10% of the way into the season......

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Or it could cause new management to replace old management, and the new management might be better at spending money and/or producing a winning team.

His comment was about spending more money. That's an ownership level issue not a front office level one. Theo and the rest of the front office are going to do what they will with the money they have. Perhaps there is a better front office at that. But, bringing in a new front office isn't going to change the amount of money the owners give the front office to spend.

Simply put, I've not seen any community who boycotted a major sports franchise effectively changing the way that franchise operated other than causing them to move cities as you mentioned. So, I'm unconvinced doing so would have any positive impact on the cubs. If people want to because they can't watch a shitty team that's again fine. But I don't see it doing anything to change the way the cubs operate.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
Simply put, I've not seen any community who boycotted a major sports franchise effectively changing the way that franchise operated other than causing them to move cities as you mentioned.

not quite right i don't think.

the chicago blackhawks.

i'm a lifelong blackhawks fan. and this team was done for in chicago. now, you might argue that change happened because the old man died. but if would've been very easy to maintain the same policies for rocky. instead, he saw the empty seats and actually did change for the better.

i'll also grant you that if the team turned around, the fans would come back anyway, even with those bad policies. but the team wouldn't be loved in chicago as it is now. like i said, i'm a lifelong blackhawks fan and started attending games in the early 80's. sure, there's a hard-core group that will always go. but this city didn't give two shits about the hawks until very recently.

i get what you're saying, but i don't think it's really totally accurate.

and yes, i do think that fan pressure, specifically boycotting attending and (more importantly) boycotting the tv, is going to pressure the team into changing their ways.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
i'm personally boycotting merchandise, gametracker on mlb.com (mobile too), and the paper. i drive by wrigley three times a week with my kids and they've been begging to go to what they call "the baseball castle". no way.

and you should all too. the product stinks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
not quite right i don't think.

the chicago blackhawks.

i'm a lifelong blackhawks fan. and this team was done for in chicago. now, you might argue that change happened because the old man died. but if would've been very easy to maintain the same policies for rocky. instead, he saw the empty seats and actually did change for the better.

i'll also grant you that if the team turned around, the fans would come back anyway, even with those bad policies. but the team wouldn't be loved in chicago as it is now. like i said, i'm a lifelong blackhawks fan and started attending games in the early 80's. sure, there's a hard-core group that will always go. but this city didn't give two shits about the hawks until very recently.

i get what you're saying, but i don't think it's really totally accurate.

and yes, i do think that fan pressure, specifically boycotting attending and (more importantly) boycotting the tv, is going to pressure the team into changing their ways.

All I'm saying is the reason teams turn around isn't fans boycotting. The reason the blackhawks are good now is because they drafted Kane and Toews who've turned out to be fantastic players. They could have spent all the money in the world but without those two I doubt they are winning anywhere near what they have.

Don't get me wrong, the performance of the cubs of late hasn't been worth people spending money to see them. So, I'm not saying you should go out and buy tickets and merchandise. I'm just saying I don't think a boycott will change the way the cubs run business for the positive. The cubs will get better if and when they A) draft better than the 2000's B) make quality trades and C) sign quality players. Again, I'll use the Miami example. They've had poor attendance for ages. Tampa is similar. The difference between the two isn't the money spent. It's quality drafting for the most part as well as timely FA signings.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
well your answer depresses me even more. bye cubs, hello cardinals?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
well your answer depresses me even more. bye cubs, hello cardinals?

I feel the cubs have done 2 of the 3 things I outlined well. Bryant is crushing AA right now and they have numerous others this front office has drafted who are quite highly thought of. They've traded for a lot of prospects which I'll leave alone but they have managed to get guys like Strop, Grimm and Wood who've been quality players. They've obviously done very little in FA of note. If people don't want to believe in that, that's their right.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I feel the cubs have done 2 of the 3 things I outlined well. Bryant is crushing AA right now

Sammy Sosa full of steriods and hitting 60 HR's and driving in 150 a season only helped the Cubs to one winning season during his best years, but somehow Bryant is going to be a bigger help?

Yeah ok.

Yeah, that is definitely something I don't want to believe in.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
32,000 or some announced attendance?
Happy B-Day?
Fans are not quite as smitten with the way the re-build is going as some think they are

ThaGator

Liked Posts:
Pretty much.

Apparently the only true Cub fans are the ones who think it is reasonable to throw away multiple seasons at the major league level waiting for this magical crop of prospects to produce multiple All Star players

No, incessantly whining day in and day out about the front office does make one a crybaby, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's hard to believe the bullpen is as bad as it is. I didn't think it would be great but I thought they had a better back end this year. RP have let some games get away that should be in the W column.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Rizzo changed his entire approach. He will come down a little bit but there is a chance this is him taking the next step. Hammel and Bonifacio are candidates to re-enter the atmosphere but Shark and Castro could also be improved. Hammel and Bonifacio will probably be shipped out in 3 months time anyways

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Rizzo changed his entire approach. He will come down a little bit but there is a chance this is him taking the next step. Hammel and Bonifacio are candidates to re-enter the atmosphere but Shark and Castro could also be improved. Hammel and Bonifacio will probably be shipped out in 3 months time anyways

I hope you are wrong. I actually would prefer them to hang on to a cheap alternative in CF and/or 2B in Bonafacio, plus being the best lead-off man since Kenny Lofton and he is a switch hitter. He blocks no one and the same could be said for Hammel who should take Villanueva's place on the roster next year. If he doesn't work out the rest of this year, just don't bring him back. It is as simple as that.

I don't see the need to thrust them to a team that will give you pennies on the dollar as far as prospects. Bonafacio and Hammel are much more valuable to the Cubs than any prospect they would fetch in return.

Isn't the object suppose to be to build up the Cubs at the parent level and not tear it down every year? :thinking:

patg006

Liked Posts:
No, incessantly whining day in and day out about the front office does make one a crybaby, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Continuously defending and supporting a process that has led to the worst three year span in team history with no guarantees of the sustained long term success fairy tale does make one a complete moron though.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I don't see the need to thrust them to a team that will give you pennies on the dollar as far as prospects. Bonafacio and Hammel are much more valuable to the Cubs than any prospect they would fetch in return.

Isn't the object suppose to be to build up the Cubs at the parent level and not tear it down every year? :thinking:

I guess you haven't gotten the memo that prospects are better than major league players.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I guess you haven't gotten the memo that prospects are better than major league players.

Hey Pat, how about those Blues :p

diavolos

Liked Posts:
I feel the cubs have done 2 of the 3 things I outlined well. Bryant is crushing AA right now and they have numerous others this front office has drafted who are quite highly thought of. They've traded for a lot of prospects which I'll leave alone but they have managed to get guys like Strop, Grimm and Wood who've been quality players. They've obviously done very little in FA of note. If people don't want to believe in that, that's their right.

great. he's crushing aa baseball. here comes the world series!

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bryant is crushing the ball at AA. Who gives a shit?

Pretty sad when that's all you can hang your hat on.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lahair, Jake Fox etc. also crushed AA ball.

Lol if you dont care about how a guy does in the minors fine. But, do not compare the kind of prospect Bryant is to them. Bryant is comparable to Evan Longoria with his path not them.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bryant is crushing the ball at AA. Who gives a shit?

Pretty sad when that's all you can hang your hat on.

What do the White Sox hang there hat on? It sure isnt the major league team and your prospects are shit.