Sammy Sosa To Retire From Baseball

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
SANTO DOMINGO -- Former Chicago Cubs outfielder Sammy Sosa said Wednesday that he will soon announce his formal retirement from baseball and that he will not allow his legacy to be stained by steroid-use accusations.

"Everything I achieved, I did it thanks to my perseverance, which is why I never had any long, difficult moments [as a baseball player]. If you have a bad day in baseball, and start thinking about it, you will have 10 more," said Sosa.

"I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Don't I have the numbers to be inducted?" said Sosa, who presently serves the Dominican government as special ambassador for investment opportunities.

Sosa had a total of 609 home runs in his career, including seasons of 66 homers in 1998; 63 in 1999; and 64 in 2001. He last played in 2007, when he was with the Rangers, a season he called his most fulfilling, with 21 home runs and 92 RBIs in only 114 games.

In an interview with ESPNdeportes.com, the Dominican slugger said he would not address allegations of steroid use.

"I always played with love and responsibility and I assure you that I will not answer nor listen to rumors. If anything ugly comes up in the future, we will confront it immediately, but with all our strength because I will not allow anybody to tarnish what I did in the field," Sosa said.

"It's all about timing and this is not the moment to discuss that topic [drug tests]. I'm here as an ambassador to my country, trying to find new business opportunities for my people. Perhaps we'll discuss some other time," Sosa said.

"The scandal on steroids and all those suspensions will not overshadow the game. Currently, there are many Latino players performing well [offensively]. There's [Albert] Pujols, Carlos Pena; Nelson Cruz has 15. Then what? There's someone else that already has 22 home runs [Adrian Gonzalez] ... we have hit and will continue to hit homers in the major leagues."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?id=4229022

Is Sosa going to become the Godfather of Latin baseball players?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I certainly hope not...he is one of the main reasons I find baseball uninteresting.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Well, Sammy is the greatest Latin Power Hitter of all-time. As for being the Godfather of Latin players, even though he's dead, I think Clemente still holds that title. He gave his life trying to deliver aid to earthquake victims, for cyin' out loud. All Sammy ever did was hit homers, blast his stereo in the clubhouse, and beat his wife.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Well, Sammy is the greatest Latin Power Hitter of all-time. As for being the Godfather of Latin players, even though he's dead, I think Clemente still holds that title. He gave his life trying to deliver aid to earthquake victims, for cyin' out loud. All Sammy ever did was hit homers, blast his stereo in the clubhouse, and beat his wife.

Wasn't Sammy named Humanitarian of the Year in 1999...or something of that pizazz.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
Diddy1122 wrote:

Wasn't Sammy named Humanitarian of the Year in 1999...or something of that pizazz.

Sosa won it in 1998, but that award is named in Clemente's honor. He was the 1st latin player to win a World Series as a starter, the 1st Latin MVP, the 1st Latin World Series MVP, & the 1st Latin player inducted into the HOF. He's also the only player elected to HOF without the mandatory 5-yr waiting period. I don't see anyone doing anything similar for Slammin' Sammy. But from what I hear Sammy is very big in the community and does do alot of charity work so atleast he is honoring Clemente in the best way possible.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Sosa was a piece of shit ball player before the roids so you knew he took them in the lat 90s. Also the corked bat incident and the me speak no English argument made him look like the trash we all knew he was.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Sosa was a piece of shit ball player before the roids so you knew he took them in the lat 90s. Also the corked bat incident and the me speak no English argument made him look like the trash we all knew he was.

I'm not gonna say he was a juicer, but his PED of choice back in the day was Creatine. Hell I think he was even a spokesman for it. The corked bat incident was pretty bad, but I'm not going to fault a guy who's first language is not english, for using a translator in court. Heck Sosa wasn't that good at speaking english in the first place, so I don't expect he woulda understood all of the supreme court lingo.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Trash? You mean in his young 20's? Most baseball players are trash in their young 20's.

What incentive does Sammy have to speak English to Congress? If I major in Spanish in college, and can speak it pretty well and have to go on trial in Spain. I now I'm sure as hell getting an interpreter. He still answered the questions. It's not like he dodged them. He just answered them in a way that allowed him not to be misconstrued.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

I'm not gonna say he was a juicer, but his PED of choice back in the day was Creatine. Hell I think he was even a spokesman for it. The corked bat incident was pretty bad, but I'm not going to fault a guy who's first language is not english, for using a translator in court. Heck Sosa wasn't that good at speaking english in the first place, so I don't expect he woulda understood all of the supreme court lingo.

To say no I never took steroids is pretty easy to say as for the juice yes he did take it. You could see all the signs, the huge muscles, the big head, and lets not forget Jose Canseco said he did which 99.9% means he did.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Did Jose say he did it? I don't remember that but if he did, well I'm inclined to believe it. I don't think he ever played with Canseco so I don't know how Jose would really know. Creatine was HUGE back in 98, I had several HS friends who were taking it, and they bulked up quite a bit.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Did Jose say he did it? I don't remember that but if he did, well I'm inclined to believe it. I don't think he ever played with Canseco so I don't know how Jose would really know. Creatine was HUGE back in 98, I had several HS friends who were taking it, and they bulked up quite a bit.

Canseco never said that Sammy took steroids.

Canseco says: "Sammy Sosa … I can't say for a fact he took steroids … but he gained 30 pounds just like that … you could see the bloating in his face and neck. It seemed so obvious. It was a joke." -- "Juiced," 2005

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

You can't say Sosa took 'roids. There is no evidence of it. If some comes out then you have a case, but you have nothing at the moment.

Nothing can be said that he cheated with the corked bat. Some would argue in sports that if you aren't cheating you aren't trying. If refs in the basketball called every foul there'd be no one to play the second quarter and the players know that.

I gave grief to Sosa for not speaking English at the witch hunt. But if he makes a mistake, he could get jail time, so perhaps I would do it too if the shoes were on my feet.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
brett05 wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

You can't say Sosa took 'roids. There is no evidence of it. If some comes out then you have a case, but you have nothing at the moment.

Nothing can be said that he cheated with the corked bat. Some would argue in sports that if you aren't cheating you aren't trying. If refs in the basketball called every foul there'd be no one to play the second quarter and the players know that.

I gave grief to Sosa for not speaking English at the witch hunt. But if he makes a mistake, he could get jail time, so perhaps I would do it too if the shoes were on my feet.

I could really careless because I know he will never be in the HOF and I will be able to sleep at night knowing that.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Sosa definitely cheated his way up the ladder. He was a totally different ballplayer than in his early career with the Cubs. He has no business being compared to Clemente and I don't think you will see the Cubs retiring his number. Canseco never saw him but there is no way they will let him in HOF if McGwire and Palmeiro don't get in. The only one who will go in is Bonds, because he was a HOFer before he started cheating.

Well, Sammy is the greatest Latin Power Hitter of all-time.

Unless Pujols is Swedish, I beg to differ.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And here I am thinking that Sosa had already retired.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I could really careless because I know he will never be in the HOF and I will be able to sleep at night knowing that.

That helps you sleep? Call up Walgreen's, see if they can bottle that.