If PaxGormana doesn't get Melo or Love this offseason...Fire them.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
H8YXUQs.png

Rose
Lance
Butler
Taj
Noah

the spacing would be beyond awful

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I think trading for Love would be the easier of the two to accomplish. With Phil running things in NY Melo should feel a little more confident that things can get turned around and they can be a contender sooner rather than later. So I think convincing Melo to stay in NY will be a little easier with Phil there.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think trading for Love would be the easier of the two to accomplish. With Phil running things in NY Melo should feel a little more confident that things can get turned around and they can be a contender sooner rather than later. So I think convincing Melo to stay in NY will be a little easier with Phil there.

Depends how you read the lines. Phil sounds like he wants Melo to take less money. Phil also sounds like he's okay with Melo leaving so he can build his own ship and then have plenty of cap space for the 2015 offseason. I wouldnt be surprised if the Knicks want to tank 2014-15 away since they do have a draft pick, while they don't in 2016. There is also a good amount of free agents in 2015.

Its also hard to say what Minnesota will want for Love. I don't see them going for cap room because who the hell wants to sign with the Timberwolves. The best way to build that organization is draft picks.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Depends how you read the lines. Phil sounds like he wants Melo to take less money. Phil also sounds like he's okay with Melo leaving so he can build his own ship and then have plenty of cap space for the 2015 offseason. I wouldnt be surprised if the Knicks want to tank 2014-15 away since they do have a draft pick, while they don't in 2016. There is also a good amount of free agents in 2015.

Its also hard to say what Minnesota will want for Love. I don't see them going for cap room because who the hell wants to sign with the Timberwolves. The best way to build that organization is draft picks.

Money is always a motivator and it wouldn't surprise me if they try and clean the slate in NY. But Melo is a player teams can build around and Phil could build around Melo. Of course it comes down to actually convincing him that the Knicks have a viable plan to accomplish that rebuild in the shortest amount of time. I think Chicago could lure Melo out of NY, just think it would be easier to pull off a trade for Love.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Money is always a motivator and it wouldn't surprise me if they try and clean the slate in NY. But Melo is a player teams can build around and Phil could build around Melo. Of course it comes down to actually convincing him that the Knicks have a viable plan to accomplish that rebuild in the shortest amount of time. I think Chicago could lure Melo out of NY, just think it would be easier to pull off a trade for Love.

Yeah its really hard to tell at this point. I lean towards the lines of the Knicks want to tank 2014-15 away to then become good in 2015-16. There's alot of risk there obviously and Melo has to be willing to tank with the team in 2014-15 (Think Pierce in 2006-07 and Wade 2007-08 as their teams tried for #1 picks and neither of those options worked out, but trades (Celtics) and free agency (Heat) brought those teams titles, but the difference there is neither player were up for contracts then though). Melo has spoken all year that he wants to try and win now, so that'll depend if he wants to go along with the tank ride or not, I lean towards he does not, but thats also probably my bias speaking since I want him badly on the Bulls.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah its really hard to tell at this point. I lean towards the lines of the Knicks want to tank 2014-15 away to then become good in 2015-16. There's alot of risk there obviously and Melo has to be willing to tank with the team in 2014-15 (Think Pierce in 2006-07 and Wade 2007-08 as their teams tried for #1 picks and neither of those options worked out, but trades (Celtics) and free agency (Heat) brought those teams titles, but the difference there is neither player were up for contracts then though). Melo has spoken all year that he wants to try and win now, so that'll depend if he wants to go along with the tank ride or not, I lean towards he does not, but thats also probably my bias speaking since I want him badly on the Bulls.

I have been trying to get back into following the NBA, used to follow it very closely but after 2002 when I graduated college it progressively got harder to follow because I was always busy with work and keeping up with so many games became a challenge. After I opened my business in 2006 my NBA viewing went to catching up during the playoffs. But the crop of players now is starting to draw me back, basketball has always been one of my favorite sports to watch. I will say I am a Knicks fan, but in reality I am a fan of certain players and watching a good game no matter the teams. So as a Knicks fan of course I want to see Melo stay, and I absolutely hate the idea of tanking seasons...but understand the thought behind it.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I have been trying to get back into following the NBA, used to follow it very closely but after 2002 when I graduated college it progressively got harder to follow because I was always busy with work and keeping up with so many games became a challenge. After I opened my business in 2006 my NBA viewing went to catching up during the playoffs. But the crop of players now is starting to draw me back, basketball has always been one of my favorite sports to watch. I will say I am a Knicks fan, but in reality I am a fan of certain players and watching a good game no matter the teams. So as a Knicks fan of course I want to see Melo stay, and I absolutely hate the idea of tanking seasons...but understand the thought behind it.

So you bowed out right at the right time as a Knicks fan. Its been tough for you guys. I'd want to keep a talent like Melo too.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
With the cap going up and if the Bulls can find a buyer for Dun's 3 mil next year (should be a very easy sell) the Bulls can offer Melo around 20mil/yr. Melo will probably age like Pierce and still be elite at 34.

