Phil Emery's 1st round board?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
HHCD was totally physical this year... he actually is a very solid tackler, he just isn't as big a hitter like some of the other players... he still lays a solid blow to ball carriers... Don't know where the "nothing about him screams physical or explosive" comes from, he got the respect he deserves from being a complete safety not just a cover guy...

I think either HCD or Pryor make us a lot better.

I think that Pryor has more upside, call me crazy, but I think that is why Mayock had him ranked so high initially. Pryor just seems to have a knack for the big plays.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think Tuitt and Bucannon could be guys with the top level athleticism, size and production.

Jernigan does not strike me as anywhere near big enough or athletic enough for Emery, where is the upside?

Not advocating any of those guys. Just trying to make the point that we (the board in broad general terms) seems to have focused on maybe 6-8 guys and it's usually the same names I hear floating around. I'm just trying to think of players that might be on Phil's radar that we're not talking about.

Roby is the one player no one mentions that I think Phil could pull as a draft day shocker.

Me personally I think Pryor is my guy. Then get some DT's.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
It was interesting to see everyone's 1st round boards, but what do you think the Phil Emery 1st round board looks like?

1. Jadaveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack

Now let's get realistic

3. Justin Gilbert

Premium size, premium speed, and he creates big plays.

4. Aaron Donald

Might not have the size, but he has the athletic index covered an the key word is disruptions.

5. Calvin Pryor

Many will have HCD higher because of better man coverage skills, but I think that Emery will prefer the big play ability and upside of Pryor. I do not know what it is, but when Pryor is on the field explosive plays happen.

6. Ra'shede Hageman

Huge physical potential, monster size and some serious question marks, he will be a true test of what Emery values. He could be much higher than this, he is my wildcard.

7. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

A smooth athlete and a nice agile cover man, but nothing about him screams physical or explosive a couple of things I think Emery wants.

8. Kyle Fuller

Very physical and can play multiple positions on the defense he fits the athletic model and the versatile model.
Though he would not be at the top of my list I think Hageman is at the top of Emery's.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Both look pretty good.

I could be totally wrong, but unless a Safety is the second coming of Polamalu, I suspect Emery is not hot on picking a Safety at 14, unless more valuable position players are gone. I also suspect he doesn't value this 2014 crop of DTs (besides Donald) for a 14th pick value. This would be my guess:

Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Kyle Fuller
C.J. Mosley
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Calvin Pryor

I agree he is probably focusing on safety.

2 players at the position ranked very close to the 14th pick.

The biggest weakness on the team.
Sorry about that... I meant I don't think Emery is hot on picking a Safety at 14, unless he's one of the best Safeties to ever come out of the draft, and I don't think Clinton-Dix or Pryor are at that level. That's why I put them at the bottom of my list.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry about that... I meant I don't think Emery is hot on picking a Safety at 14, unless he's one of the best Safeties to ever come out of the draft, and I don't think Clinton-Dix or Pryor are at that level. That's why I put them at the bottom of my list.

Yes, but if the elite DTs you like are gone, and you feel safety is a major position of need (it's also fairly thin at depth this year compared to DT) then why not take one of the two safeties who are considered to be above the rest? For the most part, all I hear is HHCD and Pryor. They may not be the best safeties to come out of the draft in years, but compared to two of the WORST safeties in the NFL (Conte and Wright, and yes, I know Wright is gone now) it would be a MAJOR UPGRADE.

As long we focus on DT/S/CB in the first 3-4 rounds, I think we'll be okay. LOTS of players I like at those positions this year.

DT rated 1-4th round: 14
CB rated 1-4th round: 20
FS rated 1-4th round: 5
SS rated 1-4th round: 3

Look at the safeties. ONLY EIGHT TOTAL projected to go in the first four rounds.

Donald 1st, Ward/Buccannon 2nd, McGill 3rd is what I'd like. But I could also see
HHCD/Pryor 1st, Hageman/Tuitt 2nd, McGill 3rd.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really think Deone Bucannon is going higher than we all think,

Biggest Safety in the class (6'1" 217lbs)

Best combine
-4.49 40
-19 reps
-36.5" vertical
-10'5" broad

Forces Turnovers
-6 Ints
-3 FF

Intimidating Hitter

Yes he has weaknesses in man coverage, but that is something that can be coached up or dealt with in scheme.

