CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He won as an assistant coach in Colorado in 96-97. He never won as a HC before the Hawks.

As exemplified by Sunbiz, people associate defensive orientated on a top caliber scoring team to conservative to bad coaching decisions.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2
Well that's a much better explanation than what Sunbiz gave.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The number I look at is games won and there's only two guys in the history of the NHL that have won more games than Q. That being said....do I agree with everything he does? Nope, but the way I look at is that he's won over 700 games....he damn sure knows more about winning than I do.

Coaching Wins Q 700+ Diehardfan 0

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Yes, because my username and favorite teams on a message board mean anything.

What does him being too conservative mean. The guy has won 2 cups with your favorite team. So again, I ask - why all the hate?

You are posting as would typical media.

There is no hate, only a loss that leads to the normal questioning from non-NHL coaches such as myself.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

There is no hate, only a loss that leads to the normal questioning from non-NHL coaches such as myself.
So what does him being too conservative mean?

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I did. Now I'm a believer. Win two championships and its not a fluke.

You learn a lot on the job,

IE: Bulls finish below the Knicks back in October BEFORE Rose went down.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

Are you active at any larger hockey boards or know lots of hockey fans? There's been a decent sized community of Blackhawks fans reiterating those points I've,mentioned above frequently, here too if you count things some people say as intelligible opinions.

Even with last years cup I've known multiple people to consider it victories in despite of Q. And a lot of it stems from not liking defensive stick checking style approaches. That's not just immediate loss reactionary thoughts.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Shrug-a-lug.

I look forward to DMelts response and appreciate fisch, diehard, and Clyde responding. Again, I have no problem with the idea that I'm hockey ignorant. Certainly don't mean to make it an argument of people who already know more than I. Hope this doesn't dive into that.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Those guys covered a lot of what I was going to say, honestly.

I think the biggest knock is player management in general, especially forwards.

For example, Brandon Bollig played 82 games this year despite not being all that great at hockey. Yet he seemed to get a real long leash, too. Whenever he made mistakes they appeared to be glossed over.

On the other hand, guys like Jeremy Morin and Brandon Pirri were players with skills that far exceed Bollig's, but any mistake by them and they were glued to the bench or sent back down to the minors. It just didn't seem fair.

And the nights he'd punish Bollig by playing him just 2 or 3 minutes while running players like Kane and Toews into the ground.

Q also seems to have a fascination with Michal Handzus. Seems like a weird fit on the team as an old, slow center on a younger, faster team.

But I'm not Anti-Q. How can I be when he's already got two Cups? He does make some head-scratching moves at times and I think some people worry he's going to ruin what could be a potential dynasty. This team could easily win 3-4 more Cups in the next decade.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Shrug-a-lug.

I look forward to DMelts response and appreciate fisch, diehard, and Clyde responding. Again, I have no problem with the idea that I'm hockey ignorant. Certainly don't mean to make it an argument of people who already know more than I. Hope this doesn't dive into that.
I can assure you my inner meatball comes out as a Blackhawk fan. :)

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
How's his relationship with the front office?

Note: not trying to draw a Thibs comparison, though it sounds like similarities except for the dynasty part.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Are you active at any larger hockey boards or know lots of hockey fans? There's been a decent sized community of Blackhawks fans reiterating those points I've,mentioned above frequently, here too if you count things some people say as intelligible opinions.

Even with last years cup I've known multiple people to consider it victories in despite of Q. And a lot of it stems from not liking defensive stick checking style approaches. That's not just immediate loss reactionary thoughts.

Not a member of any larger hockey forums, but discussions here several years ago reflect the same thoughts.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How's his relationship with the front office?

Note: not trying to draw a Thibs comparison, though it sounds like similarities except for the dynasty part.

I know there was tension about 2 years ago.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...er/02/10/joel.quenneville.hotseat.blackhawks/

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...enneville-uses-leverage-plus-30-thoughts.html

General manager Stan Bowman agreed to address it two months ago and disagreed with the idea of a rift, pointing out that Smith - the team's director of player development - worked with guys all the time. He added it didn't hurt to "have an extra set of eyes" with a power play that went 0-for-40 in one stretch.
The rumours never went away. Not being there makes it very difficult to recognize what really is going on. Tuesday night, we finally received a window into the situation.

FWIW.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
He won as an assistant coach in Colorado in 96-97. He never won as a HC before the Hawks.

As exemplified by Sunbiz, people associate defensive orientated on a top caliber scoring team to conservative to bad coaching decisions.

It was 95-96, their first year out of Quebec.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I did. Now I'm a believer. Win two championships and its not a fluke.

You know, while I still think it would have been completely moronic to fire him even if we did lose that series... I'm here thinking about how different history would be right now...

Boston looking to go back to back? 17 Seconds means nothing to their ears
Or Los Angeles looking to three-peat? Double OT doesn't happen
Or Detroit becoming the 2013's version of the 2012 Kings, a low seed that just limped in?
Crawford getting all the blame and then idiots calling for a Kane for Miller trade again?

Either way, one of the last 5 champs (at the time, last 6 now, or the last 5 unique/different franchise champs) was going to become the first team to win 2 post-lockout Cups.