Am I wrong for Wanting Donald gone by#14?

skybum

Liked Posts:
My logic is this, while I think Donald will be a very good player in the NFL I feel the Bears have other holes to fill such as safety and cornerback. The DT position is much deeper than those other two positions so I'd rather the Bears go Safety/Cornerback in rounds 1 and 2 then search for a DT in the third or even fourth round.

Seems to me we added enough to our D-line through free agency that we can put off DT in the draft for another year. So if Donald is gone by 14 I think it opens up a better draft scenario for us to fill those other gaps in the D.

YES YOU ARE WRONG!!!

There is no logic behind what you say! You dont want a best player available in the draft in a postion of need, but you want a lesser player in a different position of need.

Also, I dont think there is a fall off in talent in the safty position from the 1st round to the second round. In fact, alot people think Jimmy Ward has the best coverage skills of the safty class, and Dave Thomas is raveing that Deon Bucannon is the best overall safty in the draft. THere is not even a clear cut best safty in the draft. Donald is hands down the best DT.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anyone that says DT is a bigger priority than safety is fooling themselves. I get the whole, "a good pass rush will make your secondary better" argument but we need serious help at safety. The players we signed aren't exactly pro bowlers. they provide good depth but of everyone on the roster right now, I wouldn't call any of them an immediate starter. Maybe a scenario where we go DT then S in the second round. We can't afford to go into the season with the current safeties we have on this roster as our two starters.

I think we should and need to go DT with our first, then safety with the second pick.....moving up if necessary to get the Best Safety still available considering moving up trade-offs............then go defense primarily except for Sims if we can get him to backup Forte.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
I have been on the HAHA Clinton Dix bandwagon for a long time firstly because I know the kid and secondly because I hate watching Conte blowing coverage as well as getting his jock left on the field by running backs that break through the line. That being said I can't help but have hope the Bears draft the TE from UNC Ebron. If he turns out to be a Jimmy Graham type player in the passing game our offense would be an unbelievable matchup problem out of the two TE set.

QFFL

Liked Posts:
If I have to bet, I will say Bears will take a DT at 14 pick barring any trade.

What I am not sure is that if Donald will be available, Timmy Jernigan or Ra'shede Hageman might also be the pick.

Liked Posts:
See above. You wasted that blog on a quip on my part.

I wish the fucking draft would hurry up, then I can do more Green writing and watch a few more gaskets blow.

*Follow me on twitter for more*

But I'm not blowing a gasket about it. If I were there would be exclamation points, typing in caps & probably some name calling. I knew you were being sarcastic, I just took your post as a response to the OP to run take cover, when he shouldn't have to. Though I don't agree that the Bears should take a DB at 14 if value is there at DT, there are a couple of DB's like HCD or Gilbert(if he fell) that really wouldn't bother me personally at all. Just because someone responds in disagreement, it doesn't mean that they're always "flaming" you.

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
Agreed on the moving it to May!. What a crock of shit.

Another question, if Donald isn't there at DT are the other options worth picking that high? Ideally we would trade down but you have to have options.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are so short on DT's I can see us taking 2 in the draft. If it is in the Second and Fourth rounds, so be it. I have a funny feeling Donald won't be there so the point is moot. Thing is, I can also see us taking 2 defensive backs in the draft as well, maybe even 3.

Nick80

But I'm not blowing a gasket about it. If I were there would be exclamation points, typing in caps & probably some name calling. I knew you were being sarcastic, I just took your post as a response to the OP to run take cover, when he shouldn't have to. Though I don't agree that the Bears should take a DB at 14 if value is there at DT, there are a couple of DB's like HCD or Gilbert(if he fell) that really wouldn't bother me personally at all. Just because someone responds in disagreement, it doesn't mean that they're always "flaming" you.

Hmmm, yes.

No.

Deone Bucannon at pick 20 then?

*follow me on twitter, two predictions to go*

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
OP - Skybum: "Also, I dont think there is a fall off in talent in the safty position from the 1st round to the second round. In fact, alot people think Jimmy Ward has the best coverage skills of the safty class, and Dave Thomas is raveing that Deon Bucannon is the best overall safty in the draft. THere is not even a clear cut best safty in the draft. Donald is hands down the best DT."

