good position, as the overall number one seed. If they can't get it done this year, Ilgauskus might be a shell of himself when they actually win it, so it won't be as sweet.

On the flipside, Dwight Howard, at just 23 years old, could advance to his first NBA Finals. Dwight Howard, who has two seasons leading the league in rebounding and one season leading the league in blocks, would begin laying the groundwork for himself being discussed as one of the best centers of alltime if he could secure his championship.

The Cavs have their work cutout for them, but if any team, the Cavs seem more likely than most to pull off this. Percentages say they won't lose another home game, but, the Magic matchup brilliantly against the Cavs.

As Kenny Smith said, this is a different 3-1 animal than other 3-1 series, because if a few of the games lasted 30 seconds more, the Cavs could be up 3-1. It's not where one team has dominated the other.

Should be a great game tonight.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Re:OT: Game 5: Magic (3) at Cavs (1) Game Thread

On the flipside, Dwight Howard, at just 23 years old, could advance to his first NBA Finals. Dwight Howard, who has two seasons leading the league in rebounding and one season leading the league in blocks, would begin laying the groundwork for himself being discussed as one of the best centers of alltime if he could secure his championship.

How high do you think Howard will ever get on the center list? Hard to imagine him cracking the top five. Of course, it depends if you count Duncan as a center as well.

Out of the centers I've seen personally play a lot of minutes, I'd say I'd put him behind only Shaq, Hakeem, and duncan (if you count duncan as a center).

I think Russell, Wilt, and Kareem will also be listed ahead of him from older eras.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

dougthonus wrote:

How high do you think Howard will ever get on the center list? Hard to imagine him cracking the top five. Of course, it depends if you count Duncan as a center as well.

Out of the centers I've seen personally play a lot of minutes, I'd say I'd put him behind only Shaq, Hakeem, and duncan (if you count duncan as a center).

I think Russell, Wilt, and Kareem will also be listed ahead of him from older eras.

If Howard worked extensively with Ewing on a nice 12-15ft jumper, I think he could definitely crack the top 10. Right now, he relies too much on overpowering people and scoring at the rim. He's big but he's not as big as Shaq, who was bigger than anyone ever at the center position. There are big centers that can push Howard away from the rim, where his percentages drastically drop off.

Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq will always be the top 5 imho. Duncan will not be counted as a center since he's played almost his whole career at the PF position. He'll go down as the greatest PF of all time, and rightfully so. I just don't see Howard making it into the Top 5 centers of all-time.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

dougthonus wrote:

I think it really depends on how many championships Howard wins, since that usually has the most impact on people's decision when making such lists. Dwight will lead the league in rebounding for quite a few years, maybe in blocks as well, and will rack up a healthy amount of dpoy awards. He might be lacking in the MVP's because of Lebron, but if Dwight gets a little bit more of an offensive game going, and says improves to around 25 PPG, it will be hard to deny him the MVP, as he will likely be averaging around 14 rebounds a game as well.

Topping the great centers will be tough. He will be in the discussion when it's all said in done as a great center, the question is just whether it will be in between those guys, or ahead of them all. He's only 23, and still has a lot of room for improvement.

I think realistically, he's probably already better than Wilt or Russell ever were. I think Howard would have dominated back in their day, as he is physically imposing on much better athletes right now, although those two have clout on all time lists.

Kareem, Shaq, and Hakeem will be hard. Those guys were all great.

I think what will really help Howard is his great body. The guy doesn't get injured. He's missed a total of 3 regular season games in his career, and they were all this year. I don't know if he was actually injured, or suspended for elbowing someone, or why he missed those games. But how you rank on the alltime point/rebound/block lists comes in the discussions of great players as well. Howard should be able to have a career with a lot of games played, which should help his stat totals.

If he can't win a championship, or wins just one like Garnett for example, he won't have quite as much clout on the all time greats list.

MADman24

Liked Posts:

Diddy1122 wrote:
Wilt, Russell, Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq will always be the top 5 imho. Duncan will not be counted as a center since he's played almost his whole career at the PF position. He'll go down as the greatest PF of all time, and rightfully so. I just don't see Howard making it into the Top 5 centers of all-time.
I don't think Timmy has played PF since Robinson retired sure they list him at PF but watch the game and tell me he's not playing center. He plays the classic center role and I know you can move the two depending on personnel but I've always considered Duncan a center.

As far as Howard I don't think he will break the top 5 but it's certainly not impossible considering his athletic ability.If he can add a good post game and just a 10-12 shot to go along with his already dominate rebounding and defense then he could be averaging 28-30ppg, 13 boards and 3 blocks. It would be hard to keep him out of my top 5 list with skills and numbers like that but then again most people will be more concerned with titles and I have no idea how many rings he's going to get. I think there are too many variables to make a good guess so I don't know where he'll end up on most people's list.

RPK

Liked Posts:

Cavs look sharp today.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

It will be sad if the Cavs lose this after having a 22 point lead. Only a 12 point game now.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:
It will be sad if the Cavs lose this after having a 22 point lead. Only a 12 point game now.

If by sad you mean awesome. I agree completely.

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:

Me too, GO MAGIC!!

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

56 to 55, Cavs lead at halftime.

You can't keep throwing away leads.

It is getting a little ahead, but if Cavs can't get it done in these next 2 years, there is a legitimate chance that Lebron leaves Cleveland. Especially, if say, Dwight Howard wins the championship the next 2 years. And if Lebron decides to leave Cleveland, I would imagine that us and Miami would be the favorites to get it done.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

I'd agree. I think LeBron needs to win this year or next year to stay in Cleveland, however, I don't think it's a lock, because Cleveland will have max cap space to build around LeBron in 2010 as well.

They could make a commitment to LeBron and possibly get some other great players around him in 2010. A lot will depend on who signs an extension this off season.

sabixx

Liked Posts:

I think the magic are sending the cavs to their end tonight

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

sabixx wrote:
I think the magic are sending the cavs to their end tonight

Same. The Magic figured out how to break the Cavs defense, and that is to just have Hedo/Lewis drive in and throw short runners in. Cavs have been completley unable to stop those. Throw in some Dwight Howard post ups, and the Cavs have been in a world of hurt.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Cavs getting a very kind whistle tonight, and they're still trailing.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:
Cavs getting a very kind whistle tonight, and they're still trailing.

Lebron D*** riders wishing for him to pull off a miracle.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

Damn Boobie hit a 3.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

Heading to a game 6.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

Wallace trying to defend Dwight lol

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

Newskoolbulls wrote:

Ben actually still has the strength advantage over Howard, but Dwight has an advantage in everything else.

RPK

Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Ben actually still has the strength advantage over Howard, but Dwight has an advantage in everything else.

Wallace's defense is so fricken' overrated. He's too short and he can't jump anymore.

Cavs are better off letting Varejao guard Howard.