Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They have 2 players. Rizzo and Castro.

Castillo is replaceable.

Pitching Shark, Wood and Hammel. Rondon and Grimm look good in the pen.

Rest are meh. Ya Bonifacio looks good this year.

Here is an example of a core team problem:

Castro is hitting 6th due to a lack of run production. Schierholtz hitting .218, Olt hitting .194.

2nd example Sweeney hitting #2 batting .167 instead of Castro who is hitting .294.

The answer is they are not spending on talent. They are tossing out projects and replacement players.

The one I mentioned was Rizzo, I thought maybe two with Castro but there are almost as many rocks in his glove as there are in his head....so I wouldn't want his lazy ass either. Bring up all the kids, let them all play....wtf difference does it make? Try a little on the job training, hell other teams have done it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If they re-up with Bonifacio then it is another cost cutting mistake vs paying for legit talent or letting Alcantara get that playing time next year.

Eh... I think he can still play the OF and they would be fine. Schierholtz is likely gone. There's Vitters who could be something or could be nothing. Lake similarly is still developing. Bryant might end up in the OF. But honestly, you could say it's going to be 2-3 years before Almora/Soler sees the field from spring training. Even then you can throw him as a super utility player. I think he's fine and he's not really limiting anything. I get the idea that it stops them from going HAM in FA but they weren't likely to go hard into FA anyways. I'd honestly be more worried if they did nothing and just rolled with Lake, Vitters and maybe Bryant next year in the OF. Worst case with Bonifacio you're probably talking a .250 hitter. Worst case with guys they have now is no where near that good. You may not need him all 3 years in that sort of deal but he gives you a some what decent floor if players don't work out and given he can play lot of places he's great for injury protection.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1 win 2 loss. Par

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Eh... I think he can still play the OF and they would be fine. Schierholtz is likely gone. There's Vitters who could be something or could be nothing. Lake similarly is still developing. Bryant might end up in the OF. But honestly, you could say it's going to be 2-3 years before Almora/Soler sees the field from spring training. Even then you can throw him as a super utility player. I think he's fine and he's not really limiting anything. I get the idea that it stops them from going HAM in FA but they weren't likely to go hard into FA anyways. I'd honestly be more worried if they did nothing and just rolled with Lake, Vitters and maybe Bryant next year in the OF. Worst case with Bonifacio you're probably talking a .250 hitter. Worst case with guys they have now is no where near that good. You may not need him all 3 years in that sort of deal but he gives you a some what decent floor if players don't work out and given he can play lot of places he's great for injury protection.

What I see is Bonifacio being 7 years older than the core and taking away AB's from Baez and Alcantara.

As it is Alcantara is getting shuffled out by Baez at 2B. Then with Almora 2 years behind him there is not much time to develop him at the major league level.

I do not over value bench players.

They need to promote Vitters. That would be a start. Then they need to move away from platooning. Platoon
= rust and breaks rhythm.

So there is a place for him now. But I would not block Alcantara and Baez.

Now if they promote Vitters and then move Lake over to CF. Let that play out. If they suck then adjust as needed sure.

In the end Ricky needs to change or be changed. He was quoted that he wants Veras closing again because he was signed to close vs based on performance.

Meh thinks Ricky's management skills is making this team worse than it is.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
1 win 2 loss. Par

54-108 at that rate. That would ensure the #1 pick next year.

Now that's aiming high.

BTW, Schierholtz STINKS! What, did he have like 6 guys LOB and facing a righty? You know, the reason he is supposed to be in there for and with the wind blowing out to boot? Pathetic!

He has about as much business batting clean-up........scratch that. He has about as much business being in the line-up, as I do.:turrible:

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Oh, and Veres should be cut. Like, literally cut. He blows.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bright side is Kris Bryant is 2-4 with 3 RBI's tonight.

Go future!

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Bright side is Kris Bryant is 2-4 with 3 RBI's tonight.

Go future!

Well the future better start raking across the board if they are going to stand a chance at doing anything by 2018.

Did anyone see Jed feeding his face in the club box today with Theo directly behind him? It looked as if Jed was enjoying himself as if dad had bought his first hot dog at his first game, and it looked like dad (Theo) was about ready to puke. :lol:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well the future better start raking across the board if they are going to stand a chance at doing anything by 2018.

Rizzo is raking so there's that too. If he continues he's probably a top 5 1B by the end of the year. If so, that's definitely not a bad thing for a 24 year old 1B who's locked up long term.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Still early with Rizzo. Good so far.

I'm just glad Bryant is raking. Just means they will push him up faster. Of all of the prospects he has the best chance of being a all star. Baez has the highest top end but well we will see there.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Still early with Rizzo. Good so far.

He's going to come down to earth some but there is an obvious difference between last year and this. He hit .189 vs lefties last year and is hitting .348 over 26 PAs this year including some pretty decent lefties like Liriano(yes Liriano crushed him opening day but just saying that's with it). Also, similar to Bonifacio he's not striking out as much. He's at 12.9% vs 18.4% last year and 16.8% k rate the past two. If he had a totally unsustainable BABIP like .450 or something I'd be a bit more concerned but at .360 it feels a bit more real.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's going to come down to earth some but there is an obvious difference between last year and this. He hit .189 vs lefties last year and is hitting .348 over 26 PAs this year including some pretty decent lefties like Liriano(yes Liriano crushed him opening day but just saying that's with it). Also, similar to Bonifacio he's not striking out as much. He's at 12.9% vs 18.4% last year and 16.8% k rate the past two. If he had a totally unsustainable BABIP like .450 or something I'd be a bit more concerned but at .360 it feels a bit more real.

Still high, but he will normal out. Rizzo looks better against lefties because he looks like he is just trying to make contact. I will take that. I dont know if he will ever have power against them, but he has seemed to make better contact this year against them. He is still a sucker for hard and inside but he has done so much better this year against guessing. I havent seen a at bat of his that I have seen him guessing which is awesome to me. He seems to be thinking of more than just one pitch. His hands are a bit higher this year which is also much better to me. He gets his hands in the hitting zone faster. Rizzo has been more impressive this year then last by approach. We will see where it goes, but it makes me way more happy about him.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Did anyone see Jed feeding his face in the club box today with Theo directly behind him? It looked as if Jed was enjoying himself as if dad had bought his first hot dog at his first game, and it looked like dad (Theo) was about ready to puke. :lol:
Crap. I missed it! I would have loved to have seen that. :D