A Thin Draft For Safeties?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
doesn't a normal draft have like 3 safeties that can actually play?

This one looks to have 5-10.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Five that i'd say are day one starters for the Bears: HHCD, Pryor, Bucannon, Ward and Brooks. Not sure on Bailey and Loston, but maybe.

HHCD
Pryor

Bucannon
Ward
Brooks

Bailey
Loston

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 211.
40 Time: 4.49.
Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

my money is on this guy being the safety emery covets
Well Emery has met with him more then once so your money should be good on him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If the Lions move up to grab Watkins, HHCD will be there at 14, he should be the pick, even if Donald is available. IMHO
St Louis is said to be big on HaHa as well and they pick at 2 and 13.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
Can the draft just get here already? I feel like the draft was coming "soon" for the past 2 months. We still have three freaking weeks to wait... Ugh.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
HCD will be an impact player immediately. Good speed and can come up in the box. He flies around the field.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
probably have a three four year widow to fix the secondary while the offense is still good.

with the money spent on the DL in FA I think it time to Draft A Safety or corner high.

if the bears go DT or DE with pick 14 then pick 51 is a safety/corner that bust it could really hurt the future of the team IMO

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I would be happy with Aaron Donald in the first round and either Jimmie Ward or Dion Bailey in the second round.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
Exum was a FS before they moved him to CB in 2012. I think he projects more as a Safety in the NFL based on his size and speed. Would love to have him, think he would be a good SS for us. Not too crazy about the Safety class in general, I think we'll end up with a couple of CB/S tweeners going DT early.

Exum is a CB.

It IS a thin draft for safeties. Maybe 15 draftable players at FS/SS total.

HHCD/Pryor are the top FS, and while they are really good, nobody is saying they're HOFers. They'll go in the 1st. I like Brooks, he's 2-3rd. I hear Bailey's name, too. Maybe a third rounder.

I like Ward/Bucannon, for sure, they are 1-2nd round SS. Hear Loston's name a lot, as well.

Those are the main guys. Drop off after HHCD/Pryor and then after the other guys I mentioned here. Maybe a few more.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Futures: Louisville S Calvin Pryor
by Matt Waldman

One of my favorite football players of the past 15 years began his college career as a corner, but finished it playing both safety positions and earned a first-team All-America selection. The 39th overall pick in the 2000 NFL Draft, he started all 16 games a rookie. Although he lost the Defensive Rookie of the Year Award to teammate Brian Urlacher, the linebacker often said that it was Mike Brown who was the true leader of the Bears’ vaunted defense.
Brown will turn 36 tomorrow. Due to a series of leg injuries, the two-time All-Pro didn’t have the career longevity that will earn his former teammate Urlacher a good shot at the Hall of Fame. However, Brown had all the tools of a fine NFL pro: intensity, intelligence, and the versatility to play in the box or patrol the deepest outposts of the passing game.
So when a player earns a comparison to Brown, it gets my attention. Current Texas defensive coordinator Vance Bedford was Brown’s position coach from 2000-2004. Before Bedford moved with Charlie Strong to Austin, he was the defensive coordinator at Louisville working with junior safety Calvin Pryor, a player Bedford compares favorably to the former Bear.

"He had three games in a row where he hit somebody and they did not finish the game," Bedford told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He doesn’t want to injure anybody, but he brings a certain physicality that if you’re going to throw the ball down the middle of the field, you’re going to pay a price ... Calvin Pryor reminds me of a bigger Mike Brown ... [Brown] was a coach on the field ... That’s what makes great players. Understanding the entire defense. Calvin Pryor is a lot like that."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2014/futures-louisville-s-calvin-pryor

[video=youtube;0oC5QVHAhhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oC5QVHAhhM#t=14[/video]

