3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
[video=youtube;clop0uMX1uI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clop0uMX1uI[/video]

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Fisch made a good point on the Twitterz relating to what's been mockingly dubbed the NHL "Wheel of Justice."

Raffi Torres once did this and wasn't even suspended for it:

[video=youtube;JeZDE9H3_vUz]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZDE9H3_vUz[/video]

I remember being furious about that lack of suspension.

That was a few years ago, though, and the NHL appears to be doing a much better job of coming down hard on headshots. I think Seabrook will get a game or two at the most. He doesn't have a reputation of being a dirty player. In all honesty, I think his hit was made a lot worse by Backes slipping a bit which put his head right into the line of fire. That still doesn't excuse what Seabrook did, however.

Losing Seabrook will hurt. But the Blues losing Backes is going to hurt way, way more.

patg006

Liked Posts:
In all honesty, I think his hit was made a lot worse by Backes slipping a bit which put his head right into the line of fire. That still doesn't excuse what Seabrook did, however.

Losing Seabrook will hurt. But the Blues losing Backes is going to hurt way, way more.

Seabrook left his feet, led with the elbow and hit a defenseless player without the puck. It was a textbook definition of the kind of hit the NHL is saying they want to eliminate from the game regardless of whether Backes slipped or not. I do not think it was a deliberate attempt to injure Backes, but it was not a good play at all and is clearly deserving of a suspension.

Losing Backes will hurt. I have heard that fortunately he has passed the concussion tests, but if Berglund comes back, the Blues have much, much more depth at forward than the Hawks have at D. More ice time for Oduya or Rosizval is not a good thing.

And sadly that wasn't even the cheapest or dirtiest play in the game. Bickell should get his ass kicked for that knee on knee hit.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Seabrook left his feet, led with the elbow and hit a defenseless player without the puck. It was a textbook definition of the kind of hit the NHL is saying they want to eliminate from the game regardless of whether Backes slipped or not. I do not think it was a deliberate attempt to injure Backes, but it was not a good play at all and is clearly deserving of a suspension.

Losing Backes will hurt. I have heard that fortunately he has passed the concussion tests, but if Berglund comes back, the Blues have much, much more depth at forward than the Hawks have at D. More ice time for Oduya or Rosizval is not a good thing.

And sadly that wasn't even the cheapest or dirtiest play in the game. Bickell should get his ass kicked for that knee on knee hit.

Let's not forget, it was St. Louis who set the tone for this series...and the officials allowed it. That's why things got out of hand, so the blame must be shared by the league.

And the Blues have perfected the art of tripping from behind, disguising it as a play for the puck.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

While I don't disagree with that point, the Hawks will get the next two games at home and with Q having the last change he can use that to give Brookbank the easiest matchups possible (assuming it's Brookbank that gets the nod).

But losing Backes means the Blues lose one of their best defensive centers, and as a team that prides themselves on defense, I think that's going to hurt St. Louis a lot more. I've said it a few other times this year but Seabrook has not played great hockey this season.

Let's not forget, it was St. Louis who set the tone for this series...and the officials allowed it. That's why things got out of hand, so the blame must be shared by the league.

And the Blues have perfected the art of tripping from behind, disguising it as a play for the puck.

The most aggravating part of this whole thing is the Hawks stooped to the Blues' level. For years it's been St. Louis players who were running around and taking cheap shots at Hawks players, while the Hawks would just take the ensuing power plays and light them up on the scoreboard. The opposite happened yesterday.

Didn't the Hawks learn from the Vancouver series? The best revenge is winning. Period.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Alright, let's get this stupidity out of the way before it leaks here from Twitter.

[video=youtube;vFCiYri04Oo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFCiYri04Oo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Around the 0:40 mark of the clip, you can hear someone say "Wakey, wakey Backes!"

Now, of course, everyone on the Internet is trying to pin this on a Blackhawk player. Seabrook, Toews, Hossa, and Crawford are all visibly not talking when you hear that phrase. A lot of people are pointing the finger at Keith, but I have a hard time believing that. He's standing right next to Pietrangelo, yet there's no reaction from Pietrangelo when that got said. I have a hard time believing that Pietrangelo wouldn't have taken exception to that. And right before the camera cuts away from the scrum, Keith's mouth isn't moving as you hear that taunt at Backes repeated.

