Garnett guarantees '10 & '11 titles

cool007

Liked Posts:
Kevin Garnett's recovery from right knee surgery apparently is going well. Garnett expressed optimism in a recent conversation with team owner Wyc Grousbeck, who spoke yesterday at a corporate sponsorship event at the Boston Harbor Hotel. "I talked to [Garnett] and he guaranteed the championship in 2010 and in 2011," Grousbeck said. "He was as fired up as he's ever been."

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I think it's highly unlikely, but the Cavs played the Magic to seven games without Kevin Garnett, it's hard to see them not having also beat the Cavs and having a good shot at a title this year if he were healthy.

Especially given that they had to go to Glen Davis with him out, and they were also missing Leon Powe.

MADman24

Liked Posts:
I thought the Celtics would win the title again this year if he returned healthy and if he fully recovers I would have to put say they would have a great shot again next year and maybe in 2011 if the big 3 can retain their skills that long. But guaranteeing 2 titles in a row when all of your stars are all the downsides of your career is a little much. Although KG has always been a little much this seems a little out of character for him.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
MADman24 wrote:
I thought the Celtics would win the title again this year if he returned healthy and if he fully recovers I would have to put say they would have a great shot again next year and maybe in 2011 if the big 3 can retain their skills that long. But guaranteeing 2 titles in a row when all of your stars are all the downsides of your career is a little much. Although KG has always been a little much this seems a little out of character for him.

This doesn't seem out of character for him at all to me. It seems exactly like something he'd do except that I'm surprised he didn't guarantee 10 titles and that he'd surpass Bill Russell as the greatest celtic of all time.

I don't think the Celtics will win another title, but they'll definitely have a legit shot next year.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
KG is high on PCP if he thinks they'll even get close to sniffing a title next yr or the yr after. Pierce is old, and it showed this playoffs. Allen's not getting any younger. KG will miss 20 some games again nxt yr, and will probably not be anywhere near the player he was before. When there's no structural damamge in your knee and you're still having trouble running and moving around, that's a sign that your playing days are numbered.

Rondo and Big Baby are about the only good things they have going for them future-wise. And Baby is a RFA, so if he gets a big offer, which I doubt, but if he does, will the C's be willing to match? Their bench is dreadful regardless but losing Big Baby would not make it any prettier.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
If they do that trade for Amare I dont doubt they will be in the finals next year.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
I don't see it happening, they are starting to look like those Celtic teams of the early 90's when Bird, McHale, and Parrish got too old, Pierce, Ray, and KG have a lot of miles on those bodies, will they be able to bring back Big Baby and Powe, it gets tougher for older player, they might be able squeak out one more title, but it better be next season, the window is barley open on this team.

Riker

Liked Posts:
Well, Ray is not exactly the type of player affected by his mileage, he's old but that won't affect him that much.

Paul Pierce is already slower than Oliver Miller, and that didn't stop him from some very impressive games last year, so that won't be too much of a problem either.

But Garnett is the problem. I think the surgery he had is very dangerous and I think he will never be the same KG.

I think he'll slow down quite and that can't possibly be good. We'll see.

Liked Posts:
If they can add a tier 2 player at the very LEAST and Garnett manages to stay healthy not only do I see the Celtics taking the next two - they may very well make it a three-peat.

If we learned anything watching Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen it was this - great players thrive into their old age and we could very well be in for seeing that again in Boston.

I say it's going down.

What do you say?

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Frank Breakfast-Styleham wrote:
If they can add a tier 2 player at the very LEAST and Garnett manages to stay healthy not only do I see the Celtics taking the next two - they may very well make it a three-peat.

If we learned anything watching Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen it was this - great players thrive into their old age and we could very well be in for seeing that again in Boston.

I say it's going down.

What do you say?

What's a tier 2 player? Someone like a Jamal Crawford, or Gerald Wallace? I don't think Boston has the necessary cap space to sign a player like that. They're not getting BG that's for sure.

Even if they did get a player like that, 1 of the big 3 would probably have to go, so I really don't see it happening. KG, Allen, & Pierce have racked up TONS of games on their legs. KG will be in his 14th season, Allen 13th, & Pierce 11th. They have played well into the playoffs the last two seasons 14 games this yr, & 26 last yr. Pierce has played 890 career games, KG 1,128, & Allen 1,019. MJ played 1,109 games in his career before retiring (not including his ridiculous stint w/ Washington which I don't even count.) Pip was at 833 games before leaving after 1998. And the Bulls won most of the titles with both Pip & MJ in their prime. Boston's Big Three is past their prime already and they've only won 1.

KG is coming off major surgery & will not be the same player he was before. Pierce had 5 bags of ice on his knees after every game, and has already significantly slowed down. If it wasn't for his amazing ability to get to the line, I doubt he would even be a 20ppg scorer which he barely was this year. Allen is the only one who appears to be ageless out of that group, but his game is a perimeter game which usually leads to a longer career. I don't think there's anyway that the Celts win another championship with that group intact.