OT: E3 2009

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Early stuff.

XBOX 360 is getting Metal Gear, in the form of Metal Gear Rising. Raiden will be back in the game, no mention of Snake so far.

I know a lot of people hated Raiden, but Sons of Liberty was my first experience with the series, and I thought the game was great, so I don't have much problem with Raiden.

Alan Wake is confirmed to come out in Spring 2010.

Some crappy Halo game was announced, and another crappy Halo game was demoed.

Crackdown 2 was announced.

The Beatles: Rockband was announced for 360 as well. It'll be on PS3 and Wii (most likely a worse version on Wii, as usual) too. Probably this November for x-mas season.

This is pretty exciting. I kind of wanted to get Rockband. When they've been coming out with some of these games, you see like Metallica edition, and other stuff I could care less for. But now they finally made an edition for a band I really like, so I might actually spring for Rock Band now.

Mafia II was announced.

I somewhat liked the original. The PC version is supposed to be really good. I had the PS2 version, which was glitchy. But it was a cool game.

Those are really the highlights, for me at least so far.

fola

Liked Posts:
Interesting. No mention of the Project Natal stuff? Looks kind of incredible. Easily the best part of the conference.

MADman24

Liked Posts:
I can't deny it I'm thoroughly impressed by Project Natal. While I can't see myself doing some of the stuff they demonstrated, like painting, the potential is limitless, I can barely imagine what it would be like teamed up with something like Emotiv EPOC, which literally allows you to play games with your mind. But by itself it is something I don't think anyone saw coming or even imagined and has chance to be something special.

Besides the games already mentioned, I've never liked the Splinter Cell series this one looked excellent. Sony will have a hard time matching the exclusives and of course Project Natal.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
XBOX 360 is clearly the class of gaming right now.

Hopefully this motion control turns out better than the Wii's. When I look at the best games for the Wii, that is Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Punch-Out, Smash Bros, none of them really use any innovative motion controls.

XBOX seems a bit less gimmicky. I assume they will make a Punch-Out style arcade boxer using Natal, which should be good. I could also see them making a Hole in the Wall video game now.

I'm not going to get too excited after what a let down the Wii's motion controls were, but I will say, XBOX's looks like a much better technology than the Wii's did.

fola

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
XBOX 360 is clearly the class of gaming right now.

Hopefully this motion control turns out better than the Wii's. When I look at the best games for the Wii, that is Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Punch-Out, Smash Bros, none of them really use any innovative motion controls.

XBOX seems a bit less gimmicky. I assume they will make a Punch-Out style arcade boxer using Natal, which should be good. I could also see them making a Hole in the Wall video game now.

I'm not going to get too excited after what a let down the Wii's motion controls were, but I will say, XBOX's looks like a much better technology than the Wii's did.

I agree with you, the tech really does look awesome. But the problem with the wii is that as a company they (nintendo)created the system then kind of just left it to the industry to innovate. Whereas microsoft seems to be forcing innovations hand. Which is a good thing. Hopefully with the wii's new 'motion plus' stuff they've learned there lesson. But knowing them, they're probably to busy counting money.

HeavyC

Liked Posts:
I'm very, very interested in Project Natal. It's what the Wii should have been. I'm not so interested in the specific demos they showed, other then navigating the guide ala Minority Report. I'm very interested to see how developers start using it. I can see a lot of ways that standard games using the controller could be augmented. For example, you could be using the controller with the added ability to move it left, right, up, down instead of having to add more buttons.

Some genres of games will benefit from having no controllers at all, and for others simple augmentations like that will be equally as powerful. Nintendo and Sony are going to have their hands full, because right now there is literally nothing they could announce that would have me abandon my 360.

Also, I'm pretty stoked to have Facebook, Twitter, and Last.fm integration in the dash.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
The one thing I could see Nintendo doing that would trump Microsoft's announcement is announce a new handheld system. DS will have been out 5 years this winter, and it seems like Nintendo has abandoned producing games for the system.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
They just announced a new edition in the Knights of the Old Republic series during the EA Press Conference.

senrad

Liked Posts:
Natal looks really cool. The facial and voice recognition alone would be a huuuuuuuuuuuge achievement.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
I'm in the middle of MGS4 (just started ACT3). Probably one of the greatest games I've ever played thus far. The fact that Ive played Metal Gear and everything up through MGS4 probably makes it that much cooler.

Is the game for 360 going to be the same game as mgs4? A sequel?

Anybody see anything on Bioshock 2. That is the game I cannot wait for.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
It's a separate series. It's not a solid game. It'll be on PS3 too fwiw.

Hopefully they get Metal Gear Solid 4 on 360 eventually, because I don't think I'll be shelling out for a PS3 ever.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Nintendo announces New Super Mario Bros. Wii. It looks like a near exact rip off of the DS game. Nintendo hard at work again!

They just announced Wii Fit Plus. Showed off a jumping game similar to some stuff shown during Natal.

No one cared any, because Natal is obviously so much better than the balance board.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
What did you hear about Mafia 2? I have been waiting for a sequel for years...

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Basketball will be parts of Wii Sports Resort using Wii Motion Plus.

Other sports in it are skydiving. (Seems to work good with the controller, but doesn't look all that fun. The demoer couldn't even really sell it as fun).

Archery seems to work well with the controller as well. Looks like it will be fun the first few times you play it.

The basketball looks stupid. These guys would probably hit 2 shots in a real three point contest. Comes out July 26th.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I think the DSI is the deathblow of the DS. I don't think people are going to like having to buy a DSi in order to play the new Zelda game.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Nintendo announces the Wii Vitality Sensor. Puts it on your finger and it senses your pulse or some dumb stuff. They didn't have even a demo to show with it...just coming up with accessories for the sake of making money. I think that's clear when you can't even demo anything with it.

Also announced Super Mario Galaxy 2.

senrad

Liked Posts:
Anybody else get in on the 1 vs. 100 demo last night? I thought it was pretty cool.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
The playstation conference seems lame.