Phil Emery's 1st round board?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was interesting to see everyone's 1st round boards, but what do you think the Phil Emery 1st round board looks like?

1. Jadaveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack

Now let's get realistic

3. Justin Gilbert

Premium size, premium speed, and he creates big plays.

4. Aaron Donald

Might not have the size, but he has the athletic index covered an the key word is disruptions.

5. Calvin Pryor

Many will have HCD higher because of better man coverage skills, but I think that Emery will prefer the big play ability and upside of Pryor. I do not know what it is, but when Pryor is on the field explosive plays happen.

6. Ra'shede Hageman

Huge physical potential, monster size and some serious question marks, he will be a true test of what Emery values. He could be much higher than this, he is my wildcard.

7. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

A smooth athlete and a nice agile cover man, but nothing about him screams physical or explosive a couple of things I think Emery wants.

8. Kyle Fuller

Very physical and can play multiple positions on the defense he fits the athletic model and the versatile model.

Liked Posts:
It was interesting to see everyone's 1st round boards, but what do you think the Phil Emery 1st round board looks like?

1. Jadaveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack

Now let's get realistic

3. Justin Gilbert

4. Aaron Donald

Might not have the size, but he has the athletic index covered an the key word is disruptions.

5. Calvin Pryor

Many will have HCD higher because of better man coverage skills, but I think that Emery will prefer the big play ability and upside of Pryor. I do not know what it is, but when Pryor is on the field explosive plays happen.

6. Ra'shede Hageman

Huge physical potential, monster size and some serious question marks, he will be a true test of what Emery values. He could be much higher than this, he is my wildcard.

7. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

A smooth athlete and a nice agile cover man, but nothing about him screams physical or explosive a couple of things I think Emery wants.

8. Kyle Fuller

Very physical and can play multiple positions on the defense he fits the athletic model and the versatile model.

Pretty accurate, I'd say, though I'd switch some of the order around a bit.

My PE board (realistic selections only):

Aaron Donald
Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix
Calvin Pryor
Justin Gilbert
Ra'Shede Hageman
Louis Nix

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Both look pretty good.

I could be totally wrong, but unless a Safety is the second coming of Polamalu, I suspect Emery is not hot on picking a Safety at 14, unless more valuable position players are gone. I also suspect he doesn't value this 2014 crop of DTs (besides Donald) for a 14th pick value. This would be my guess:

Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Kyle Fuller
C.J. Mosley
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Calvin Pryor

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Both look pretty good.

I could be totally wrong, but I suspect Emery is hot on picking a S at 14, unless more valuable position players are gone. I also suspect he doesn't value this 2014 crop of DTs (besides Donald) for a 14th pick value. This would be my guess:

Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Kyle Fuller
C.J. Mosley
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Calvin Pryor

I agree he is probably focusing on safety.

2 players at the position ranked very close to the 14th pick.

The biggest weakness on the team.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Both look pretty good.

I could be totally wrong, but I suspect Emery is hot on picking a S at 14, unless more valuable position players are gone. I also suspect he doesn't value this 2014 crop of DTs (besides Donald) for a 14th pick value. This would be my guess:

Aaron Donald
Justin Gilbert
Darqueze Dennard
Kyle Fuller
C.J. Mosley
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Calvin Pryor

Personally, I think CB is a higher priority, but no doubt a secondary player should be the pick if Donald is off the board.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's a lot better than mockapalooza used to be. Remember that shit? Almost every single poster would put together their mock and feel the need to create a brand new thread about it. I'd say 90% of page 1 was mock drafts in the old days...and that shit would start immediately after the season ended.

Anyways, I agree Windy - that looks like a pretty good list.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

1. Jadaveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack

Now let's get realistic

3. Justin Gilbert

4. Aaron Donald

5. Calvin Pryor

6. Ra'shede Hageman

7. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

8. Kyle Fuller

I would expect Phil might have some names in there that aren't even on our radar. What about CJ Mosley, Bradley Roby, Timmy Jernigan or Ryan Shazier? Maybe Tuitt or Deone Bucannon? Not advocating any of these picks. Just pointing out that Phil likely has two or three guys high on his list that we don't talk about much as Bears fans. We all seem to get stuck on these "consensus" players just because all the media mocks have them.

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
I have a feeling that Kyle Fuller is going to be Emery's. Highest rated corner. Just by the style he plays and versatility. Imo I think he will be the best corner in the draft out of him, Gilbert and Dennard.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I for one hope he doesn't pull another "Shea swerve" with out first round pick.

Windy's list looks great. Would take Pryor, Donald, Ha Ha or Gilbert in heartbeat. That being said I'm expecting a trade down. Possibly all the way to the bottom of the first and then some pick we haven't talked about much. Just my gut feeling. :shrug:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think you can add wr and te to that list as well you never know

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Might have the most unpredictable GM in the League, but with added scouts and more time -hope Emery knows this draft class very very well.

don't like players like Jernigan that might be a one year wonder picked high
could be a draft you can get some UFA steals.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a lot better than mockapalooza used to be. Remember that shit? Almost every single poster would put together their mock and feel the need to create a brand new thread about it. I'd say 90% of page 1 was mock drafts in the old days...and that shit would start immediately after the season ended.

Anyways, I agree Windy - that looks like a pretty good list.

Thats a good point.

But overall, I prefer Windy's personal opinion mocks much more than the phil emery mind reading mocks.

Oh, and I don't like Pryor over Dix at all. Not one bit!

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Emery's realistic targets at 14:

1. Justin Gilbert CB
2. Ra'Shede Hageman DT
3. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix S
4. Aaron Donald DT
5. Kyle Fuller CB
6. Calvin Pryor S

Ranking criteria was a mix of athleticism, size, potential, scheme fit/need, and production. Didn't bother putting Clowney and Mack on there, and although Barr would intrigue Emery he's a really poor fit as anything but a 3-4 OLB. CJ Mosley is a wild card due to injury history. If he checks out medically I think Emery would be looking at him as well.

CuttyDoesIt6

Liked Posts:
1. Gilbert- too good to pass up and a solid chance he could be there
2. Donald- starting to think he wont be there, but would be an easy pick if he is
3. Clinton-Dix- another guy who has a solid chance of not being there at 14
4. Hageman- has emery all over him, but would probably be a huge reach
5. Pryor- another guy who would probably be a reach at 14
6. Lewan- could be the pick that no one is predicting
7. Fuller- could be a solid pick at 14
8. Nix- big run stuffer the Bears could use

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

1. Jadaveon Clowney
2. Khalil Mack

Now let's get realistic

3. Justin Gilbert

4. Aaron Donald

5. Calvin Pryor

6. Ra'shede Hageman

7. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix

8. Kyle Fuller

HHCD was totally physical this year... he actually is a very solid tackler, he just isn't as big a hitter like some of the other players... he still lays a solid blow to ball carriers... Don't know where the "nothing about him screams physical or explosive" comes from, he got the respect he deserves from being a complete safety not just a cover guy...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would expect Phil might have some names in there that aren't even on our radar. What about CJ Mosley, Bradley Roby, Timmy Jernigan or Ryan Shazier? Maybe Tuitt or Deone Bucannon? Not advocating any of these picks. Just pointing out that Phil likely has two or three guys high on his list that we don't talk about much as Bears fans. We all seem to get stuck on these "consensus" players just because all the media mocks have them.

I think Tuitt and Bucannon could be guys with the top level athleticism, size and production.

Jernigan does not strike me as anywhere near big enough or athletic enough for Emery, where is the upside?