With Samardzija's lack of run support, ...

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Most vacuous post of 2014 so far. This is actually worse than the inane posts and various ones that were contradictory and/or wrong.

Fisch, use the ban hammer instead of letting Lex pollute this forum with shit.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Most vacuous post of 2014 so far. This is actually worse than the inane posts and various ones that were contradictory and/or wrong.
I stand by my post. Essentially, if Renteria put Barney in the 4 hole when Shark was pitching, you would blame Barney for not hitting home runs because he's the cleanup hitter.

Liked Posts:
Fine you want slugging? Rizzo is 9th for 1B and actually ahead of Cabrera(.488 vs .481). Castro is 8th for SS ahead of Hanley Ramirez(.435 to .427).

Wrong. Essentially why you blame Rizzo and Castro is because you expect them to be something they aren't.

Apparently not. But also, you mentioned Barney in the middle of the order as some kind of rebuttal. You're really not making any sense. Atall.

Argumentum ad abusurdum is quite accurate. Stop trying to use words like they have no meaning with laughable responses.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
To use your train of thought, they both are shitting. They've been two of the three best offensive players in the lineup (Bonifacio being the other). The other 5 guys are who you need to be worrying about.

The free pass Bonifacio gets for being pretty terrible outside of the first 8 or so games (basically when they stopped playing the Pirates) is impressive. I know that people are slow to react to the hot and slow starts of playesr, but this is ridiculous given that his slash line has been in the neighborhood as Darwin Barney during that time frame.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I find people talking about the win stat as if it means something the most ridiculous part of this thread. The fact that Samardzija doesn't have a win at this point isn't about the failings of a bad offense, but just how ludicrous the stat is when guys have earned wins despite doing their job poorly and Shark doesn't while excelling.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The free pass Bonifacio gets for being pretty terrible outside of the first 8 or so games (basically when they stopped playing the Pirates) is impressive. I know that people are slow to react to the hot and slow starts of playesr, but this is ridiculous given that his slash line has been in the neighborhood as Darwin Barney during that time frame.

Eh... I mean sure Bonifacio hasn't been great in May but clearly he was going to come down to earth after his april start. He still hit .337/.385/.406 in April which is far from 2 series they had against pittsburgh. And while he is hitting .156/.206/.188 in may, his BABIP is .227. I get that you can argue he's not making good contact with the ball but eventually that's going to come up with his career BABIP being in the .330's. I think it's just a case of average considering he was unsustainable in April. Also we're 12 days into may so he could still turn it around this month after a mini-slump.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Eh... I mean sure Bonifacio hasn't been great in May but clearly he was going to come down to earth after his april start. He still hit .337/.385/.406 in April which is far from 2 series they had against pittsburgh. And while he is hitting .156/.206/.188 in may, his BABIP is .227. I get that you can argue he's not making good contact with the ball but eventually that's going to come up with his career BABIP being in the .330's. I think it's just a case of average considering he was unsustainable in April. Also we're 12 days into may so he could still turn it around this month after a mini-slump.

Here is his numbers since they last played Pittsburgh: .220/.268/.275. That is not coming down to earth that is falling off a cliff. That is 99 PA and 22 games started that he has put up those numbers. His numbers in the first three series has completely distorted the image most people have of Bonifacio which just shows how much stock people put into those early numbers because it takes forever for people to adjust their expectations accordingly. Is Bonifacio the player he is showing in the past 100 PAs? No he is better than that, but we would be talking about him in the same vein as Nate Schierholtz, Justin Ruggiano, Ryan Sweeney right now if he didn't hit .452/.500/.524 in those first nine games.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Is Bonifacio the player he is showing in the past 100 PAs? No he is better than that, but we would be talking about him in the same vein as Nate Schierholtz, Justin Ruggiano, Ryan Sweeney right now if he didn't hit .452/.500/.524 in those first nine games.

But he did and more importantly he has a history of the numbers he put up early on(well once they hit an obvious regression that is). And unlike the players you mentioned he's also had to play all around the field and hasn't seen as many days off against tougher pitching. I mean Bonifacio isn't amazing but to cast him off like a player that needs to be cut is a bit much. If they released Ruggiano today it would be justifiable. Even if Bonifacio had a strong start those numbers still count and releasing him would but quite uncalled for at this point.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
But he did and more importantly he has a history of the numbers he put up early on(well once they hit an obvious regression that is). And unlike the players you mentioned he's also had to play all around the field and hasn't seen as many days off against tougher pitching. I mean Bonifacio isn't amazing but to cast him off like a player that needs to be cut is a bit much. If they released Ruggiano today it would be justifiable. Even if Bonifacio had a strong start those numbers still count and releasing him would but quite uncalled for at this point.

I am not talking about cutting anyone, but the fact remains that the view of him that many Cubs fan of him is completely colored by an unbelievable stretch of play to start the year. He has been pretty bad ever since in all honesty. That is the only point that I have raised and will continue to raise until his numbers stabilize either to the level he has played the vast majority of his career at or if it is anything close to the player he has shown flashes of at different points in his career.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I find people talking about the win stat as if it means something the most ridiculous part of this thread. The fact that Samardzija doesn't have a win at this point isn't about the failings of a bad offense, but just how ludicrous the stat is when guys have earned wins despite doing their job poorly and Shark doesn't while excelling.

And no one argues that in the short term

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk