Final Fantasy XIV

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One other thing is that because the dungeon roulette thing is such good XP, you will often wind up with very high level people in a low level dungeon. These people might be on their 2nd or 3rd class and could have run that dungeon a bunch of times. And sometimes they can forget what its like to be learning if for the first time.

Usually, if some dps is being an asshole and running ahead and pulling shit, I just leave the enemy on him and let him die. Healers will often do the same thing and ignore dps that are being dumb asses and just let em die.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are either of you guys on the Balmung server? If you are, we can team up for some shit.

And if you are having problems with people in general, I suggest switching to a RP (role-play) server. These servers tend to have way more friendly people with a much lower competitive feeling. I think it costs money to switch servers, but it might be worth it if you are having a hard time finding a good free company or if it seems like there are a ton of shitty people.

And on RP servers, you don't actually have to RP at all. There just tends to be way more people that just enjoy the game instead of trying to be super elitist and shit.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Are either of you guys on the Balmung server? If you are, we can team up for some shit.

And if you are having problems with people in general, I suggest switching to a RP (role-play) server. These servers tend to have way more friendly people with a much lower competitive feeling. I think it costs money to switch servers, but it might be worth it if you are having a hard time finding a good free company or if it seems like there are a ton of shitty people.

And on RP servers, you don't actually have to RP at all. There just tends to be way more people that just enjoy the game instead of trying to be super elitist and shit.

I'm on the Marlboro server, I have a good buddy who plays on Behemoth and I was considering switching to that later on, but I'm flexible as to where to switch.

I was invited to a free company in my early levels and I accepted it not really knowing what it meant, I'm sure I can leave it.

I finished Ifrit last night on the first try and I am just about to join The Maelstrom Grand Company. I'll switch servers as long as it doesn't cost more than a couple dollars.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm on Cactuar. I found a what I thought was a decent free company but it's almost all level 50 people and are focused on the end game.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, well the game has been out a while. But you should ask lots of questions in chat. And if they don't help you out and aren't nice about it, you should leave and find another FC.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Behemouth is another rp server. I've heard good things about it.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
And what's the main difference between RP and the other one?

Bump in case bot didn't see it. I don't know either. Are we the only three nerds that play this game?

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Lol, well considereding it has 2 million registered players, we might just be the only 3 bears fans.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Bump in case bot didn't see it. I don't know either. Are we the only three nerds that play this game?

I'm at LV. 32 right now and couldn't get close to beating the Gladiator Quest that's unlocked at 30. I have 26,000 in Gil, I might just buy some stuff to raise my iLV.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
How did you find ChiCitySports? There are plenty of avenues we've been trying to hit to get more exposure and people to the site. How did you get here?

Myself, I ran the old ChiCitySports and Zack recently hit me up about getting it started back up. So you can credit Zack for this creation.

Is that the Highbridge one? I died a few times before I figured it out. Mages must die first. Then kill all the lower enemies that way all the other people will focus on the boss.

I'm not sure why it just quotes rush. :shrug:

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Is that the Highbridge one? I died a few times before I figured it out. Mages must die first. Then kill all the lower enemies that way all the other people will focus on the boss.

Ok, cool, I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In theory, rp servers are for people that want to role play their characters. ie, they want to create a back story and stay in character while playing or chatting. They interact as if they really were their character. And they get all into the lore and shit. They tend to not be so focused on leveling or gearing or pvp. They often spend their time exploring or get into crafting or just being social.

But it reality, only some people on rp servers really want to rp. Or some people just want to rp occasionally and not all the time. Mostly rp servers are just for people that are more mellow about competitive aspects of the game. RP servers tend to be more friendly, helpful, and social. The guilds tend to be more open to casual players that arent obsessed with being the top raid team. There also tends to be less trolls and kids.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Other servers can be official or unofficial PvE or PvP servers. They tend to attract people that want to focus on those types of gameplay and excel at them. RP is a more social, laid back focus. Out of all 3, the PvP servers tend to have the most douchebags.

Oh, also I am generalizing across all mmo's. FF14 for example doesn't seem to have a real big PvP community, probably since its not really emphasized in the game.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm at LV. 32 right now and couldn't get close to beating the Gladiator Quest that's unlocked at 30. I have 26,000 in Gil, I might just buy some stuff to raise my iLV.

The best way to gear is to just run the highest level dungeon you can get into over and over. Maybe buy a weapon if you need to. Just keep in mind that all the stuff you get will be obsolete pretty quickly. Except that now with the glamours system, if there is gear that you think is cool, you can keep it and use it as a skin for better rated gear.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
The best way to gear is to just run the highest level dungeon you can get into over and over. Maybe buy a weapon if you need to. Just keep in mind that all the stuff you get will be obsolete pretty quickly. Except that now with the glamours system, if there is gear that you think is cool, you can keep it and use it as a skin for better rated gear.

