Final Fantasy XIV

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Anybody else playing this?

I got it for PS4 when it released on Tuesday and although MMO's were never quite my bag, I have to say this one is excellent from what I've seen so far. The game is set up so one would never need to create an alternate character because switching classes is as easy as visiting it's corresponding guild and switching to the necessary weapon. Very cool. The combat is very fast paced and combo influenced.

Another great feature is the option to connect a PS Vita directly to your PS4 allowing you to run the game flawlessly off the handheld screen, freeing up the TV for a complaining girlfriend and/or child. Of course the game is also available for PC.

I'm almost to the point where group play is necessary and if anybody would like to join up my gamertag is Sweetness_3423.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I play on Balmung server.

Btw, if you are gon play a mmo on a console, plz plz plz plug in a keyboard and use it to communicate. Nothing worse that grouping with someone that wont communicate.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I play on Balmung server.

Btw, if you are gon play a mmo on a console, plz plz plz plug in a keyboard and use it to communicate. Nothing worse that grouping with someone that wont communicate.

I had to take a break from it (one due to grade school) because I couldn't get past this one dragon boss. I forget the name already. It around level 30. Nobody would communicate and they couldn't keep my alive. Tankin ain't easy.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In dungeon or something?

Not sure where you were or if you have played a mmo before, but the name of the game is mechanics, especially for tanks. When I tank I try to always look up the mechanics for a new boss fight before starting it. I like this persons guides a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5BtIO_vMNvds5sgE-JI6KA

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's the Brayflox last boss. I like to try and learn on my own first but I had figured out what to do, my help just sucked and blamed me. I keep the dragons attention and drew it away from the poison pools. It's such a long dungeon I haven't been back after the last time.

Will the subscription transfer to ps4 or no?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the sub transfers, but PC is way better if you have the choice.

As far as dungeons go, if you are tanking, you are expected to be the leader. Usually you need to be the one telling people what to do and explaining the main phases of the fight.

If its your first time and you have not watched a video, you can ask people what to do, and someone should be able to tell you. However, since FF14 is available on console and most ppl don't have keyboards, sometimes people don't really talk. Which is a problem in MMO's.

Usually if you are trying to go in blind and learn the fight through trial and error, you probably need to form a group with people you know or are in your guild (free company) or something. Most of the time, people will be kinda mad if the tank doesn't know what is going on. And as the game goes on, the fights get pretty complex.

If you are new to MMO's I would recommend against tanking with your first character. Its pretty much the most important role and groups cannot succeed with a bad tank.

Here are a few quick tips. Maybe you know all this anyway, but its worth noting:

1. When pulling enemies, always run through them so that they wind up with their backs to the group. This is important to keep aoe attacks off your party. Its also important because melee classes like bard and lancer need to attack the enemies' rear. If you position the enemies with their back towards the way you came (previously explored areas), this makes sure the melee dps are not moving into new areas to get at the rear and and potentially pulling more enemies.

2. Mark enemies as you pull. In dungeons, tanks need to have markers in one of their hot bars (marks 1-3 is enough). As you pull a group, you need to mark them in the order you want dps to attack them (1-3). This keeps all the damage focused on 1 enemy at a time and will make your life as a tank much easier. You will only be managing aggro on 1 enemy at a time (though you will have to aoe the other enemies or cycle an attack through them every now and then to keep them off the healer).

3. As a tank you need to be vocal. Even if people don't respond, they are probably still reading what you say. So if someone is doing something wrong or you can tell they don't know what is going on, it's the tank's job to give them instructions. In a gentle way of course.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My main character is a warrior tank, but I also have bard dps leveled to 50. I go back and forth because sometimes the responsibility of being a tank gets annoying or just too much work.

Then I switch to Bard and get to just dps which is generally way easier. But then its just a matter of time before you play with too many bad tanks in a row and I go back to my tank, lol.

