Anthony Barr OLB updated proday numbers

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
Insane athlete. Perfect fit as a 3-4 OLB. No real place for him in the Bears D.

I'm sorry but there's no place for a freakish pass rusher in the bears D? There's a place for this kid in every defense in the national football league. Most, if not all, NFL defenses utilize their nickel package more so than their base D. With Stafford throwing for 4500+ yards every year and Rodgers being possibly the best passer in the NFL I think you're mistaken if you think Barr has no place on this team.

Let's not even mention that 100% of the info given to us this offeseason has either left the possibility open or pointed directly to the bears moving to a hybrid front. If that happens, he'd be basically the ideal for two different positions in the base defense. Those being, SAM linebacker (90%+ of this players responsibilities will mirror a 3-4 OLB) and the LEO defensive end.

He's not the perfect prospect but if a 6'6" 265lb pass rushing LB with good coverage skills running a 4.4 shows up at 14 you don't pass on him. Especially if that player has been projected top 5 by nearly every draftnik for the last 12 months. Especially especially if you're enamored with potential/athleticism in the top of the draft like Emery is. Especially especially especially if you 'reached' for the same type of player 2 years prior in the first, then followed it up with by drafting a inexperienced and raw prospect (Barr wasn't even a defender until 2 years ago) the year after with Long.

If Barr is there at 14, PE runs to the podium with his name on a card in one hand and the boner he's trying to hide/stifle in the other. It seems way to obvious based on the past.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Didn't everyone say that about Jeffrey and Long.

Yeah... pretty much except me and a few others...

High on Burfict...
High on long...

And my signature has been there since the day Alshon was drafted...

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah... pretty much except me and a few others...

High on Burfict...
High on long...

And my signature has been there since the day Alshon was drafted...

Good calls good calls.

Are you claiming Trent Murphy? Because I haven't heard much from you in regards to him since the senior bowl.

We should draft Jimmy Garoppolo.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry but there's no place for a freakish pass rusher in the bears D? There's a place for this kid in every defense in the national football league. Most, if not all, NFL defenses utilize their nickel package more so than their base D. With Stafford throwing for 4500+ yards every year and Rodgers being possibly the best passer in the NFL I think you're mistaken if you think Barr has no place on this team.

Let's not even mention that 100% of the info given to us this offeseason has either left the possibility open or pointed directly to the bears moving to a hybrid front. If that happens, he'd be basically the ideal for two different positions in the base defense. Those being, SAM linebacker (90%+ of this players responsibilities will mirror a 3-4 OLB) and the LEO defensive end.

He's not the perfect prospect but if a 6'6" 265lb pass rushing LB with good coverage skills running a 4.4 shows up at 14 you don't pass on him. Especially if that player has been projected top 5 by nearly every draftnik for the last 12 months. Especially especially if you're enamored with potential/athleticism in the top of the draft like Emery is. Especially especially especially if you 'reached' for the same type of player 2 years prior in the first, then followed it up with by drafting a inexperienced and raw prospect (Barr wasn't even a defender until 2 years ago) the year after with Long.

If Barr is there at 14, PE runs to the podium with his name on a card in one hand and the boner he's trying to hide/stifle in the other. It seems way to obvious based on the past.
This may have been the most entertaining 10th post I've ever read. Can't wait for the 11th

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Anthony Barr is everything that Emery dreams of. I can imagine his post-draft description along the lines of "Anthony is a very good football player. He is the type of athlete and player that we have targeted; a fast, tough, dynamic athlete."

As a converted RB, Barr is undoubtedly raw but he is a physical freak that has produced at a high level despite his limited experience on the defensive side of the ball. While initially he does not appear to be a fit for the Bears, Barr could provide the Bears the ability to get creative with their fronts. The Bears could kick Houston inside on obvious passing downs putting Barr opposite Allen or line him up beside Allen to create even more mismatches.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I have little doubt Barr is high on Emerys big board. There's an argument for both sides but he is an incredibly talent athlete.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
I'm still trying to figure out why Barr is being bashed.

Put him on the outside and make it simple. Go after the ball. Isn't that what Aldon Smith does?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm still trying to figure out why Barr is being bashed.

