Am I wrong for Wanting Donald gone by#14?

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
My logic is this, while I think Donald will be a very good player in the NFL I feel the Bears have other holes to fill such as safety and cornerback. The DT position is much deeper than those other two positions so I'd rather the Bears go Safety/Cornerback in rounds 1 and 2 then search for a DT in the third or even fourth round.

Seems to me we added enough to our D-line through free agency that we can put off DT in the draft for another year. So if Donald is gone by 14 I think it opens up a better draft scenario for us to fill those other gaps in the D.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
We added DE's through FA. We are still in bad need of DT's.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Really?

At CB the Bears have - Charles Tillman, Tim jennings, Isaiah Frey and Kelvin hayden

At Safety - Conte, Mundy, Stelz and M.D Jennings

At DT - Ratliff, Paea, Collins

CB seems just fine for now. They could use a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year and another high pick next year and the Bears would be set at that position.

Safety, you may have a point but I would much rather sure up the interior and have a stout defensive line to mask our deficiencies on the back end than put pressure on a rookie safety to fix our problems.

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
Frey wasn't exactly a game changer last year. Tillman is on his last run it would appear. Hayden is coming off a torn hamstring so he is a big unknown. There are some legit corner prospects that could be in our secondary for years to come.

Plus it's not like I'm saying ignore the DT position, I just think there are some game changers for our secondary that could be found in the first two rounds. I think once you get past the second round the talent drop off is much higher from the S/CB position in the later rounds then the DT position.

Liked Posts:
Run you fool!

I don't know why he should, there are plenty of posters on here that want a CB or Safety instead of a DT. I just don't know why anyone would want to do that if value is there at the DT position with the 14th pick. I just don't see how people easily forget how badly this team was at getting to the QB & stopping the run. It's vital to the scheme they are going to run. A third round run stopping DT isn't going to solve shit without a good pass rushing DT next to them.

It reminds me of past off seasons when fans would clamor all season to draft offensive linemen often, & early in the draft while they watched Cutler & co. get slaughtered all season. However every year within a couple of weeks minds would change & people would look for reasons to gravitate from wanting the team to do what it really needed to. Build up from the foundations on both sides of the ball on the LOS, especially if the value is there at those positions when the Bears pick. Emery finally fixed the offensive line & look at the difference it made. The same thing will happen on the defensive side of the ball if Emery gets two good/solid DT's in the draft, I'll bet anything on it.

The Bears have one less DT on the depth chart than what they started last season with, with even more question marks around the DT's they currently have, than what they had last season. IMO DT should still be the primary focus if the value is there at #14.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Run stopping DT's will be a priority. Does that mean Emery will shy away from Donald? I think that's the million dollar question.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
We should find some sort of starting quality player at #14....if Donald is off the board....we will still find some excellent options.....

I'd like Donald....but if he's gone at #14.....we still have all sorts of options......all good.

Nick80

Run you fool!

sarcasm-detector-o-s.gif

Nick80

I don't know why he should, there are plenty of posters on here that want a CB or Safety instead of a DT. I just don't know why anyone would want to do that if value is there at the DT position with the 14th pick. I just don't see how people easily forget how badly this team was at getting to the QB & stopping the run. It's vital to the scheme they are going to run. A third round run stopping DT isn't going to solve shit without a good pass rushing DT next to them.

It reminds me of past off seasons when fans would clamor all season to draft offensive linemen often, & early in the draft while they watched Cutler & co. get slaughtered all season. However every year within a couple of weeks minds would change & people would look for reasons to gravitate from wanting the team to do what it really needed to. Build up from the foundations on both sides of the ball on the LOS, especially if the value is there at those positions when the Bears pick. Emery finally fixed the offensive line & look at the difference it made. The same thing will happen on the defensive side of the ball if Emery gets two good/solid DT's in the draft, I'll bet anything on it.

The Bears have one less DT on the depth chart than what they started last season with, with even more question marks around the DT's they currently have, than what they had last season. IMO DT should still be the primary focus if the value is there at #14.

See above. You wasted that blog on a quip on my part.

I wish the fucking draft would hurry up, then I can do more Green writing and watch a few more gaskets blow.

*Follow me on twitter for more*

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I sort of hope he's gone because if he's there, I'm sure Emery will likely pass on him, and it'll just be chaos on this board. If Donald's gone, the next options tend to be a bit more varied on here, less bitching and flipping out.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Run you fool!

"They have taken the bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes, drums... drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow lurks in the dark. We can not get out... they are coming."

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
Am I wrong for wanting Mack, Clowney, Donald, Evans, Watkins, Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Dix, etc. to all be available at #14?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
BPA at DT, CB or S. we need help at all three for sure. for me, those elite guys are Donald, HHCD, Gilbert, and Pryor. All four of them would either start immediately, providing a nice upgrade, or rotate in and eventually start (Gilbert). first round, those are my guys. beyond those, i trade back and target Hageman, Bucannon, Ward, Dennard, or Fuller. there is enough depth in this draft that i think we can get some really great players in the first three rounds, and i like talent all through the draft.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We gotta fix that DT spot by doubling down on it. In this league there are so many injury concerns and bust potential that having two means one might prosper.

It all starts up front with that Dline and if we wish to stop SF, GB, Panthers, and New England before the bye, we need a great defensive front four.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don't like HHCD at 14. I'm obviously no scout but he hasn't been impressive in all the film I've watched on him. So much so, I'm not sure where the hype is coming from. I think he benefits a ton playing on a stacked defense.

ping001

Liked Posts:
I don't like HHCD at 14. I'm obviously no scout but he hasn't been impressive in all the film I've watched on him. So much so, I'm not sure where the hype is coming from. I think he benefits a ton playing on a stacked defense.

He's a fine player, but not at 14, compounding the fact that Mark barron, Dre Kilpatrick, Dee Miller and Reagan Upshaw all Bama Alums have not lived up to expectations with exception to Donte Hightower.

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
Anyone that says DT is a bigger priority than safety is fooling themselves. I get the whole, "a good pass rush will make your secondary better" argument but we need serious help at safety. The players we signed aren't exactly pro bowlers. they provide good depth but of everyone on the roster right now, I wouldn't call any of them an immediate starter. Maybe a scenario where we go DT then S in the second round. We can't afford to go into the season with the current safeties we have on this roster as our two starters.