We Should Have Tanked

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
The pro-tankers on this board were right.

I respect the optimism from the anti-tank posters, but what exactly have we gained by not tanking this season?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Let me get this straight. And first off, I was good either way, so please don't label me one way or the other.

But what say do the fans have in the team tanking or not? Seems like a silly thing to think about and support.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Why are you getting so defensive?....I didn't say any names in my OP.

I'm simply asking what was gained by the team not tanking. Instead of criticizing the thread subject, maybe you can answer the question laid out in the OP.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Not defensive. Just tired of ad nausea subjects. Here's what I said the last time it was asked.

It's worth a DPOY award, and signaling to other quality free agents that they could sign with a team that never quits. Building a culture that wins means you don't tank. If you tank, then you have to build the culture all over again. You can't just hit pause and resume.

On a good note, we made it two games of a first round series without any torn ligaments. :shrug: Still a lot of time left though.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Not defensive. Just tired of ad nausea subjects. Here's what I said the last time it was asked.
Well, I haven't really participated on the board in a while, so I'm unsure of the various recent subjects. I've been mostly drive-by posting & thanking poster's posts the last few months.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Thibs has no clue what that means

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Well, I haven't really participated on the board in a while, so I'm unsure of the various recent subjects. I've been mostly drive-by posting & thanking poster's posts the last few months.

Then get out yo car and participate s'more. :D

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
signing DJ Augustin was a mistake for the tank....i think we would have been a lotto team without him

but i dont think we would have been bad enough to get in the Wiggins/Jabari sweepstakes anyway.....teams really went all out with tanking this year

but its possible we could of got Noah Vonleh who is getting compared to Bosh

but im over it....been over it for months

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Then get out yo car and participate s'more. :D
A whole lot been going on, bro. Business, family, etc..

All good stuff though. I will be back posting regularly with you gents in a couple months.

signing DJ Augustin was a mistake for the tank....i think we would have been a lotto team without him

although i dont tihnk we would have been bad enough to get in he Wiggins/Jabari sweepstakes.....teams really went all out with tanking this year
Yep. We should have handed the PG keys to Teague, instead of getting rid of him.

Even if we only had a "1.7%" chance at a top 2 pick, we would have had that chance. Now, we have nothing but a couple mid to late round picks.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

but i dont think we would have been bad enough to get in the Wiggins/Jabari sweepstakes anyway.....teams really went all out with tanking this year

but its possible we could of got Noah Vonleh who is getting compared to Bosh

but im over it....been over it for months

WIth the lottery anything is possible if you're at least 9th worst (I dont say that just because of Rose, its happened before from that spot too).

Without DJ Augustin the Bulls possibly break NBA records for the worst offense ever.

In any case, I don't feel there are any Melo talks period if we tank. That means we enter the develop a rookie stage while instead we can be instant contenders... if Melo does sign here. Of course thats moot if he does not.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
i know anything is possible but im gonna imagine we wouldn't have got jabari or wiggins

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well we didn't so suck it up and deal with it.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
It's to early to say that. I'm sure free agents out there have taken notice as to how good we are without our superstar player. Plus I think they've noticed how good Thibbs has been at coaching up players. He took DJ Augustine, a bum that was bouncing around the league and close to being out of it, and made him look deserving of not a bench role, but a starting role. If Melo does end up signing here, I'm sure those things played a huge factor in him coming over.

Even if we tanked, was getting a Vonleh/Gordon or someone on that level really going to matter? More than likely not.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Who gives a shit about Noah's DPOY?

Noah and Taj get $500,000 bonuses for winning certain awards. How has that impacted the team though?

The Bulls are still a 4th seed team facing elimination in the 1st round of the playoffs, by a 5th seeded team no less.

Fact: This team has very little talent compared to the rest of the league.
Fact: This team will never contend as constructed, even with Carmelo.

Bulls fans and Chicago sports fans in general seem to have a hard time keeping their eye on the ball. We're so easily distracted by things that don't matter (awards). T

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The pro-tankers on this board were right.

I respect the optimism from the anti-tank posters, but what exactly have we gained by not tanking this season?

That's easy....... Respect and Pride. That's enough. You talk about tanking like it is acceptable. It isn't. From the day most of us grabbed a baseball, basketball, football, or hockey stick. good coaches have taught us how to play the game correctly and hopefully sportsmanship along the way. Tanking is for some other country, not the US.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who gives a shit about Noah's DPOY?

Noah and Taj get $500,000 bonuses for winning certain awards. How has that impacted the team though?

The Bulls are still a 4th seed team facing elimination in the 1st round of the playoffs, by a 5th seeded team no less.

Fact: This team has very little talent compared to the rest of the league.
Fact: This team will never contend as constructed, even with Carmelo.

Bulls fans and Chicago sports fans in general seem to have a hard time keeping their eye on the ball. We're so easily distracted by things that don't matter (awards). T

I totally disagree. Noah deserved the DPOY award. He works his butt off every damn game. In that loss last game, did you see Noah dive on the floor at the end of the game and almost steal that ball? Name me any other big man in basketball that would do that? There isn't any.

I do not care a bit if the Bulls lose to the Wiz. The refereeing has been terrible and the Bulls have been a bit unlucky. It is next year that the Bulls take it all or at least the eastern conference. The make-up of the team next year will be excellent with a superstar(maybe two) joining an already good team and four quality young players. You saying that "this team will NEVER contend as constructed, even with Carmelo", is as silly as anything I have heard in awhile. Tell me, define it. Where is the bad construction?

czman

Liked Posts:
the Bulls had 11 more wins than the Knicks. I don't think DJ added 11 Wins in a partial season. Who else do the Bulls have to move to fall to the 8th seed? I just think the Bulls were to good and hard working to tank.

I am not sure why people keep bringing this up. You can't tank if you have talent. You have to trade that talent. At that point you are trading knowns for unknowns. Very rarely does that work.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
the Bulls had 11 more wins than the Knicks. I don't think DJ added 11 Wins in a partial season

he did

his ability to create for himself and others really made a huge difference.....he was a mini drose for us this year

if we didnt sign him we'd have kirk running around in circles and teague doing god knows what

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Bulls are as talented as some think. Matter of fact, lack of talent explains why they are down in this series. The Bulls beat a more talented team last year in the playoffs...but what constitutes a great regular season team isn't the same for the playoffs. Fact is, the Bulls are near the bottom of all the playoff teams when it comes to actual talent.

If the Bulls were contenders in 2011 with Deng as the second best player on the team...they would be in 2014 with Carmelo or Rose being the second best player on the team.

czman

Liked Posts:
he did

his ability to create for himself and others really made a huge difference.....he was a mini drose for us this year

if we didnt sign him we'd have kirk running around in circles and teague doing god knows what

Not so much. The Bulls were 8-12 when they picked up DJ.

They were 14-18 when they traded Deng.

The Bulls were 34-16 after the Deng trade.

The Deng trade is what spurred the Bulls on to the playoffs. It did a few things.

It moved Dunleavy to the starting lineup so the Bulls had someone who could space the floor.

It brought the Bulls team together against management and spurred the team on.

Noah elevated his game.

DJ has been given way to much credit for what the Bulls did. Noah was the real catalyst for change and Dunleavy's 3-point shooting.