No other Hawks are near the melee. Maybe it came from the crowd? The bench? Who knows. Can you tell me where the TV network's on-ice microphone is located?

This is all some speculative bullshit, IMO.

Last edited:

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
While I don't disagree with that point, the Hawks will get the next two games at home and with Q having the last change he can use that to give Brookbank the easiest matchups possible (assuming it's Brookbank that gets the nod).

But losing Backes means the Blues lose one of their best defensive centers, and as a team that prides themselves on defense, I think that's going to hurt St. Louis a lot more. I've said it a few other times this year but Seabrook has not played great hockey this season.

The most aggravating part of this whole thing is the Hawks stooped to the Blues' level. For years it's been St. Louis players who were running around and taking cheap shots at Hawks players, while the Hawks would just take the ensuing power plays and light them up on the scoreboard. The opposite happened yesterday.

Didn't the Hawks learn from the Vancouver series? The best revenge is winning. Period.

Very frustrating, game was won before the incident as Hawks(unlike game 1)were skating forward to close it out.

One bad decision cost the entire team a W, and perhaps the series.

Also, why was the Blues player who took his gloves off and began swinging at Seab not penalized as well?.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Alright, let's get this stupidity out of the way before it leaks here from Twitter.

[video=youtube;vFCiYri04Oo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFCiYri04Oo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Around the 0:40 mark of the clip, you can hear someone say "Wakey, wakey Backes!"

Now, of course, everyone on the Internet is trying to pin this on a Blackhawk player. Seabrook, Toews, Hossa, and Crawford are all visibly not talking when you hear that phrase. A lot of people are pointing the finger at Keith, but I have a hard time believing that. He's standing right next to Pietrangelo, yet there's no reaction from Pietrangelo when that got said. I have a hard time believing that Pietrangelo wouldn't have taken exception to that. And right before the camera cuts away from the scrum, Keith's mouth isn't moving as you hear that taunt at Backes repeated.

No other Hawks are near the melee. Maybe it came from the crowd? The bench? Who knows. Can you tell me where the TV network's on-ice microphone is located?

This is all some speculative bullshit, IMO.

It was the blonde in the green Hawks jersey.:lol:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Also, why was the Blues player who took his gloves off and began swinging at Seab not penalized as well?.

Man I've been yelling this for almost 24 hours now. That's a goddam textbook example of the NHL's instigator rule.

I say again: if the Blackhawks can be put shorthanded after Raffi Torres attempted to decapitate Marian Hossa, then surely Steen could've sat for two minutes right there.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
All that proves to me is that the Canadian broadcasts are much better.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Man I've been yelling this for almost 24 hours now. That's a goddam textbook example of the NHL's instigator rule.

I say again: if the Blackhawks can be put shorthanded after Raffi Torres attempted to decapitate Marian Hossa, then surely Steen could've sat for two minutes right there.

That Youtube link of yours proves what I have been suspecting, BAD officiating on both sides of the puck(Keith, lol).

Had they called tighter games from the onset, yesterday would not have occurred.

Leave Seabs in, suspend the officials.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
All that proves to me is that the Canadian broadcasts are much better.

Oh definitely. Canadian hockey coverage is the gold standard. But at least American hockey coverage doesn't have Don Cherry. Point, USA!

patg006

Liked Posts:

There is no excuse for what Seabrook did. The is a textbook case of the type of hit the league says they are trying to get rid of

He and only he is responsible for his own actions.

Keith got away with a lot of slashing and cross checking yesterday.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Now, of course, everyone on the Internet is trying to pin this on a Blackhawk player. Seabrook, Toews, Hossa, and Crawford are all visibly not talking when you hear that phrase.

Maybe the sound and picture aren't synched up on the link, but when you hear the wakey wakey comment the shot was of the Blues bench.

I also doubt that they would have mics placed anywhere where someone in the crowd could be heard that clearly. Too much risk of bad language getting aired. That was clearly someone on the ice or bench.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
There is no excuse for what Seabrook did. The is a textbook case of the type of hit the league says they are trying to get rid of

He and only he is responsible for his own actions.

Keith got away with a lot of slashing and cross checking yesterday.

Keith was slashing everything in sight yesterday. Don't know what got into him.