What would you trade for Evgeni Malkin?

Liked Posts:
We know that Malkin and Crosby are almost untouchable. But with their recent playoff failures, Malkin being the player they would trade over Crosby is not that far fetched for the right price. The Hawks would have to give up Raanta, Hossa, and Tervainen; but Hossa is old and the other two are unproven, so it is a longshot. Everyone here would enjoy getting Kunitz off their hands who could be had for much less than Malkin

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
We know that Malkin and Crosby are almost untouchable. But with their recent playoff failures, Malkin being the player they would trade over Crosby is not that far fetched for the right price. The Hawks would have to give up Raanta, Hossa, and Tervainen; but Hossa is old and the other two are unproven, so it is a longshot. Everyone here would enjoy getting Kunitz off their hands who could be had for much less than Malkin

Don't forget the fact that Russian players are always hated in the NHL due to the longstanding rivalry between Russian and Canadian hockey.

That being said, that trade isn't happening. Not now, probably not ever. Trading for players with huge cap hits is a one-way ticket to salary cap hell, even if it's a name and a talent as big as Malkin. It's not worth the financial headache. The Hawks have won two Cups and could be in line for a third without him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
come on, I don't want to answer that. Malkin is amazing. Anything but Keith or Toews or your foolish. How and in what world have their ousters been Malkins fault? They need a goaltender and a defense.

Tuevo, Hossa, and Raanta? Please.....you really think they would do that? Trade one bad contract for one of the only contracts in the NHL that is worse? And mini-me tiny T?

If Crawford wins a second cup though do we trade Raanta for something juicy? Package with a defender and help out a team with back end issues? I could see that.

and having said that, you still can't trade Kane away no matter how concerned you are about his longevity. He is too symbolic of our team just as Malkin is to them. Both fan bases would be ticked.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
and having said that, you still can't trade Kane away no matter how concerned you are about his longevity. He is too symbolic of our team just as Malkin is to them. Both fan bases would be ticked.

It would not surprise me if Malkin is on the trading block and, as I said earlier, it's largely because Malkin is Russian and there's a longstanding mistrust of all things Russian in the NHL. There's always a concern that the player will head home to the KHL. The term "Russian" and "enigmatic" are nearly interchangeable in the hockey media. Just look at all the vitriol being spewed towards Ovechkin despite him being the absolute best goal-scorer the NHL has seen in about 10-15 years.

Liked Posts:
if ovechkin would have won a cup, there would not be as much negatively towards him. if ovi won a cup and went to two finals while crosby kept exiting in the first round, then sid would have the same agro against him. Many people love Malkin and think his current team is holding him back

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
After reading about how much of a baby Crysby and Malkin are behind the scenes, i wouldnt want either anywhere near the machine that is your champion Blackhawks. Fuck them. Fuck them both.

LOL

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Personally I think a guy like Ryan Kesler would be a much better fit - they already have a good enough offense as it is. There is no real reason to get attracted to big brand names for the sake of the big brand name - that is more what losing teams do to attract a fan base.

Plus if you think about it - what with all of the 'star studded' talent in Pittsburgh they still only ever made 2 trips to the finals (08 and 09) -and they may not be the legends that some people have made them out o be - their performance seems to suggest that they are a good team -but not able to make that next step but that once (and even then it was in a 7th game.). Yeah it still counts- but my point being it was not 'dominant'.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Personally I think a guy like Ryan Kesler would be a much better fit - they already have a good enough offense as it is. There is no real reason to get attracted to big brand names for the sake of the big brand name - that is more what losing teams do to attract a fan base.

Plus if you think about it - what with all of the 'star studded' talent in Pittsburgh they still only ever made 2 trips to the finals (08 and 09) -and they may not be the legends that some people have made them out o be - their performance seems to suggest that they are a good team -but not able to make that next step but that once (and even then it was in a 7th game.). Yeah it still counts- but my point being it was not 'dominant'.

I was kinda hoping Bowman would figure a way to get Kesler here at the deadline.

Malkin....always thought his fame was partially the product of playing on the east coast. Decent player, but not a fit here.

Junis

Liked Posts:
I personally wouldn't want to trade for Malkin. Malkin is a great player but I don't think he would fit into our system that well. I think Hossa is a great player who plays a lot like him and I would much rather have Hossa.