Bingo. And do I dare add that I believe that people are overrating the safety position in general? I realize all positions on the field are important, but I cannot see using a first round pick on a safety. I wouldn't draft a guard, center, or kicker in the first round either. You can still get value for those positions in the 2nd and 3rd round.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I believe the official reason for the change was because of a scheduling conflict with the venue (Radio City Music Hall) but in reality it seems more about generating additional ad revenue in the two extra weeks. I don't agree with it but there isn't shit we can do about it so no point in letting it drive me crazy.

skybum

Liked Posts:
I believe the official reason for the change was because of a scheduling conflict with the venue (Radio City Music Hall) but in reality it seems more about generating additional ad revenue in the two extra weeks. I don't agree with it but there isn't shit we can do about it so no point in letting it drive me crazy.

We all have to remember the DL makes the safty look good, not the other way around.

See Conte

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I shouldn't have to say it again, but I will... a franchise CB or safety will never impact a game like a franchise 3-tech. Both would be nice, but if you only have a shot at one, then you go with the DT given the opportunity. That said, one way I will find solace if Donald is gone by 14, is at least Emery didn't have had chance to fuck it up. lol

If you simply do not feel Donald is that type of player, that is another story and, needless to say, I disagree.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We all have to remember the DL makes the safty look good, not the other way around.

See Conte

Hugh? And that has what to do with what I was talking about?

ping001

Liked Posts:
I shouldn't have to say it again, but I will... a franchise CB or safety will never impact a game like a franchise 3-tech. Both would be nice, but if you only have a shot at one, then you go with the DT given the opportunity. That said, one way I will find solace if Donald is gone by 14, is at least Emery didn't have had chance to fuck it up. lol

If you simply do not feel Donald is that type of player, that is another story and, needless to say, I disagree.

Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Champ bailey were impact players at CB position where you could leave them on a island one on one with a WR creating all types of blitz packages for the D, however the NFL has changed where the rules favor the offense so the value of CB has gone a bit down, but it is hard to find good cover guys, but am all for DT in the 1st or 2nd round.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson, Champ bailey were impact players at CB position where you could leave them on a island one on one with a WR creating all types of blitz packages for the D, however the NFL has changed where the rules favor the offense so the value of CB has gone a bit down, but it is hard to find good cover guys, but am all for DT in the 1st or 2nd round.

I never said a CB or DB cannot impact a game, just that a dominant 3-tech can have a bigger impact.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think where i land is where you rate the player.

if you have FOUR guys rated 9/10 or whatever your scale, take the guy that is there. if those four are at DT, CB and S, take one. i know we're focusing on need, and on defense, so i say stay within the positions that you think will benefit the most, and a player you think is worth the #14 pick. for the most part i think we ignore off players, unless it's something that will allow us to trade down. i don't see Emery taking Ebron, for example, if he's there. IMO, if you have 10 players in the draft you think are elite, in the 9/10 range, and all were there, you then start thinking about need, and immediate impact, and then depth of position in the draft. not sure what other elite 3-tech DTs would be there at #14 that we'd take. i see depth at DT, and CB, not so much at S. as long as we take one player at each position in the first round, i'll be happy. all kinds of combinations would work for me.

Bones40

Liked Posts:
I really don't get the love for HaHa, Pryor and Gilbert. I don't want any of them. I like Dennard better than Gilbert and I think Brooks, Bucannon, Ward are all better values...they might even be better players than the two "top" safeties.

If Donald is there, he's a no brainer for the guy with the best potential and likelihood to improve the team in a dramatic way. I don't think he's there though.

Because I don't think he's there, and I don't see another option that is a must take at 14, Emery has to trade down if possible or take the best player, regardless of position. I think rounds 2-5 will be where we see some really clever picks that address our needs on defense. That's where the money will be made.

Because of this, the only scenario in which I will be pissed at is if Donald is there and Emery passes on him. Any other pick, or trade down, I think I can get behind, even one of the three DBs I don't particularly like in that spot.