I'd offer Melo the max the Bulls can offer. If the Bulls do that- I don't see how he doesn't come to Chicago.
That's about 45-55% of your cap invested in 2 players. Add in Noah's contract and the number is brought up to 65-70%. Eventually, you'll have to resign Butler, Taj's shiny 6th man trophy will command some more, and you have Mirotic.

Where is your flexibility in the cap coming from, and what kind of bench do you have with that little money to spend?

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So you bowed out right at the right time as a Knicks fan. Its been tough for you guys. I'd want to keep a talent like Melo too.

Yeah I did haha, I would try and stay up on the happenings with NY but like I said it got tough keeping up with the NBA for a good stretch. I did go see a game in Madison Square Garden during Linsanity...unfortunately it was when he was injured. Hated seeing him go, he was a fun player to watch and the story was great.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That's about 45-55% of your cap invested in 2 players. Add in Noah's contract and the number is brought up to 65-70%. Eventually, you'll have to resign Butler, Taj's shiny 6th man trophy will command some more, and you have Mirotic.

Where is your flexibility in the cap coming from, and what kind of bench do you have with that little money to spend?
Butler has another year then a qualifying offer. Butler is also replacement IMO.

Taj doesn't get a new contract until 2017-18. So that point is kind of moot. By then he's into his 30's and likely declining.

The Bulls would be using a lot of Veteran minimums. I'd also like to think some vets would sign here on the cheap for a shot at a ring if the Bulls had Melo and Rose.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Projected cap with luxury tax is $77 million. Rose + Noah + offering Carmelo max money leads to about 65% payroll

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Projected cap with luxury tax is $77 million. Rose + Noah + offering Carmelo max money leads to about 65% payroll
Reinsdorf has said he will pay the luxury tax if he has a contender. That team would be contending.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Butler has another year then a qualifying offer. Butler is also replacement IMO.

Taj doesn't get a new contract until 2017-18. So that point is kind of moot. By then he's into his 30's and likely declining.

The Bulls would be using a lot of Veteran minimums. I'd also like to think some vets would sign here on the cheap for a shot at a ring if the Bulls had Melo and Rose.

And what of Mirotic?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And what of Mirotic?
I dont know. They may have to wait another year. I dont know what the rules are as far as cap hit for him. I originally thought whenever he came over, he'd be on a rookie type deal, which means he'd get like 1 mill per year, but I've heard that wont happen. If the Bulls waited a year they could use the MLE on him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont know. They may have to wait another year. I dont know what the rules are as far as cap hit for him. I originally thought whenever he came over, he'd be on a rookie type deal, which means he'd get like 1 mill per year, but I've heard that wont happen. If the Bulls waited a year they could use the MLE on him.
From what I've been reading over the course of this whole Mirotic thing it seems like if he gets any less than the MLE he won't be very inclined to come over. We basically have to give him at least as much as he's making for Madrid plus enough to cover his buyout.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Phil once again is using the media to play mind games with Anthony. IF he can't see through them, then he is dumb. Melo will not win anything in NY and he has to know it. They are in cap hell with no draft picks in a loaded draft.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
From what I've been reading over the course of this whole Mirotic thing it seems like if he gets any less than the MLE he won't be very inclined to come over. We basically have to give him at least as much as he's making for Madrid plus enough to cover his buyout.
I just saw this...

http://www.blogabull.com/2014/4/1/5570884/nikola-mirotic-real-madrid-contract-future-bulls-nba

The Bulls won't have the full MLE unless they stand pat at what their roster is now. If they get under the cap by amnestying Boozer, they'll lose the full MLE.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just saw this...

http://www.blogabull.com/2014/4/1/5570884/nikola-mirotic-real-madrid-contract-future-bulls-nba

The Bulls won't have the full MLE unless they stand pat at what their roster is now. If they get under the cap by amnestying Boozer, they'll lose the full MLE.
Well yes, but if they amnesty Boozer then they'll technically have the ability to spend beyond the MLE level of pay. But then we're limited in our options of adding players outside of that. It's just a tricky situation if you really want to be in a position to land a star.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well yes, but if they amnesty Boozer then they'll technically have the ability to spend beyond the MLE level of pay. But then we're limited in our options of adding players outside of that. It's just a tricky situation if you really want to be in a position to land a star.

Thats why I wouldnt mind waiting a year to bring over Mirotic if it meant getting Melo. Bring him over in 2015-16 by signing him to the full MLE (which then covers the buyout of his Euro contract I believe). Of course if we could bring him over and get Melo that'd be pretty awesome, but less likely.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thats why I wouldnt mind waiting a year to bring over Mirotic if it meant getting Melo. Bring him over in 2015-16 by signing him to the full MLE (which then covers the buyout of his Euro contract I believe). Of course if we could bring him over and get Melo that'd be pretty awesome, but less likely.
Pretty much. In a perfect world, they both accept less money to come here and we're loaded for next year, but that'll never happen. Melo MIGHT accept a little bit less, but even that's dicey and it wouldn't be significant enough to make another impact move. That's just how it is, but if we can land Melo (or Love) at the expense of waiting for Mirotic for a year, we gotta do it.