Put him on the outside and make it simple. Go after the ball. Isn't that what Aldon Smith does?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

SF runs a 3-4, if I'm not mistaken. Just like the Bears did in 2003.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
SF runs a 3-4, if I'm not mistaken. Just like the Bears did in 2003.

SF does run a 3-4. An Aldon Smith role could be created how ever where Barr is used strictly to rush the passer initially. A better comparison in terms of a role/fit IMO would be more like Bruce Irvin in Seattle who runs a 4-3 base with Hybrid looks.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
SF does run a 3-4. An Aldon Smith role could be created how ever where Barr is used strictly to rush the passer initially. A better comparison in terms of a role/fit IMO would be more like Bruce Irvin in Seattle who runs a 4-3 base with Hybrid looks.

I don't have an opinion on Barr to be honest, but what you describe seems like a square peg, round hole kinda thing from the Bears perspective, imo.

He's projected as a 3-4 OLB, correct?

If he were drafted by us and the role you described didn't work, we're basically looking at another Shea on the roster. A situational pass rusher at 14 doesn't seem right to me.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I don't have an opinion on Barr to be honest, but what you describe seems like a square peg, round hole kinda thing from the Bears perspective, imo.

If he were drafted by us and the role you described didn't work, we're basically looking at another Shea on the roster. A situational pass rusher at 14 doesn't seem right to me.

He is projected as a 3-4 OLB but he has played both DE and OLB in college with production despite his limited experience. At 6'6 266 lbs, his frame is more suited to playing DE than Shea, not to mention his athletic ability is something Shea could only dream of. He could bust like any other prospect and would not be my first choice but if Donald is off the board and Barr is available he should, and likely will be, considered.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is projected as a 3-4 OLB but he has played both DE and OLB in college with production despite his limited experience. At 6'6 266 lbs, his frame is more suited to playing DE than Shea, not to mention his athletic ability is something Shea could only dream of. He could bust like any other prospect and would not be my first choice but if Donald is off the board and Barr is available he should, and likely will be, considered.

I hear ya, and appreciate your opinion. Basically, my original comment was in reference to why Barr ''is being bashed'' comment by, RisWell. I think Barr being projected as a 3-4 backer is why he gets ''bashed'' from our(Bears) perspective. The guy seems to be a tremendous athlete, if we ran a 3-4 I'm sure Barr would have his knob slobbered daily on here.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I hear ya, and appreciate your opinion. Basically, my original comment was in reference to why Barr ''is being bashed'' comment by, RisWell. I think Barr being projected as a 3-4 backer is why he gets ''bashed'' from our(Bears) perspective. The guy seems to be a tremendous athlete, if we ran a 3-4 I'm sure Barr would have his knob slobbered daily on here.

Fair enough. I agree that the hate likely stems from the 3-4 projections, the Shea experiment doesn't help either.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

I hear what you are saying man and trust me, if I knew Mel Tucker and Trestman were going to use him correctly I would want to draft him too but the last time we drafted a 3-4 OLB to play a DE role, the Bears couldn't figure out how to use him correctly. Barr is an incredible raw talent but he is much better suited to a 3-4 or hybrid system and I have seen no indication and there is no history of the Bears using those kind of looks. Stick to players who fit the scheme.

ping001

Liked Posts:

You cannot make comparisons like that, just because one player didn't work out at one position doesn't mean that will happen to another. Aaron Donald is considered too small and light weight to play DT, but he is strong for his size and good technique, drew brees and Russall Wilson defied the notions that QBs have to be at least 6"2.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
You cannot make comparisons like that, just because one player didn't work out at one position doesn't mean that will happen to another. Aaron Donald is considered too small and light weight to play DT, but he is strong for his size and good technique, drew brees and Russall Wilson defied the notions that QBs have to be at least 6"2.

The criticisms of Donald's size are baseless. He was 6'1" 285lbs (4.68 40, 32" vert) at the Combine. Warren Sapp entered the NFL at 6'1 3/4" 281lbs (4.69 40, 31" vert). Geno Atkins entered at 6'1" 293lbs (4.75 40, 33" vert). Both eventually got up to 300lbs. Donald is only "undersized" according to the traditional 4-3 DT profile, but he's actually the historically perfect size DT for an aggressive 4-3 Under scheme.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so who do you take, Barr or Donald?