Should Emery get Aggressive

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As far as trading the 2015 first, I think it really depends on what players are left and what the bears would have to give up in addition to the 1st. If you are willing to bet that the Bears make the playoffs next year, than that 1st will be no earlier than 28th. There could be some value in the idea, depending how the draft falls.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
As far as trading the 2015 first, I think it really depends on what players are left and what the bears would have to give up in addition to the 1st. If you are willing to bet that the Bears make the playoffs next year, than that 1st will be no earlier than 28th. There could be some value in the idea, depending how the draft falls.

That is a good point. I think that the Bears have a 2-3 year window right now because of the offense. Going with the idea that it usually takes players 2 to 3 years to fully develop, it makes sense to add as much high end talent in this draft as possible. It also helps that this is a very deep draft.

I've referenced before how going into 2009 the Packers needed play makers on their defense to make it just solid enough so they could make a run with their offense. They drafted Raji in the first and then trading back into the late 1st for Matthews and hit on both. They were huge on their defense the year they won it in 2011. They didn't have to trade away future picks, but they did sacrifice depth at multiple positions to add an additional play maker.

We will see if that is enough to make Phil consider trading away future picks. Obviously the deal and the player would both have to be right.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In that scenario you are putting a shit ton of faith and pressure on your scouting.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
14 S Calvin Pryor
29 DT Timmy Jernigan

That would make me pretty happy and fix our lack of talent at safety and give us a NT that can fix the run defense.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Give me this...

14. Aaron Donald
Late 1st. CJ Mosley

and then Buccannon/Ward in the 2nd

Also I am almost positive that Michael C. Wright responded to somebody on twitter a long time ago that asked if the Bears could look to use a future draft pick to trade up in this draft and he said he wouldn't be surprised.

Liked Posts:
Windy has a man crush on Nix but Nix won't even be on the Bears draft board.

I hope to God you're right. Emery worries me with defensive picks, so far at least. Emery + Tucker & his input, building the framework for the next generation of defenders freaks me the fuck out.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
14 S Calvin Pryor
29 DT Timmy Jernigan

That would make me pretty happy and fix our lack of talent at safety and give us a NT that can fix the run defense.

1. Pryor
2. DaQuan Jones
3. Caraun Reid

Or

1. Pryor
2. Sutton
3. Justin Ellis

Or

1. Donald
2. Trade 2nd and 3rd to go to the top of 2nd round and get Deone Bucannon.

We have lots of options. The one thing I would NOT do is trade next years picks though.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
weird. a couple of weeks ago i thought for sure Bucannon would be there at #51. now, not very confident he'll be there.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
The Bears have 2 glaring needs on defence that will impact the 2014 season before he ball is snapped week 1, and that is S and DT.

These positions are still serious weaknesses after free agency. So I ask the question would you be upset if Emery moved aggressively to fill those 2 needs to with top talent?

An example

1[14] S Calvin Pryor [Louisville]

The Bears get a versatile safety with a ton if upside who starts week 1 of the season.

The Bears could trade 2[51], 4[117] and 2[2015] to move up as high as 29 if one of the top 4 DTs falls.

1[29] DT Louis Nix [[Notre Dame]

The Bears 2 biggest needs are filled by top talents that should start and provide immediate upgrades week 1 at their biggest positions of need.

like this, Bears need to fix the secondary for the future Pryor or Gilbert would A good choice,
could use a NT like Nix in the second, with Donald probably gone this would be an easy choice to help fix the run Defense, Nix also has the talent to get penetration.

when was the last time your heard Stephen Paea name called?

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
like this, Bears need to fix the secondary for the future Pryor or Gilbert would A good choice,
could use a NT like Nix in the second, with Donald probably gone this would be an easy choice to help fix the run Defense, Nix also has the talent to get penetration.

when was the last time your heard STEPHEN PAEA name called?

Great question. Paea is young still and decently effective, yet it's like he is isn't on the team.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Pryor is probably the sixth best safety in this draft. His stock is based completely on his highlight reel hits and not his on the field play or production. Ward had more pass breakups and INTs in one season than Pryor had the last two combined.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

when was the last time your heard Stephen Paea name called?

When was the last time Paea was called upon to be anything other than a nose tackle? You realize its a nose tackle's job to basically not have his name called or being singled out. More often than not it means he is doing his job.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't believe so many people like Pryor over Dix. I just don't see it.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think a lot of it has to do with how Alabama players flop at the NFL level. I know I am weary about drafting any Alabama players.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I would go with DT. It always starts at the line. Always.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Snorch

Liked Posts:
If we took safety in round one, no way am I giving up next years #2 plus anything else to trade up. Take the safety in one, Borland in 2 and Quarles in 3 and see what happens

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I can't believe so many people like Pryor over Dix. I just don't see it.

You're blind.

j/k

But seriously, look closer. He's simply the bigger play maker; he's more physical , has better instincts and has a nose for the ball.

And as for giving up next years first, hell no.