Is corner enough of an immediate and future need to justify doubling up in the draft?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
With the Packers always seeming to have more weapons than we have capable defenders, and the Lions rumored to be targeting more WR help in the draft, it might be worth doubling up on CB in this draft. My reasoning being: (1) Conte looked like he was becoming a quality player when our pass rush could make a difference in the game, (2) We should be targeting either Donald or Hageman in the first round, who would on day one improve our pass rush in a position where we are weak, and (3) I doubt anyone will be available after the first round who will start out better than Conte is now.

At least one CB is a need now, and another CB will be needed next year. With taller receivers becoming vogue, we need to have more than one big CB on our roster, and drafting two guys now would mean we have two rookies learning Tillman's craft while he is still a Bear. The draft is pretty deep this year at CB, and a number of them taller than 6'. I think we would be well positioned to draft McGill in the second and Jean-Baptiste in the third, though I wouldnt be surprised if Pierre Desir or Walt Aikens were also considered as third-day prospects.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I think we better patch up the run D first

Have we not already? Young and Houston are both reported to be good against the run, Allen brings it every play, and Briggs and Williams are healthy. That sounds much better than what we had last year. Ideally, whoever we draft at DT will also be good against the run

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
DL, DL, and maybe more DL. Then DBs.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
DL, DL, and maybe more DL. Then DBs.

i wouldnt be opposed to drafting two DTs if the right guys fell to the right spot, but I think that a CB in the second round is a higher need than an additional DT

Snorch

Liked Posts:
Have we not already? Young and Houston are both reported to be good against the run, Allen brings it every play, and Briggs and Williams are healthy. That sounds much better than what we had last year. Ideally, whoever we draft at DT will also be good against the run

IMO we have on the outside, but the middle got gutted every game after the fourth game last year. Windycity has a thread that I posted a mock that would fix the D. (at least on paper).

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
With the Packers always seeming to have more weapons than we have capable defenders, and the Lions rumored to be targeting more WR help in the draft, it might be worth doubling up on CB in this draft. My reasoning being: (1) Conte looked like he was becoming a quality player when our pass rush could make a difference in the game, (2) We should be targeting either Donald or Hageman in the first round, who would on day one improve our pass rush in a position where we are weak, and (3) I doubt anyone will be available after the first round who will start out better than Conte is now.

At least one CB is a need now, and another CB will be needed next year. With taller receivers becoming vogue, we need to have more than one big CB on our roster, and drafting two guys now would mean we have two rookies learning Tillman's craft while he is still a Bear. The draft is pretty deep this year at CB, and a number of them taller than 6'. I think we would be well positioned to draft McGill in the second and Jean-Baptiste in the third, though I wouldnt be surprised if Pierre Desir or Walt Aikens were also considered as third-day prospects.

Conte may not even be able to play come week 1. And it's time to move on.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I don't think we will see 2 CB's get picked in this draft but I do expect to see one picked in the first 3 rounds.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I don't think we will see 2 CB's get picked in this draft but I do expect to see one picked in the first 3 rounds.
2 CBs will be needed in the next 2 drafts, and they may both need to be taller. I think we are in a good position to try our hand at getting two.

TRON

Liked Posts:
We need to draft quality in the middle of the D then build around that. It seems Emery has been doing the opposite the last 2 drafts. He better pick DL and safety with the first 2 picks.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I don't think CB is such a large need that we have to address it with two picks this draft. With that said, if a player who's rated highly slips in the draft and the value is right I wouldn't mind doubling up at CB this draft.

I just think we have too glaring needs, whether it be talent, depth or age, that getting two CBs this draft isn't a necessity.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Hell no. We already have 4 that are guaranteed to play.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
With Tillman and Jennings as unquestioned starters on the outside and capable NB's like Frey and Hayden I do not see corner as pressing of a need as some. I would like to see the Bears add a CB at some point to learn under Tillman and possibly take the reins next year but with more pressing needs at DT and S I would have a tough time taking two that early.

Nick80

Phil did say he felt it was a deep CB draft, who knows. Maybe he is smokescreening all the way to Kyle Fuller at pick 14.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I think they'll take someone in the first 3 rounds and maybe a flyer on a late rounder if the value's good. But I don't think they'll spend two high draft picks on CB UNLESS we trade down and get a couple more picks.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think ideally, the Bears come out of this draft with a DT and S that can start or at least get into heavy rotation right away. The other picks can go to a CB that competes at nickel. A RB that competes as the #2. And then 3 of a 2nd DT, a 2nd S, a TE, a backup QB, a LB. I'd probably stay away from a 2nd CB in this draft, partly because I like Demontre Hurst and CJ Wilson last year's UDFA pick ups, who are still on futures contracts.

Then in the 2015 draft, probably need to spend early picks on another DT (Paea, Collins are FAs), a LB (Williams and Briggs FAs, Bostic, McClellin and Greene are ?s), CB (Tillman and Hayden FAs), S (Conte and Jennings FAs). Then look for more OL, DL, and DB depth.

All the DEs are back in 2015. Tim Jennings will be around. The offense should still be all intact other than Garza. So, it's really important that the Bears hit on DT and S at the very least in this draft, because the Bears can't afford to start all over at those positions again.