The Phil Emery Mock Draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The first pick ruins the rest of the draft, but besides Hageman I like it.

You might not like Hageman, but I am pretty sure that the guys in the NFL do.

You simply cannot teach what he is and if you have any faith in your coaching staff, which I think Emery does, you hand them Hageman and see if you can replicate Kyle Long.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Well written. Hageman like you said is scary - but he does possess a rare combo of size, athleticism, and at times great game tape. As you mentioned, the veteran presence on the DL now (not to mention the D in general with Briggs, Peanut, and Jennings) the locker room could help mold a young kid into a young professional. I personally would not pick him, but there is a SHIT ton of potential there.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears are going to go with a Hageman type guy it'd be Tuitt. He's a freak plus actual production. I don't think they go with either but Hageman at #14 is such a massive reach I don't see Emery doing it.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Bit of a head-scratcher taking Hageman at 14.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bit of a head-scratcher taking Hageman at 14.

Why?

He is ranked by many in the top 20-25 prospects and carries a 1st round grade from just about everyone associated with the draft.

If you do think he is a risk, does it shock anyone that Phil Emery would reach for a top athlete at a positon of need.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears are going to go with a Hageman type guy it'd be Tuitt. He's a freak plus actual production. I don't think they go with either but Hageman at #14 is such a massive reach I don't see Emery doing it.

I thought seriously about Tuitt, but I do not think that he has the eye popping athletic numbers that Hageman does. If you plug them both into Emery's athletic index I think Hageman comes out on top.

Is Hageman more or less of a reach that Tuitt?

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Why?

He is ranked by many in the top 20-25 prospects and carries a 1st round grade from just about everyone associated with the draft.

If you do think he is a risk, does it shock anyone that Phil Emery would reach for a top athlete at a positon of need.

Because it's highly likely the Bears could trade down into the low 20's and still get him.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought seriously about Tuitt, but I do not think that he has the eye popping athletic numbers that Hageman does. If you plug them both into Emery's athletic index I think Hageman comes out on top.

Is Hageman more or less of a reach that Tuitt?

IMO more of a reach, but that's because Hageman doesn't have the production Tuitt has and Tuitt IMO would test out better in the athletic stuff than Hageman would as well.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because it's highly likely the Bears could trade down into the low 20's and still get him.

If someone is willing to move down.

If he is still there at 20, which I have my doubts about.

But a reach of 6-10 picks is nothing for Emery. Long and McClellin were reaches by an entire round according to most boards.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
IMO more of a reach, but that's because Hageman doesn't have the production Tuitt has and Tuitt IMO would test out better in the athletic stuff than Hageman would as well.

I am a Tuiit fan and I could see either being the guy. When does Tuitt workout?

I think either would work. I like long arm DTs with the power to control an OG and steer the play. I do not know how much their production factors into Emery's equation.

It would be interesting to see where Hageman and Tuitt are on NFL boards, they are both difficult evaluations, but have the upside teams desire.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If someone is willing to move down.

If he is still there at 20, which I have my doubts about.

But a reach of 6-10 picks is nothing for Emery. Long and McClellin were reaches by an entire round according to most boards.
Yeah but I think reaching for a guy like those picking in the mid to low 20's in shallower drafts is different than reaching for a guy at 14 in a really deep draft. Not quite the same scenarios.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah but I think reaching for a guy like those picking in the mid to low 20's in shallower drafts is different than reaching for a guy at 14 in a really deep draft. Not quite the same scenarios.

McClellin was in a pretty deep draft.

I think at 14 there will be more polished players than Hageman, there will be more productive players than Hageman, but I really do not think those things are as important to Emery as they are to fans and draft media.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am a Tuiit fan and I could see either being the guy. When does Tuitt workout?

I think either would work. I like long arm DTs with the power to control an OG and steer the play.

Like I said I doubt Emery goes with either of them.
Tuitt worked out for scouts in Atlanta right after the combine and before his surgery. Never saw results from it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Aaron Donald is tough because he is so disruptive and tested like a monster.

But I think the Bears are far more likely to take Hageman/Tuitt than they are to take Jernigan, Nix or many of the other DTs in the draft who do not have the athletic ability or the upside.

Based on what we have seen from Emery would anyone be shocked if Hageman was higher on the board than Donald?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about but Hageman is such an Emery pick it's not even funny. I could totally see him being picked at 14. He scares me a lot but I am intrigued by his potential and his ability to play both DT spots. The author brought up a good point about having guys like Izzy, Ratliff, Houston etc to mentor him and make sure he lives up to his potential. We have a positive atmosphere here and I do think if Hageman succeeds in the NFL, Chicago would offer a lot for him to do it. He's not my ideal pick whatsoever, but I couldn't be too mad at it. Ultimate boom or bust but could be worth the risk. Overall, I think that is a great Emery mock draft.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Like I said I doubt Emery goes with either of them.
Tuitt worked out for scouts in Atlanta right after the combine. Never saw results from it.

He tweeted 4.8 40 which would be a wow time.

Who do you think Emery takes?

The Burning Bear

Liked Posts:
Based on what we have seen from Emery would anyone be shocked if Hageman was higher on the board than Donald?

Yes. Donald is "Short" but is a spectacular athlete and has a ton more production to go along with it. Other than height I don't see much that would put Hageman ahead of Donald in anyone's mind.