There is also healer which is a great role. Its sort of intermediate in terms of complexity. And you are more important than dps. But playing heals with a bad tank really really sucks.

Again, not sure if you are new to MMO's, but its the tank-healer team that make these games go around.

But the best advice for mmo's is to find a big, active, and friendly guild to join and then ask lots and lots of questions.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
One last tip for tanking - never ever use provoke to pull enemies.

Its prob the most common mistake. In the game, there is an aggro table. Every point of damage adds one point of aggro (and every heal adds half a point of aggro). Whoever has the highest aggro points on a given creature gets attacked by that creature. Some tank abilities add more aggro (or hate) points than just the damage.

The way provoke works, is it puts you at the top of the aggro table by one point. If an enemy is attacking your healer and the healer has 300 aggro points on it, provoking that enemy will put you at 301 aggro points. This can be really useful. But keep in mind you will have to follow up provoke with something to add more aggro points or the healer or whoever will just surpass you again.

Here is the think with using provoke to pull an enemy. Before you pull, its at 0 aggro points. If you provoke it, it will result in exactly 1 aggo point on that enemy (0+1). You are much better off using flash, a regular attack, shield throw, tomohawk, or whatever.

The only time you should pull with provoke is if you are just trying to take advantage of its crazy long range. Just keep in mind you will have to follow up with over attacks when it gets close.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
One last tip for tanking - never ever use provoke to pull enemies.

Its prob the most common mistake. In the game, there is an aggro table. Every point of damage adds one point of aggro (and every heal adds half a point of aggro). Whoever has the highest aggro points on a given creature gets attacked by that creature. Some tank abilities add more aggro (or hate) points than just the damage.

The way provoke works, is it puts you at the top of the aggro table by one point. If an enemy is attacking your healer and the healer has 300 aggro points on it, provoking that enemy will put you at 301 aggro points. This can be really useful. But keep in mind you will have to follow up provoke with something to add more aggro points or the healer or whoever will just surpass you again.

Here is the think with using provoke to pull an enemy. Before you pull, its at 0 aggro points. If you provoke it, it will result in exactly 1 aggo point on that enemy (0+1). You are much better off using flash, a regular attack, shield throw, tomohawk, or whatever.

The only time you should pull with provoke is if you are just trying to take advantage of its crazy long range. Just keep in mind you will have to follow up with over attacks when it gets close.

First off, I apologize for not keeping up with a thread I created, you can thank the thread topic for that lol.

Coincidentally, I am a LV. 20 Tank that just finished the second dungeon. (1st dungeon in Grinadia) I have considered plugging in a USB keyboard but I feel like i haven't really needed it yet at this early of a level. I feel like I have done a very good job tanking so far in the two dungeons I have completed, leading the group and stuff.

Marking enemies seems to worry me though, as I am not sure how well doing so will translate over to a controller. I hope I will be able to do it fast enough and continue to attack, shield bash, and riot blade in order to keep my MP up because I tend to spam Flash sometimes. I have yet to mark an enemy and I have been successful but I know that will change as the challenge increases. I don't even know how to mark but I will try and figure that out right now.

Thanks Bot for the feedback.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It gets way easier to hold aggro as you get more skills and eventually your job. Lowby tanking sucks.

As for marking, you can bring up the menu and drag them into your hotbar. And if its too much of a pain with a controller, you can always just use the 1 mark and keep switching it right before the current target dies.

But its good to mark cause it can be hard to tell who the tank is attacking, especially for ranged. And, at the end of the day, it just makes you life easier. Its a pain in the ass when everyone is attacking different shit at the same time.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not sure where the markers are in the menu and how to drag them. I did learn how to make macros for mark 1,2,3, and 4. It's tough switching between bars to do that really fast and then back to my main bar. I'm prob just not fast enough yet and have to work on it

Mitchapalooza

I used to play Runescape haha. Only mmorpg I ever played. Still go on from time to time.

