RB is a major need who are good prospects?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Matt Forte is heading into the final two years of his contract, he'll be 29 by season' s end he's getting old by RB standards plus no position can experience an extreme unexpected drop off in production quite like a RB. Granted Forte is coming off of a career year and shows no signs of slowing down but if Forte gets hurt (another strong possibility given the position) suddenly there's no on behind him worth a shit.

For me personally there are two running backs I like in this draft both of whom I've seen a lot of in their careers since I'm primarily a Pac-12 watcher. First would be Kadeem Carey from the UofA who I think plays much faster than his 40-yard dash/combine time would indicate. Carey has great anticipation, vision and explosion when he sees a crease. He's also very elusive and gets tough quality yards between the tackles.

Then there Marion Grice who is tough elusive rock solid between the tackles who,pushes the pile and probably has the best hands of any RB in the draft. In short Grice is a poor man's Matt Forte just not as explosive or fast. Grice is tricky for me to scout because he does so many things so well but his lack of that one extra dynamic gear makes me think he could totally flop in the NFL.

Both Grice and Carey were highly and consistently productive and could be mid round targets that turn into solid NFL running backs because they have a feel for the position. They're both natural, instinctive runners who get yards when you wouldn't expect there to be yards to get because of the chaos around them.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
somebody in the 4th-6th. either a beast for short yardage or a speedy guy for KR/PR, etc. Storm, Dri, McKinnon, Crowell, De'Anthony, etc.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I forgot all about Isiah Crowell. Kid was a beast his freshman year at UGA but then got into some trouble and was kicked out. He's still somewhat of a raw talent but he is talented. As long as his head is on straight, he can be a good find in the 5th or 6th round.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Charles Sims wvu would be a good one

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;n_ZLITZeRZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ZLITZeRZ4[/video]

also his nicknames the weapon that's pretty dam cool

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
RB is not a need. End of thread.

Actually, it is. We only have 2 RBs on the current roster. Forte is approaching that magic runningback age where they fall off a cliff. I might argue that TE is the greater need though.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dri Archer, De'Anthony Thomas #DoIt

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
except that they just signed two vet TEs recently

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
and scouts call him somewhat of a forte clone and having watched him a lot he does kind of remind me of forte except he manages to get short yardage easier

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Actually, it is. We only have 2 RBs on the current roster. Forte is approaching that magic runningback age where they fall off a cliff. I might argue that TE is the greater need though.

Forte still has 2 years left on his contract. Forte has been very healthy and a work horse in the offense. The year that we need to have a new RB is the year we should draft one imo. I really don't see how putting Forte on the bench would help us much. Drafting Toby Gerhardt didn't make Adrian Peterson better.

It's not like you need to spend a couple of seasons to groom a RB.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Forte still has 2 years left on his contract. Forte has been very healthy and a work horse in the offense. The year that we need to have a new RB is the year we should draft one imo. I really don't see how putting Forte on the bench would help us much. Drafting Toby Gerhardt didn't make Adrian Peterson better.

agreed but to have quality depth and a guy who can share the load= a healthier faster forte late in the year

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sims looks pretty good.
I dont know much about whos out there.
I just know they had Thomas in for a workout or went to his proday.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
agreed but to have quality depth and a guy who can share the load= a healthier faster forte late in the year

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Forte seemed just fine late last season.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sims looks pretty good.
I dont know much about whos out there.
I just know they had Thomas in for a workout or went to his proday.
sims is the real deal imho any team that takes hims getting a homerun hitter who also has great hands out of the back field

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Agree with the OP regarding both Carey and Grice.

However, anyone that thinks DAT is ever going to be more than - at best - a pure returner has not seen him play. He is a novelty/system guy, which is why he will end up in Philadelphia.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
RB is not a need. End of thread.

We need depth at the position and Forte becomes a little girl when it comes to contract negations by continuously whining to the media. RB just like back up QB is a need.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

I agree you don't have to groom a RB but you do need to have some depth at the position. And last year was the first in many that Forte lasted the entire season. We do need to , and will, address RB in this years draft.