Where did Kevin Butler's Leg from Georgia go?

Jeff George

Liked Posts:
71 yards for the game. Holy crap this is some kick.

His longest in Chicago was like 56?

He was in shape in college too. Once he got to Chicago he became a fat little pidgeon filling up on deep dish and italian beef. His legs turned into gams.

Hopefully his kid Drew stays in shape for us.

[video=youtube;rJuZbP3faD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJuZbP3faD0[/video]

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
Kicking from a tee makes a pretty big difference, but I'm not sure how much.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This. Butler was one of the greatest kickers in college football history. Aside from his rookie year, he was pretty terrible for the Bears. Always seemed to beat GB, though.

I loved Butt-head. Any kicker that can do well in Soldier's Field and Green Bay in the winter is good in my book:)

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This. Butler was one of the greatest kickers in college football history. Aside from his rookie year, he was pretty terrible for the Bears. Always seemed to beat GB, though.

I don't know how he could keep the job for so long and be terrible. Kickers just keep getting better and better. If you look at Butler on the all time FG% list there are some pretty recognizable names below him and some pretty average players above him (Mason Crosby as an example).

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats because after 1986, the Bears figured out that Butler was terrible on anything over 40 yards. That was the biggest mystery about him, and lends credence to the kicking tee hypothesis...Butler was great from long-range in college, and bad from long range in the NFL. I know Soldier Field is tough for kickers, but he also missed quite a few XPs in the NFL.

In his NFL career, Butler made 43 FGs from 40+ and 16 FGs from 50+. His weak-legged contemporary, Eddie Murray, made 93 FGs from 40+ and 21 FGs from 50+.

I think Murray is a poor comparison. Murray played 7 more seasons, most of which were for a dome team both of those have to be taken into consideration if you are using 50+ career totals as a measuring tool. Plus you said Butler was pretty much terrible and you are comparing him to a two-time pro bowler? Makes no sense.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Murray wasn't known for having a strong leg, yet he destroys Butler in long-distance kicking. That was my point. I don't need to compare Butler to Murray to say Butler is pretty much terrible...Butler's stats speak for themselves.

At age 37, Murray spent a partial season with Dallas. In that season, Murray was 8/8 from 40+. Butler's highest 40+ total was going 8/13 in 1990.

I still don't get why you are comparing to Murray. You said Butler was terrible and you compare him to an NFL kicker that lasted 20 years, made two pro bowls, and was perfect from 40+ at age 37? Yeah, that sure drives home how terrible Butler was.

Since you started with career 50+ yarders.
Butler 16 in 13 years. 1.2 per year
Murray 21 in 20 years. 1.1 per year

Again, Murray lasted 20 years, made two pro bowls and you are comparing him to a kicker that you consider terrible?
What sense does this make? Unless you are trying to say that Murray being perfect from 40+ at age 37 was terrible.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You don't last 16 years in the NFL and be a bad kicker. Ever look at the surface of Soldier's field and feel the wind cutting across the field? I still do not understand how anyone can kick a football through the goal-posts from 50 yards out between narrow posts with a 20-30 MPH crosswind.That, to me is something very special.

While the subject of kickers is at hand. I go way back to the Brickhouse/Kupcinet days. The Bears were playing Green Bay and had to punt. THis was Halas versus Lombardi!!!!! The Green Bay guy fair caught the ball with like 5 seconds to go in the half. Lombardi called time out and went to the ref, Next thing you know, they place the ball on a tee and Horning FREE KICKS a fifty yard field goal. I wish they still had film of Papa Bear grabbing the down marker and trying to break it over his knee. Man was he PISSED! Camera then showed Lombardi with a huge shit eating grin on his face:)

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm starting to think you have a comprehension issue. I already compared their career 50+ stats.

Murray wasn't known for having a strong leg, yet he destroys Butler in long-distance kicking. That was my point. I don't need to compare Butler to Murray to say Butler is pretty much terrible...Butler's stats speak for themselves.

At age 37, Murray spent a partial season with Dallas. In that season, Murray was 8/8 from 40+. Butler's highest 40+ total was going 8/13 in 1990.

He doesn't destroy Butler in career 50+ yard FG's. I'm starting to think you don't understand numbers and are a master of exaggeration.

Butler averaged more 50+ FG's per year than Murray did. But Murray "destroys Butler" because he played 20 seasons? Really? Destroys, while kicking in a dome for most of his career and averaging less 50 yarders a season? Yes, that's totally destroying Butler.

And Butler was clearly "terrible" because Eddie Murray was excellent at kicking 40+ yard FG's at age 37.

I opened up the discussion by questioning whether terrible was accurate. But good job bringing up a pretty solid kicker to prove that Butler was terrible. You've certainly convinced me.

Destroys, terrible, exaggerate much?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You don't last 16 years in the NFL and be a bad kicker. Ever look at the surface of Soldier's field and feel the wind cutting across the field? I still do not understand how anyone can kick a football through the goal-posts from 50 yards out between narrow posts with a 20-30 MPH crosswind.That, to me is something very special.

While the subject of kickers is at hand. I go way back to the Brickhouse/Kupcinet days. The Bears were playing Green Bay and had to punt. THis was Halas versus Lombardi!!!!! The Green Bay guy fair caught the ball with like 5 seconds to go in the half. Lombardi called time out and went to the ref, Next thing you know, they place the ball on a tee and Horning FREE KICKS a fifty yard field goal. I wish they still had film of Papa Bear grabbing the down marker and trying to break it over his knee. Man was he PISSED! Camera then showed Lombardi with a huge shit eating grin on his face:)

Papa Bear got even two years later(1966) when Mac Percival free-kicked a 42 yarder to win the game for the Bears.