Bucannon is big, fast, and he creatures big plays and those are all things that NFL teams value greatly.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah, i worry bucannon will not be there at #51

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:

Best combine
-4.49 40
-19 reps
-36.5" vertical
-10'5" broad

Forces Turnovers
-6 Ints
-3 FF

Intimidating Hitter

Yes he has weaknesses in man coverage, but that is something that can be coached up or dealt with in scheme.

Bucannon is big, fast, and he creatures big plays and those are all things that NFL teams value greatly.
guy seems legit I don't think he gets out of the first rnd to be honest but would be a serious reach at 14 if emery is targeting him id like to see him work a trade back in the first (somewhere areound 25 or so would be ok imo)

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
yeah, i worry bucannon will not be there at #51

Good thing we're taking him at 14.

Phil%20Emery.jpg

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol...it's the emery stare down that makes that post. well played.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Yes, but if the elite DTs you like are gone, and you feel safety is a major position of need (it's also fairly thin at depth this year compared to DT) then why not take one of the two safeties who are considered to be above the rest? For the most part, all I hear is HHCD and Pryor. They may not be the best safeties to come out of the draft in years, but compared to two of the WORST safeties in the NFL (Conte and Wright, and yes, I know Wright is gone now) it would be a MAJOR UPGRADE.

As long we focus on DT/S/CB in the first 3-4 rounds, I think we'll be okay. LOTS of players I like at those positions this year.

DT rated 1-4th round: 14
CB rated 1-4th round: 20
FS rated 1-4th round: 5
SS rated 1-4th round: 3

Look at the safeties. ONLY EIGHT TOTAL projected to go in the first four rounds.

Donald 1st, Ward/Buccannon 2nd, McGill 3rd is what I'd like. But I could also see
HHCD/Pryor 1st, Hageman/Tuitt 2nd, McGill 3rd.
You make a good point... if Safety doesn't have much depth... if there are no starter caliber Safeties after the 1st, then it makes sense to get him in the 1st. But then again, Emery may think he can solidify DT and CB this year, grab an intriguing Safety, and ride with Mundy, Steltz and Conte this year. Look at a top Safety next year.

Also, I'm not crazy about this years' DTs beside Donald. Even if Safety draft quality drops very quickly, I don't see Emery passing up Donald or a top CB at 14.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Best combine
-4.49 40
-19 reps
-36.5" vertical
-10'5" broad

Forces Turnovers
-6 Ints
-3 FF

Intimidating Hitter

Imo, Bucannon won't make it past the Pats at #29. The Pats added Browner and Revis at CB, and have McCourty at FS already. They are a Bucannon pick away from having the best DB in the NFL.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You make a good point... if Safety doesn't have much depth... if there are no starter caliber Safeties after the 1st, then it makes sense to get him in the 1st. But then again, Emery may think he can solidify DT and CB this year, grab an intriguing Safety, and ride with Mundy, Steltz and Conte this year. Look at a top Safety next year.

Also, I'm not crazy about this years' DTs beside Donald. Even if Safety draft quality drops very quickly, I don't see Emery passing up Donald or a top CB at 14.

AND i think that by improving our DE/DT already, with some of our FA moves, as well as healthy players coming back, i expect that ALONE will make the safety play better, BUT, imagine if we didn't have scrubs back there, and instead STUDS. it doesn't HAVE to be HHCD/Pryor, but I think we have to upgrade in the first three rounds at safety. i still take Donald, but like Hageman a lot, too. i think you HAVE to take one of Donald, HHCD, Gilbert or Pryor at #14 if they are there. those are players that i think are special. if they are all gone, then it gets tricky. then you could trade back and get Hageman to go with Ward, Bucannon or Brooks, although not sure if any of them will be there at #51. Brooks probably. the first three rounds should be pretty exciting. and i plan on watching ALL of this draft. i've got my eye on guys in the SIXTH, too.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
I don't think any of the S rate @ #14 and would be addresses in later rounds, probably by a CB with S experience. I think it will be DL or OL with a few exceptions. WR should be in there based on talent, but not a need.

Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn
Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota
Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina