Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Let's talk about Tyrus Thomas and LaMarcus Aldridge.....

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's talk about Tyrus Thomas and LaMarcus Aldridge.....

I follow LSU basketball and that was a head scratcher. The dude was only good in the NCAA tourney and teams went nuts over him.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I follow LSU basketball and that was a head scratcher. The dude was only good in the NCAA tourney and teams went nuts over him.

Yep. Still don't understand their thought on that one.

To make matters worse, Aldridge is dominating the Playoffs, Tyrus isn't on a roster and Thomas/Bobcats pick isn't a lottery pick.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hindsight is awesome.

That trade .... It lead us to Rose and Thibodeau. We sucked just enough in 2007-08 to end up with Derrick Rose. Yes, Rose only last three years and may never be a Superstar again, but he did become one.

Aldridge has had a very gradual development as well. He's in his 7th year and in two games against the Rockets looks like a Superstar. Is really a Superstar though?

Many things change for the franchise with Aldridge.

They keep him and say he develops the same way he has in Portland. This is then a team that makes the playoffs every year but likely never takes the next step (much like Portland now). Skiles buys himself another season before a first round exit like causes his exit at some point. That could possibly still lead us to Thibodeau, but that's hard to say. The team obviously doesn't sign Boozer in the 2010 free agency..So its interesting to see what happens there. Given the make up of that team, Joe Johnson is the perfect signing, but no way was he passing up that max offer in Atlanta. So that aspect still happens. The Bulls end up with slim pickings in 2010 (For anyone who thinks Aldridge would have recruited LeBron, Wade, or Bosh, please just stop reading this).

So in hindsight, I don't think it makes the pastures much more greener. The team would be a continual second round fodder maybe ECF once in awhile. Boston still beats this team in those years and of course Miami does, unless having Aldridge leads to some trade happening, given GarPax history though, I don't see it. The team likely rides Noah-Aldridge-Deng-Gordon (Who then walks when he did, and I dunno who replaces him)-Hinrich for years.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
How bad would Skiles have ruined LMA? Not saying he ruined TT's head, noo, don't read into it that way. As much as I wanted LMA, even then, I now believe that Skiles would have screwed him up.

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I vote trading JR Smith away after 6 days.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hindsight is awesome.

That trade .... It lead us to Rose and Thibodeau. We sucked just enough in 2007-08 to end up with Derrick Rose. Yes, Rose only last three years and may never be a Superstar again, but he did become one.

Aldridge has had a very gradual development as well. He's in his 7th year and in two games against the Rockets looks like a Superstar. Is really a Superstar though?

Many things change for the franchise with Aldridge.

They keep him and say he develops the same way he has in Portland. This is then a team that makes the playoffs every year but likely never takes the next step (much like Portland now). Skiles buys himself another season before a first round exit like causes his exit at some point. That could possibly still lead us to Thibodeau, but that's hard to say. The team obviously doesn't sign Boozer in the 2010 free agency..So its interesting to see what happens there. Given the make up of that team, Joe Johnson is the perfect signing, but no way was he passing up that max offer in Atlanta. So that aspect still happens. The Bulls end up with slim pickings in 2010 (For anyone who thinks Aldridge would have recruited LeBron, Wade, or Bosh, please just stop reading this).

So in hindsight, I don't think it makes the pastures much more greener. The team would be a continual second round fodder maybe ECF once in awhile. Boston still beats this team in those years and of course Miami does, unless having Aldridge leads to some trade happening, given GarPax history though, I don't see it. The team likely rides Noah-Aldridge-Deng-Gordon (Who then walks when he did, and I dunno who replaces him)-Hinrich for years.

LA would be developing with the Bulls as well. Who is to say they wouldn't be better in 07-08? They very well could have been just as bad with LA and landed Rose.

Yes, LA is a superstar. It was an awful trade at the time. Thomas hype was ridiculous coming out, which is what a solid NCAA Tournament run does for you. But overall it's a loss for the Bulls.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How bad would Skiles have ruined LMA? Not saying he ruined TT's head, noo, don't read into it that way. As much as I wanted LMA, even then, I now believe that Skiles would have screwed him up.

Very possible. But we will never know now.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Also, the term Superstar has grown out of whack.

There used to only be a few superstars in all of sports, not 10 per league(thus why we have the term star and all-star). If you asked your grandma who LaMarcus Aldridge was, she wouldn't know.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have to go with Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas, immediately followed by Elton Brand for Eddie Curry. A rookie of the year in year 3, for a high school player. yep....we did that. We won the draft, and then we traded it away for a high school player.

I am not kidding, but my sister didn't know anything about basketball much less what is going on in Chicago and she didn't know what was wrong with me, I was ranting and raving and shouting around the house pulling my hair out and she called a suicide hotline in a panic and made me talk to them. hahahahahahah

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also, the term Superstar has grown out of whack.

There used to only be a few superstars in all of sports, not 10 per league(thus why we have the term star and all-star). If you asked your grandma who LaMarcus Aldridge was, she wouldn't know.

Same could be said for majority of the league.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right, which is why the majority of the league isn't filled with superstars.

Also doesn't help he plays in Portland and plays late at night.

If LA isn't one, he's certainly becoming one right now.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Also doesn't help he plays in Portland and plays late at night.

If LA isn't one, he's certainly becoming one right now.

Durant plays in OKC, which is one of the smallest markets in the NBA. Good teams get TV exposure. Portland really hasn't ever earned that status since he's been there. Fault that of Portland GM/Front office but thats what it is. He hasn't been a Durant/LeBron game changer in this league yet either. Maybe we're seeing that in these playoffs right now, maybe we're not. Only time will tell. But based on two games, I can't call him a Superstar. Star? Yes.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would have to go with Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas, immediately followed by Elton Brand for Eddie Curry. A rookie of the year in year 3, for a high school player. yep....we did that. We won the draft, and then we traded it away for a high school player.
It was Tyson Chandler actually. To be fair, Chandler has blossomed in his own right, just not in Chicago because, well, we can't catch a break. But yes, that trade didn't make a ton of sense.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It was Tyson Chandler actually. To be fair, Chandler has blossomed in his own right, just not in Chicago because, well, we can't catch a break. But yes, that trade didn't make a ton of sense.

What has been said is that Jerry Krause was hell bent on getting Eddy Curry. The story is that Krause learned the Clippers were going to take Eddy Curry at #2, so Krause cooked up the scheme of trading Brand for Chandler in order to secure Curry at #4 (Krause was also hell bent on Curry being the actual Bulls pick).

This was when the draft was on TNT and trades and picks weren't known 35 minutes before the actual pick/trade occurred. The trade was announced by the commissioner and was a shock to all when it happened.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What has been said is that Jerry Krause was hell bent on getting Eddy Curry. The story is that Krause learned the Clippers were going to take Eddy Curry at #2, so Krause cooked up the scheme of trading Brand for Chandler in order to secure Curry at #4 (Krause was also hell bent on Curry being the actual Bulls pick).

This was when the draft was on TNT and trades and picks weren't known 35 minutes before the actual pick/trade occurred. The trade was announced by the commissioner and was a shock to all when it happened.
That doesn't surprise me. Krause's last few years with the Bulls were filled with questionable decisions like that.