Does anyone have a valid excuse to why.....

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Darwin Barney is on a major league roster? I'll wait for the best answers.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Does it really matter, every team has a bad player?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And before someone says he wasn't the reason they lost. Correct he wasn't. He's still hitting under .175 and hasn't been great at second.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was hoping they would have found a way to deal Barney for pretty much anything prior to the season.

I'd trade him for a GameBoy Color.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't even give you a pack of big league chew for the guy, just terrible.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
he is a cost controlled player who still has years of team control left. you know all the catchphrases for building a team the 'right' way.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
he is a cost controlled player who still has years of team control left. you know all the catchphrases for building a team the 'right' way.

Pffft! Take your choice as to which excuse the FO has for not upgrading over that notable piece of shit?

Is it Soriano's albatross of a contract, or ongoing disputes with the rooftop owners?

Did anyone EVER expect Darwin Barney to turn the corner n this millennium? :angryfinger:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Pffft! Take your choice as to which excuse the FO has for not upgrading over that notable piece of shit?

Is it Soriano's albatross of a contract, or ongoing disputes with the rooftop owners?

Did anyone EVER expect Darwin Barney to turn the corner n this millennium? :angryfinger:

Honestly, I doubt they gave much of a shit because presumably one of Alcantara and Baez will have played well enough to earn playing time by midseason. While I really never was a huge Barney guy, their lack of attention to the OF is more troubling to me. Not saying people have to like the approach they took with Barney since they are sort of saying screw it. But in the case of the OF, Soler and Almora are at least 2 years away. Bryant could end up in the OF but obviously you'd prefer him to stick at 3B. I can understand them giving Nate another shot after a pretty decent season and having Lake get some extended at bats is ok I suppose. But having your other 3 OF being Ruggiano, Sweeney and Kalish just seems like you're asking for trouble.

Some have suggested they should have stuck with Soriano. With him hitting .240/.266/.413 in about 1/3 of a season he seemingly appears to not have been the answer. I liked David Murphy as a short term bridge and he got 2 years $12 mil and he's hitting .268/.335/.439. Rajai Davis got 2 years $10 mil to and is hitting .284/.333/.410. Michael Morse got 1 year $6 mil and is hitting .265/.326/.506. I wasn't thrilled by the idea of Morse but at $6 mil I wouldn't have complained. Regardless, there were a bunch of options in the OF they could have taken while still being frugal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If the OF was not so unproductive as a whole than Bonifacio would be F/T at 2B. That would end the topic.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Should've paid $50m/yr for Cano.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you sit him or worse ship him down.....now you got a guy who at one point had some value with his glove and he's not playing or he's down a Triple A stinking it up because he's pissed. I don't think anyone here or with the Cubs thinks he's a long term answer to anything but at the trade deadline, he might be worth something to a contender that needs some infield depth. Sooooo, they are playing him in hopes that he can get his numbers up so that they might get something for him in a trade. Is he terrible? Of course he is but just a couple of years ago he won a Gold Glove and he can also play short....so if he can get his avg up to .220 or so, he could be an asset to some team. What does it hurt? Is it costing them a playoff spot? So they lose an extra handful of games because he can't hit....big fucking deal.

Liked Posts:
Anthony Rizzo can't resist swinging at pitches that hit him in the eye/chest/leg/calf/groin and this is what people bitch about? Unbelievable.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Anthony Rizzo can't resist swinging at pitches that hit him in the eye/chest/leg/calf/groin and this is what people bitch about? Unbelievable.

Darwin Barney is regressing.

Unbelievable, right? That's something worth bitching about.

Last edited:

Liked Posts:
Darwin Barney is regressing.

Unbelievable, right? That's something worth bitching about.

Yeah, it is unbelievable when the Cubs are as bad as they are and people single out bottom of the order guys just to avoid placing blame where it's more appropriate.

Btw, if you want to bitch about a regression of defense, that's fair. He is a second baseman. Several winning teams have fielded 2b that could flash the leather but were lacking on offense.

Sorry but you make it all too obvious you're bitching about this to avoid placing blame where it should be.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, it is unbelievable when the Cubs are as bad as they are and people single out bottom of the order guys just to avoid placing blame where it's more appropriate.

I never said I wasn't blaming Rizzo or anyone else. But when you have a guy like Barney who is regressing and hardly contributes anything to this team, it gets frustrating to watch. Especially when he's swinging and missing at pitches right down the plate.

Rizzo and Castro have struggled in May. Below .300 BA for both now. But I'm more confident in them heating up than Barney. Pitching has been great, bullpen has been terrible. If the Cubs could get any solid production from RF, LF or 3B and let Boni play 2B it would surely help. Valbuena playing well and taking 2B would help too.

I don't see Barney heating up and getting above .200 anytime soon.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What's kind of disappointing is that Chris Valaika is hitting .302/.377/.456 in AAA. Logan Watkins is hitting .315/.402/.423 in AAA. And yet Barney is still on the roster...