Should Emery get Aggressive

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears have 2 glaring needs on defence that will impact the 2014 season before he ball is snapped week 1, and that is S and DT.

These positions are still serious weaknesses after free agency. So I ask the question would you be upset if Emery moved aggressively to fill those 2 needs to with top talent?

An example

1[14] S Calvin Pryor [Louisville]

The Bears get a versatile safety with a ton if upside who starts week 1 of the season.

The Bears could trade 2[51], 4[117] and 2[2015] to move up as high as 29 if one of the top 4 DTs falls.

1[29] DT Louis Nix [[Notre Dame]

The Bears 2 biggest needs are filled by top talents that should start and provide immediate upgrades week 1 at their biggest positions of need.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears have 2 glaring needs on defence that will impact the 2014 season before he ball is snapped week 1, and that is S and DT.

These positions are still serious weaknesses after free agency. So I ask the question would you be upset if Emery moved aggressively to fill those 2 needs to with top talent?

An example

1[14] S Calvin Pryor [Louisville]

The Bears get a versatile safety with a ton if upside who starts week 1 of the season.

The Bears could trade 2[51], 4[117] and 2[2015] to move up as high as 29 if one of the top 4 DTs falls.

1[29] DT Louis Nix [[Notre Dame]

The Bears 2 biggest needs are filled by top talents that should start and provide immediate upgrades week 1 at their biggest positions of need.

LOVE the idea, hate Nix

dayn44

Liked Posts:
I love the idea. We would fill two positions of need. I dont think you could flip it and pick a DT first and get a great S with the second pick.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Emery get aggressive for sure.

I'd rather see....

1[14] Donald >>> /Hagerman
Maybe even Ealy which
would push Houston inside

****TRADE****
2[51] & 4[117] for 2[37]

2[37] Buchanan (sp?)

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, don't mind the idea if there is a guy that Emery is in love with. But not Nix. I would think there might be a better chance of Pryor falling than a top DT.

MidwestMonster2

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would hate it if Emery traded up for Nix. Nix has a known torn meniscus. Not the worst knee injury there is, but when you are talking about a "fat boy" in the middle of the line, grinding and wear and tear will be an issue for the kid. Don't want to go down that road again of drafting a player with knee issues.
Hell, I'd rather have Hageman, and I hate Hageman.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Change the player to Hageman, Tuitt or Jernigan.

The idea of moving up is not a bad one if we get 2 day 1 building blocks.

I also do not think Pryor or HCD get past 20.

Lions
Rams
Bears
cowboys
Ravens
Cardinals

All need safety.

Last edited:

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
If we took a safety at 14 and Donald is still on the board and he slides past the cowboys also then I could see him trying to trade back into the first. Donald and Haha would be a great way to start the draft, 2 day 1 starters who have pro bowl potential.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I like the idea but we also need depth on defense which we currently do not have. If someone starts to fall, which history shows will happen, if would be hard to jump back into the the bottom of the first.

The vikings did it last year and they still suck and i remember the Browns doing it for Brady Quinn and Brandon Weedon and that didn't work for them.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Emery needs two starters out of this draft....a DT and a FS. I think that he can tease out some combination of these two with our first two picks. If he has to move down in the second....so be it....but i would hope that he would trade this years picks rather than mortgaging future draft picks.....you really don't want to go there.....

I'd go DT with the #14...especially if Donald is there....if Donald is gone.....pivot to the best safety on the board and trade down for Hageman at our 2nd pick...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do we have the cap for two first rounders

If you're eliminating having to pay the rest of those draft picks and still have the 8Milish for the draft class and emergency dough then I don't see why not.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Slightly different than what I was saying prior to signing Allen but it's a similar concept. I thought trading up for someone like Clowney made sense because your offense is going to start to decline in the next several years so you need to get as much out of this run as you can. If they can get 2 impactful players then I'm fine with giving up future picks.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Slightly different than what I was saying prior to signing Allen but it's a similar concept. I thought trading up for someone like Clowney made sense because your offense is going to start to decline in the next several years so you need to get as much out of this run as you can. If they can get 2 impactful players then I'm fine with giving up future picks.

I would never advocate with trading up to get Clowney. Its not because of the player so much as the cost to trading up to the first/second overall pick. The cost would be too high and on top of that you would have to be giving up future picks which are worth less now than a current draft pick.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think he stays at 14 because he can't find a trading partner to give us enough value for the 14th pick.

However, I can definitely see him move up to the early 2nd late first to get another Day 1 starter.

He did it before with Alshon and the probabilities of a blue chip player higher up in the draft are in his favor.

He loves to play the percentages.

However, I think he goes DT with his first pick and safety with his second.

.....Before the Conte surgery there were a couple of higher quality safeties in FA that Emery was never linked to. I think that means the safety position is lower down on his totem pole as far as needs.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think either HCD or Donald is still there at 14, most likely Haha as I increasingly think the Giants take Donald at 12 despite also needing OL help. Either way you fill a need. If Emery wants to trade up in the second for a particular guy that's ok by me.