Steve Cohen: Leave Age Limit Out of Next CBA

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
badboy wrote:
With that type of thinking Shakes I think I need to bring up what Stern said again. I could drive from I was twelve. Would have liked to see me or anyone else driving a car on the streets at that age? Would you argue the rule in congress for their age limit the same way? If I am an owner of an NBA team and I see kids coming into the NBA sitting on benches to eventually dropping out but sat their for years getting money they didn't earn holding my product as well as others and dropping ratings and value in my team should I still allow them to continue to cause me to lose money(lower my profits)?

I can point to four year college grads sitting on benches, eventually dropping out, sitting their earning money while not holding up the product. The 2002 and 2003 rookies of the year were straight out of high school. Then in 2004 it was Okafor (should of been Gordon), but a high schooler ended up the best player from that class by year 2. Then there was no more high schoolers.

The rule is unfair, because it allows international players to be 18 and entering the draft, as long as they turn by 19 by the end of the calendar year. I turned 19 within the same year of graduating high school, and I'm sure uite a few NBA players have done the same, so why shouldn't these players who turn 19 by the end of the calendar year be allowed to enter the draft, when international players can?

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I'd argue exactly that, the league should have no more right to restrict the league to a certain age than they do a certain race. I don't care whether it makes the league better, it's unfair discrimination over an aspect of their life (birth date) that players have no control over.

I disagree, because an age minimum is a temporary condition. All players (unless they die) eventually qualify to meet it.

There are many activities in this country restricted by age because of the dangers of letting younger people do them. Why have an age limit on drinking, smoking, driving, etc..

The point here is "unfair" discrimination. Discriminating based on age doesn't strike me as "unfair" it applies evenly to everyone. It's a requirement of participation, and one that ensures a better product for the league.

Many companies have requirements for certain levels of college education or years of experience to be considered for a job. Is this really that different?

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I'd argue exactly that, the league should have no more right to restrict the league to a certain age than they do a certain race. I don't care whether it makes the league better, it's unfair discrimination over an aspect of their life (birth date) that players have no control over.

I disagree, because an age minimum is a temporary condition. All players (unless they die) eventually qualify to meet it.

There are many activities in this country restricted by age because of the dangers of letting younger people do them. Why have an age limit on drinking, smoking, driving, etc..

The point here is "unfair" discrimination. Discriminating based on age doesn't strike me as "unfair" it applies evenly to everyone. It's a requirement of participation, and one that ensures a better product for the league.

Many companies have requirements for certain levels of college education or years of experience to be considered for a job. Is this really that different?

The NBA's age rule is racist towards Americans.