Sent from Cuba

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure where the markers are in the menu and how to drag them. I did learn how to make macros for mark 1,2,3, and 4. It's tough switching between bars to do that really fast and then back to my main bar. I'm prob just not fast enough yet and have to work on it

On the pc its shift + m

I don't know on console. I'm sure you could look it up. Its the same thing as macros tho. And you are gonna have to get fast at switching sooner or later. I know its possible though, cause I have played with people that are real good and they use all their abilities.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Okay cool, I figured it out and put Mark 1 on the left side of my 1st hot bar. I'll get good at marking 1 and move in to two, etc. If I could just get the damn Chocobo already...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hit me up if you need any more tips, man.

I will add one more thing. If you run dungeons as they become available just one or 2 times and do only the main story quest, you will get more than enough xp to stay on pace with the story progression. If you do side quests too, you will be very overleveled well before you finish the main story. And thats not even considering leves, fates, or grand company quests.

I recommend skipping all the side quests. You just don't need the XP. And its nice to save something to do for leveling a 2nd class. Once all the side quests are done, all there is to do is grind leves, fates, and roulettes. That can get boring, so its nice if you left some side quests to break things up.

Oh, also do the daily dungeon roulette as often as you can. Huge XP gain.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I must suck at tanking. Tried the Brayflox thing again. Last boss I do what I'm supposed to do I think by turning the dragon and avoiding the AOEs. He starts spitting the acid that heals him and I end up dieing. And they blame me. I don’t get it. It's my job to keep his attention and move him when need be right.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Hit me up if you need any more tips, man.

I will add one more thing. If you run dungeons as they become available just one or 2 times and do only the main story quest, you will get more than enough xp to stay on pace with the story progression. If you do side quests too, you will be very overleveled well before you finish the main story. And thats not even considering leves, fates, or grand company quests.

I recommend skipping all the side quests. You just don't need the XP. And its nice to save something to do for leveling a 2nd class. Once all the side quests are done, all there is to do is grind leves, fates, and roulettes. That can get boring, so its nice if you left some side quests to break things up.

Oh, also do the daily dungeon roulette as often as you can. Huge XP gain.

Thanks Bot, I already read a little bit into saving sidequests for the alt class(es). I def appreciate how in depth you've gone into helping me, it's just such a huge game and it is def overwhelming for someone new to the genre. Final Fantasy brought me to this game, not the MMO style. I'll let you know if I have any other questions.

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I must suck at tanking. Tried the Brayflox thing again. Last boss I do what I'm supposed to do I think by turning the dragon and avoiding the AOEs. He starts spitting the acid that heals him and I end up dieing. And they blame me. I don’t get it. It's my job to keep his attention and move him when need be right.

What level are you Monk? Just curious as to when I'll have people bitching at me about the same thing. I had some asshole quit on me in the first room of the first dungeon because I failed to pull enemies right away, pretty ridiculous.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
What level are you Monk? Just curious as to when I'll have people bitching at me about the same thing. I had some asshole quit on me in the first room of the first dungeon because I failed to pull enemies right away, pretty ridiculous.

31. I don’t understand why people pull the enemies and run around. Then blame me cause they are stupid.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, the tank has to hold the attention of all the enemies. However, other players need to watch their aggro meters and help by easing off a little if they are pulling too much aggro.

Usually, if the tank dies, its the healers fault. If the healer dies, its the tanks fault. But that is assuming neither is really fucking up.

That final dragon doesn't have a ton of mechanics tho. Just have to keep it out of the green shit so it doesn't heal.

You should check this out:

[video=youtube;1n8mJ7GeXQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8mJ7GeXQ0[/video]

Also, remember that people can be impatient dicks in the game. Just remember, that as a tank, you are the most important and they have to follow your pace unless they all want to die. Also, you can get a dungeon almost instantly in duty finder while dps usually have to wait like 30-40 min or more. So if people are shitty you can just leave.

Last edited: