1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
So what are Kane and Toews going to get paid this summer. :tiptoe:

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
From what I understand next year the core should stay the same but after the 2015 Finals a lot of changes are going to need to be made. Hopefully we get another big boost in the salary cap following the '15 season and it isn't too drastic. I read an article stating both should have a $11-12 mil hit

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So what are Kane and Toews going to get paid this summer. :tiptoe:

I think it really depends on how much they both want to continue to be Stanley Cup contenders. They're not stupid....so I guess we'll all find out if they are greedy or not. The two of them won't win a Cup by themselves, so to leave Bowman enough cash in the till to continue to keep this thing going would be a wise move. But, again the question will be answered .... are they greedy or are they not?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think it really depends on how much they both want to continue to be Stanley Cup contenders. They're not stupid....so I guess we'll all find out if they are greedy or not. The two of them won't win a Cup by themselves, so to leave Bowman enough cash in the till to continue to keep this thing going would be a wise move. But, again the question will be answered .... are they greedy or are they not?

Have to pay quality players like Brandon Bollig :D

Junis

Liked Posts:
I think we are definitely gonna try and get Toews and Kane extensions after this season. A lot of the other majors pieces are gonna still be under contract for a few years. There are some players I feel are expendable if needed, like Bollig, Morin, Handzus (Probably will retire), Rosival, Brookbank

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I read somewhere Seabrook would become expendable within a year or 2

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think a key development will be whether Tuevo can be Kane, or Kane compatible. If Tuevo is so much like Kane that the two can't play together, and Kane-Toews doesn't work as well because Kane doesn't get as protected or whatever reason they have against it, and for the same reasons Tuevo is a second line winger that doesn't add much physicality but adds scoring.....

it raises an interesting problem around the time Kane is getting extended or shipped. Just something to watch out for imo.....never trust front offices when they start to see a cheaper plan emerging.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I think a key development will be whether Tuevo can be Kane, or Kane compatible. If Tuevo is so much like Kane that the two can't play together, and Kane-Toews doesn't work as well because Kane doesn't get as protected or whatever reason they have against it, and for the same reasons Tuevo is a second line winger that doesn't add much physicality but adds scoring.....

it raises an interesting problem around the time Kane is getting extended or shipped. Just something to watch out for imo.....never trust front offices when they start to see a cheaper plan emerging.

Meth is a helluva drug.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Teuvo and Kane should rarely play together, if at all. Having them on the ice at the same time is redundant. They're both playmakers.

And the Hawks keep trying Teuvo at center, not wing. In an ideal world, this is my Top 6 next year:

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teuvo-Hossa

Putting Teuvo between those two can help compensate for what will likely be some early shortcomings in the defensive part of the game.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
From what I understand next year the core should stay the same but after the 2015 Finals a lot of changes are going to need to be made. Hopefully we get another big boost in the salary cap following the '15 season and it isn't too drastic. I read an article stating both should have a $11-12 mil hit
Not gonna happen. Its unrealistic in todays NHL that contracts jump to almost double of what they are making off their first RFA contracts. I can see Toews and Kane getting similar deals with 8/8.5 million cap hits with either max years or short contracts so they can cash in one more time before they start to decline. Getting these two signed shouldnt be a problem, what Stan does to fill out the third and fourth lines to keep such outrageous depth will be the key. What is a concern is keeping Saad, Leddy, and Smith, all of whom have proven to be key pieces and two of them havent peaked in terms of production and one guy who is firmly proven to be a very good fourth liner.

ole'

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Teuvo and Kane should rarely play together, if at all. Having them on the ice at the same time is redundant. They're both playmakers.

And the Hawks keep trying Teuvo at center, not wing. In an ideal world, this is my Top 6 next year:

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teuvo-Hossa

Putting Teuvo between those two can help compensate for what will likely be some early shortcomings in the defensive part of the game.

Teuvo's defensive short comings are a bit exaggerated, imo. But that second line is just plain nasty.

ole'

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

CapGeek.com is a great resource for all of this. Highly recommend it.

They're projecting a $71.1 million cap next year, up from $64.3 this year. That's a pretty huge leap.

It's the summer of 2015 when Toews and Kane are up. Right now, the Hawks have 10 players signed that year with a total cap hit of just over $42 million. I think Toews and Kane are looking at $8-$9 million cap hits each, personally. Add in $18 million for those two and you're at $60 million accounted for by 12 players.

I don't think Toews and Kane are going anywhere, personally. Two guys I'm far more concerned about that offseason are Nick Leddy and Brandon Saad, who both will be restricted free agents that summer. If another team tries to throw an offer sheet their way, the Hawks may lose one. I highly doubt they'd lose both.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Teuvo's defensive short comings are a bit exaggerated, imo. But that second line is just plain nasty.

Ain't it?

Like I've said before, the Hawks may be an even better team next year.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I think there is a very realistic chance that Kane/Toews will be signed at a cap hit of $10mil+. Sure they can sign on to a more cap/team friendly deal, but the salary cap is going up approximately $7 mil this offseason and projected to go up again the year after. What that means is that players are going to be making more than ever, especially the stars/superstars of the league. It is also going to make long term deals signed in the last few years look like steals...Hossa and Keith are going to be ridiculous bargains, even more so than now.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
CapGeek.com is a great resource for all of this. Highly recommend it.

They're projecting a $71.1 million cap next year, up from $64.3 this year. That's a pretty huge leap.

It's the summer of 2015 when Toews and Kane are up. Right now, the Hawks have 10 players signed that year with a total cap hit of just over $42 million. I think Toews and Kane are looking at $8-$9 million cap hits each, personally. Add in $18 million for those two and you're at $60 million accounted for by 12 players.

I don't think Toews and Kane are going anywhere, personally. Two guys I'm far more concerned about that offseason are Nick Leddy and Brandon Saad, who both will be restricted free agents that summer. If another team tries to throw an offer sheet their way, the Hawks may lose one. I highly doubt they'd lose both.

Nice knowing ya Leddy.

Do we have any Offensive minded defensemen in the pipeline?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
An important thing to remember in all of this is that cap hits are determined by your average annual salary. It's not like the NFL where you can load up the cap hits in the first few years of the deal.

12-year deal for $84 million equals a $7 million cap hit for 12 years, regardless of what the player's salary is.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Nice knowing ya Leddy.

Do we have any Offensive minded defensemen in the pipeline?

Adam Clendening has been in the top 2 or 3 for points among AHL defensemen in the last 2 seasons.

Leddy is still going to be an excellent NHL defensemen and a fantastic power play QB someday. It should be in Chicago.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teuvo-Hossa

Or it gives Q the chance to reunite the Scourge of God line with Bickell-Toews-Kane, then Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ain't it?

Like I've said before, the Hawks may be an even better team next year.

Good Lord, they're gonna be as deep as an ocean next year. I'm gonna predict that both Toews and Kane will go for longevity and will sign contracts that reflect that. They will give Bowman a chance to keep this thing going. Hockey players are generally more conservative than NFL, NBA or MLB players....these guys know they'll never have to work a day of their lives after their NHL careers are over and would like nothing more than to be Cup contenders for whatever time they have left.