Dan Wetzel: The NBA's Uncool Rule

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Pretty good article on the whole Derrick Rose situation.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...05nYcB?slug=dw-rose060109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I wonder how long before it becomes wide spread for more players to do what Jeremy Tyler did, and skip their senior year of high school, and play two years of Euroball, before coming out for the draft.

And above that, I wonder how long before a player skips their senior year of high school, and plays ONE year of international ball, and then declares for the draft, and takes the NBA to court, claiming they are an international player. (International players can come into the draft 18 years old).

Seth

Liked Posts:
I think this is an awesome way for guys to get a basketball education, make some money, and have a good time. I would love love love to see this become the norm for elite HS prospects (the ones who have no intention to spend 4 years in college completing a degree). The derrick rose SAT thing is just an example of how academics and sports create conflicts of interests.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I don't think I'd want kids jumping from junior yr of HS into the pros in europe. Can you imagine a 16yr in europe, with no parental guidance of any kind, given a bunch of money, and a new car, getting into more trouble than when they were back home? I certainly can. It's not the skipping high school I would be worried about, but the fact they are just kids, most of whom haven't even set foot outside of their respective neighborhoods, and don't know jack about living on their own. That's a recipe for alot of young ballplayers to be taken advantage of.

I think the 19yr old rule is a complete joke and it shouldn't be enforced anymore. If you're going to make these kids go to college then it has to be a 3-yr thing like the NFL does. It'll force them to keep their grades up for fear of ineligibility. But we know education is not the reason that Stern made that move, so it's time to let the HS-ers back into the draft.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
I don't think I'd want kids jumping from junior yr of HS into the pros in europe. Can you imagine a 16yr in europe, with no parental guidance of any kind, given a bunch of money, and a new car, getting into more trouble than when they were back home? I certainly can. It's not the skipping high school I would be worried about, but the fact they are just kids, most of whom haven't even set foot outside of their respective neighborhoods, and don't know jack about living on their own. That's a recipe for alot of young ballplayers to be taken advantage of.

I think the 19yr old rule is a complete joke and it shouldn't be enforced anymore. If you're going to make these kids go to college then it has to be a 3-yr thing like the NFL does. It'll force them to keep their grades up for fear of ineligibility. But we know education is not the reason that Stern made that move, so it's time to let the HS-ers back into the draft.

Jeremy Tyler's dad and uncle are going to be splitting time in Europe with him, with at least one of them over there at any given time.

Any respectable European team (which is where these guys who choose this route will go, as it will likely only be the top prospects going over) set you up with an apartment/condo/house, a car, and a living stipend, which makes things pretty easy.

A lot of kids in Europe will play professionally since they were like 14, 15, 16 years old. So I'm sure they have figured out how to deal with kids pretty well by now.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I wonder how long before it becomes wide spread for more players to do what Jeremy Tyler did, and skip their senior year of high school, and play two years of Euroball, before coming out for the draft.

I think the problem is that most top prospects are paid more under the table by NCAA schools than by Euroleague teams.

And above that, I wonder how long before a player skips their senior year of high school, and plays ONE year of international ball, and then declares for the draft, and takes the NBA to court, claiming they are an international player. (International players can come into the draft 18 years old).

Well all players in the draft have to be 19 in the calendar year of the draft, international or otherwise.

The official rules for international players is that they must be a permanent resident overseas for at least three years. I don't know that a player would win a lawsuit, because I'm not sure what they could base it on.

The league doesn't have the anti-trust exemption that baseball does to my understanding and isn't getting special treatment, and they're able to apply whatever employment rules they desire I believe.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
If a kid wanted to go to Europe to play ball for his senior year and freshman year of college, fine.

I've always found it funny that people care so much about the education of basketball players. If an average kid dropped out of high school at 17, no one cares. People also don't care when 16 year olds play tennis or hockey in junior leagues. It's a joke.

The NBA needs to have a real minor league system. Then this Derrick Rose stuff wouldn't be an issue.