Ok. Cool, I'm Lv. 10 Conjurer, and have yet to do a guildhest. Will be a paladin shortly! Quick question Bot, as a paladin, how often will I be healing? I know i will be a secondary healer, but between pulling enemies, attacking, and healing, about what percent of my dungeon time will be spent doing these three things?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You mean healing other people? You will spend 0 time healing others. Heal abilities are to heal yourself only. They are there just to help make things a little easier for the healer. They are like oh shit buttons. With a real good healer, you won't even need them except for the hardest content.

But if you are good, you will notice a Boss's big moves and learn to use your self heals or damage mitigation skills timed to minimize their toughest hits. Basically, just about every boss uses their abilities in a rotation (it can be pretty long) and as you get used to them, you will learn to how to time your abilities to help the healer out.

As far as damage, you only deal damage as a means of keeping aggro. Don't stress about making sure you are contributing damage to the group.

As a tank, if you keep enemies off the other players and keep their cones and aoe's pointed away from the group you are doing a great job. If you make a habit of facing the enemy's ass to the group and marking mobs with numbers, than you are bad ass.

Note - if you try other classes and run some dungeons, you will notice there are a lot of bad tanks. Ass, there are a lot of dumb ass dps. Its kind of a running joke that dps are dummy classes. So if dps aren't attacking in the right order or if they are pulling or any other dumb shit, DO speak up. As the tank, you are boss.

Before boss fights, you should ask if ppl know the fight. And if not, be prepared to explain at least the main points.

And also, at the end of the dungeon or an especially hard boss fight, always always thank your healer (assuming they didn't suck). Tell people when you notice them doing a good job!

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
You mean healing other people? You will spend 0 time healing others. Heal abilities are to heal yourself only. They are there just to help make things a little easier for the healer. They are like oh shit buttons. With a real good healer, you won't even need them except for the hardest content.

But if you are good, you will notice a Boss's big moves and learn to use your self heals or damage mitigation skills timed to minimize their toughest hits. Basically, just about every boss uses their abilities in a rotation (it can be pretty long) and as you get used to them, you will learn to how to time your abilities to help the healer out.

As far as damage, you only deal damage as a means of keeping aggro. Don't stress about making sure you are contributing damage to the group.

As a tank, if you keep enemies off the other players and keep their cones and aoe's pointed away from the group you are doing a great job. If you make a habit of facing the enemy's ass to the group and marking mobs with numbers, than you are bad ass.

Note - if you try other classes and run some dungeons, you will notice there are a lot of bad tanks. Ass, there are a lot of dumb ass dps. Its kind of a running joke that dps are dummy classes. So if dps aren't attacking in the right order or if they are pulling or any other dumb shit, DO speak up. As the tank, you are boss.

Before boss fights, you should ask if ppl know the fight. And if not, be prepared to explain at least the main points.

And also, at the end of the dungeon or an especially hard boss fight, always always thank your healer (assuming they didn't suck). Tell people when you notice them doing a good job!

Ok good, I was thinking that being a supplemental healer, especially with a PS4 controller, would be really difficult.

I've done a few guildhests as a healer and was paired with a few bad tanks, but I have handed out a good few commendations as well as received some.

I've had the game for 12 days and am proud to say I'll finally be a paladin by tomorrow.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears

Brayflax Longstop is prob my favorite dungeon so far and I'm not a dinosaur nerd or anything. Graphics and art wise it's damn beautiful. I managed to run that dungeon to near perfection but then I played Qarn at Lv. 36 and got my ass handed to me real bad.

My iLv is 29 and I have 35k Gil in the bank, I'm up to date and a little beyond where I should be in the main scenario so I'm wondering if I should go to the auction house and shell out a good 10-15 grand to raise my iLv. I was not prepared for Qarn, not at all.

And it doesn't help that I mark a target and the 2 dps each attack different enemies. Keeping the attention on me when they do shit like that makes it nearly impossible for me to be an effective tank, but of course I get blamed.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Qarn is one of the most mechanics heavy dungeons in the whole game. Its pretty tough. Def want to watch a guide.

Also, if dps wont attack in the order you mark, then ask them to. If they don't after that then they are probably assholes. If a dps is ever causing problems for the tank or healer then they are fucking up a simple role. They might be overleveled dicks that think you should be able to keep aggro no matter what if you are a good tank, but they are wrong.

DPS is the easiest role in every mmo ever made. They have the least amount of responsibility and least amount of mechanics to deal with. If they purposely make shit harder than they are being fucking assholes. If a DPS keeps pulling aggro and won't follow directions after being asked politely a couple times, I just let him die. Or vote kick him.