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This is. Great post. Looking at the average safety class it's almost a lock that the Bears will go with Haha or Pryor.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I don't see how you could call it thin. Most drafts there isn't one 1st rd safety prospect let alone two. Ward, Buccannon and Brooks are all high upside, immediate starters that can likely be had in the second. Some deeper options exist as well like Bailey and Loston who could turn out to be quality starters.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Yes absolutely it's a thin draft at safety. There's a line of players that are being far overrated because of the sudden new found value of the position. Any time a position comes in vogue and popular it tends to be overrated. Teams are on the look out for that position so they're going to over value the players at that position. Pryor, and Bucannon, both overrated. Dix probably over valued as well in comparison to other safeties but at least he's managed to maintain his position from brief inning to end as the top safety in the draft.

Pryor emerged from his Bowl game, Bucannon from the Senior Bowl suddenly they were the in vogue players that shot up,draft boards without playing a game. You see it every year with disastrous results. This may wind up being the weakest draft in years given the number of players who have come from nowhere to become high level prospects based on the needs to NFL teams.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by scatterthegold View Post
As much as I'd love a top safety, I'm starting to really like Dennard as a Tillman replacement.
Why don't we replace Conte or Mundy before we replace Tillman?
You make a good point. Have to try to win every year, and not look too far into the future.

Why draft a 1st rounder CB to sit on the bench? or have him play NB and sit Frey? Frey is really improving, and may develop into a starting caliber CB, but you draft a 1st rd CB and Frey sits on the bench and decays. Plus we still have Hayden, McManis, CJ Wilson and Hurst.

Still, having an effective pass rushing DT (which we don't have with Collins) is more important than a good Safety. You still take Donald if he's there at 14, but if not, then take Clinton-Nix or Pryor.

DT: Ratliff, Paea, Collins, Izzy

S: Mundy, Steltz, Conte, Jennings, McCray

CB/NB: Tillman, Jennings, Frey, Hayden, McManis, CJ Wilson, Hurst

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Yes absolutely it's a thin draft at safety. There's a line of players that are being far overrated because of the sudden new found value of the position. Any time a position comes in vogue and popular it tends to be overrated. Teams are on the look out for that position so they're going to over value the players at that position. Pryor, and Bucannon, both overrated. Dix probably over valued as well in comparison to other safeties but at least he's managed to maintain his position from brief inning to end as the top safety in the draft.

Pryor emerged from his Bowl game, Bucannon from the Senior Bowl suddenly they were the in vogue players that shot up,draft boards without playing a game. You see it every year with disastrous results. This may wind up being the weakest draft in years given the number of players who have come from nowhere to become high level prospects based on the needs to NFL teams.

Both players were highly productive for more then one year. Bucannon led (your fav) PAC 12 in tackles and turnovers. Do you really believe Scouts and GMs dont put any stock into these things? Who's draft boards did they shoot up exactly? I'll bet ya my last dime NFL personnel have had both of these cats rated relatively high for some time now.
The whole "stock rising" is media driven nonsense in my eyes. That's not to say there aren't exceptions but for the most part teams are pretty aware of where a player is projected long before they make their respective Big Boards. Saying Bucannon emerged from the Senior bowl is asinine, I'm personally not as high on him as some however, his season spoke for itself.

Guys Like Mayock start pounding names at the senior bowl and fans eat that shit up with a spoon, That's where you see guys "rise" on draft nik websites.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

pryor was mentioned throughout the season as an emerging talent at safety. i saw his name as early as october being mentioned as the 2nd best draft eligible safety in college football behind clinton-dix. your ignorance of a prospect does not mean they "came from nowhere."

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
well, i think we mean THIN compared to other positions, of need, and otherwise.

"Exum was a FS before they moved him to CB in 2012. I think he projects more as a Safety in the NFL based on his size and speed. Would love to have him, think he would be a good SS for us."

did not know that. i like him ever more, now.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exum if he were to move to safety played the FS position in college and I think would be more suited to FS over SS as he has good cover skills and I don't think played SS at all in college.