Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Bloomberg Businessweek ranks #Blackhawks No. 1 for 2014 Smartest Spenders in Sports of 122 franchises in NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB. Cubs dead last.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Without an actual link, could you explain what their criteria was and how they assessed the Cubs?

patg006

Liked Posts:
Behind even the Oilers. Now that is truly embarrassing.

How could the Cardinals be at #2 though?

According to all the apologists and slurpers, they never spend any money.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Holy cow! What could it possibly be other than payroll versus wins? Do you really need the criteria explained to you?
Payroll versus wins? How many seasons? Was it perpetual? Nope. Thanks to Fisch posting a link, as I had asked, I saw exactly what was being compared. Ah, they also give extra weight to Championships, but you don't seem to grasp the difference between a playoff appearance and winning a championship.

Ted: The Cubs suck this year.
Ned: What is your criteria?
Water is wet.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Looking at that site I'm not sure why it would be surprising the cubs are low. It's a 5 year range with the success metric being playoff/championship wins offset by payroll. So, that covers these years

2013: $106,837,810
2012: $109,316,000
2011: $134,004,000
2010: $144,359,000
2009: $134,809,000

The cubs over that time frame won 83, 75, 71, 61, and 66 games. First 3 years were the impact of the tribune running up salary to sell the team. 2012 was the impact of the Ricketts drastically cutting payroll. 2013 was that to some extent but they did add some minor pieces like Jackson(sigh). If anything it shows me how inefficient the 2010-2011 teams were compared to the 2012-2013 teams. $62.21 mil in those two season yielded 19 more wins or put another way spending another $31 per season added about 10 wins. Spending for wins tends to be logarithmic but even if you said it were linear to be a 85ish win team with the efficiency of the 2010-11 teams you'd have to spend upwards of $165-175 mil. That's not to say that the 2012-13 teams were particularly efficient either. I'm just pointing out the amount you're looking at to be "competitive."

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Would it matter with the Cubs? LOL at "how many seasons", as if there is some cutoff point where the Cubs had won multiple championships but they aren't counted under the criteria.
In order to have a ranking there has to be a common frame of reference (in this case 5 years). The criteria isn't just "payroll/wins" to which you have laid claim.

patg006

Liked Posts:
First 3 years were the impact of the tribune running up salary to sell the team.

This point that people keep making is beyond dumb.

You don't attract buyers to your company by raising the cost of running the business to what is claimed as being an unsustainable level.

Idiots like you make it sound like if the Tribune hadn't raised payroll, no one would have been interested in buying the team. The team would still have had plenty of buyers interested in it and would have sold for just as much as it did. If anything, a high payroll would lower the sale price. You don't increase the value of a franchise by increasing costs.

Holy shit are people dumb here.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means..."
I know what that word means, Inigo. What it means is that you misrepresent an argument so that you can win the fake position you created.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
This point that people keep making is beyond dumb.

You don't attract buyers to your company by raising the cost of running the business to what is claimed as being an unsustainable level.

Idiots like you make it sound like if the Tribune hadn't raised payroll, no one would have been interested in buying the team. The team would still have had plenty of buyers interested in it and would have sold for just as much as it did. If anything, a high payroll would lower the sale price. You don't increase the value of a franchise by increasing costs.

Holy shit are people dumb here.

Wow

sent from Jimmer range using Tapatalk

patg006

Liked Posts:
First 3 years were the impact of the tribune running up salary to sell the team.

I just can't get over how dumb and wrong this opinion is that so many people have.

The people who keep claiming that the Tribune ran up payroll and increased spending to make the franchise more valuable and attractive to buyers are the very same ones who cry and whine how those very same contracts were 'albatross contracts' and have handcuffed and prevented the franchise from moving forward.

Really??

If those contracts made the team more valuable and attractive to buyers they would not then be 'albatross contracts' that handcuffed the team and held back the new owners from making progress.

If the contracts indeed were 'albatross contracts' that prevented the team from moving forward and making progress, it would not make the team more valuable and attractive to buyers.

It can't be both.

The increase in payroll simply could not have increased the value of the franchise and made it more appealing to buyers and at the same time handcuffed the organization from moving forward and making progress.

Yet the slurpers, full of agenda, will tell you that it did both.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I just can't get over how dumb and wrong this opinion is that so many people have.

The people who keep claiming that the Tribune ran up payroll and increased spending to make the franchise more valuable and attractive to buyers are the very same ones who cry and whine how those very same contracts were 'albatross contracts' and have handcuffed and prevented the franchise from moving forward.

Really??

If those contracts made the team more valuable and attractive to buyers they would not then be 'albatross contracts' that handcuffed the team and held back the new owners from making progress.

If the contracts indeed were 'albatross contracts' that prevented the team from moving forward and making progress, it would not make the team more valuable and attractive to buyers.

It can't be both.

The increase in payroll simply could not have increased the value of the franchise and made it more appealing to buyers and at the same time handcuffed the organization from moving forward and making progress.

Yet the slurpers, full of agenda, will tell you that it did both.

The Tribune overspent so as to gain a favorable outcome during their chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.

Potential buyers had very little to do with the process.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
hilarious list. god, the cubs are even worse than the lions. you know you're bad then!

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Thats what I figured. You've got nothing, as usual. Thanks.
No. What it means, Rory, is that I'm just kind of done with your poor attitude and trolling efforts. Find someone else willing to waste their time going back and forth with on trivial BS.