Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Have you read what I've written about this? Because I sure haven't said they will play .500 the rest of the way. I didn't even say they would play .500 for a couple of months, but the idea that this is a historically bad team is absurd given available information.

So you think they'll play 9 under 500 the rest of the way?

17 under 500 puts them at 100 losses.

You said yourself Dabs this isn't about wins or losses. It's about progress.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you think they'll play 9 under 500 the rest of the way?

17 under 500 puts them at 100 losses.

You said yourself Dabs this isn't about wins or losses. It's about progress.

I've said it before and I will say it again. There is no objective way to say that this team is as bad as the 03 Tigers. It isn't going to be pretty in the final end of the season due to the trades and such, but last year's team was 18-29 at the exact same point of the season.

You are right that there I have argued that there is a lot under the surface in terms of progress compared to wins and losses, but since some refuse to look beyond that lets at least be accurate about where we are in that area.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I've said it before and I will say it again. There is no objective way to say that this team is as bad as the 03 Tigers. It isn't going to be pretty in the final end of the season due to the trades and such, but last year's team was 18-29 at the exact same point of the season.

You are right that there I have argued that there is a lot under the surface in terms of progress compared to wins and losses, but since some refuse to look beyond that lets at least be accurate about where we are in that area.

The bullpen has been better. I see Ramirez and Rondon as a plus.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...tebook_id=76712140&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

SAN DIEGO -- Friday night's season-worst outing by Edwin Jackson was an anomaly to what has been a Cubs strength this season.

"We've been getting really good pitching," said Cubs manager Rick Renteria.

Going into Friday night's game, the Cubs staff had a 1.40 earned run average over the previous six games. Starting pitchers have produced 25 quality starts this season with a 1.89 ERA in those games. The Cubs, however, are only 10-15 when the starting pitchers allow three or fewer runs in six innings.

The Cubs bullpen has a 1.93 over the past 10 games with 35 strikeouts against 13 walks in 37 1/3 innings.

Overall, the Cubs entered Saturday night's game in San Diego, ranked ninth in the National League with a 3.60 ERA. Cubs starters ranked eighth with a 3.71 ERA while the bullpen ranked seventh with a 3.46 ERA.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The problem has been with the lack of run support. The staff has been solid.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Throw in the trades and it wont happen.

What trades ? There are just 2 players they could deal away and could effect W/L outcome.
Samardzija and Hammel..
just to note, not by his fault but samardzija hasn't won a game yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
just to note, not by his fault but samardzija hasn't won a game yet...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk
Then what's the point of that comment?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Then what's the point of that comment?

That he has not effected the team Wins at all to this point. Hammel has 5 team wins. That would effect the W/L.

So lets say the Dodgers came calling. They wanted Shark. Theo starts the asking price with Zach Lee at AAA and Joc Pederson at AAA.

Considering Pederson is a LH OF that has 15 HR's right now and the Dodgers are over loaded with with OF as it is; I would pull that deal.

Dodgers have done so and I'll bet they would give Shark a deal in the Tanaka ballbark. Cubs IMO would cap at 80 mil.

That is reality.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Hammel's looking sharp... perfect through 3 with 3 Ks...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Throw in the trades and it wont happen.

Depends. The trades that are coming would be pitching. Almost assuredly they will trade Hammel and possibly will also deal Shark. The off set of this is the fact that they also will see some better hitting come up. Hitting has been their biggest issue. If someone like Hendricks can come up and not fall off terribly from what Hammel gives you I would call that a net gain.

Now, replacing Shark.... I got no answers for but presumably they would only do that if they got one hell of a package. And I strongly believe they want AA/AAA players for him. Supposedly when they were talking with the jays over the off season they wanted Drew Hutchison and Stroman or Sanchez. My guess is they would also want some minor pieces to work things out as well but the point being is that Hutchison was ready for the majors and that's before Shark has torn up the start of the season.

Other than those two who else are they going to trade? Bonifacio? Maybe but I'm not sure anyone will be desperate to give them anything worth while. They could trade Villenueva and Russell but they are hardly important pieces of the bullpen anymore. They probably can't trade Jackson unless he starts pitching better more consistently. They aren't likely to trade Castro during the season(if at all) and they definitely aren't trading Rizzo. They could trade Schierholtz but frankly that's not much of a loss at the moment.

So, it all comes down to whether or not Hendricks and the shark package returns players decent enough to not totally tank their pitching. If they drop even to league average level you are probably going to get that sort of boost out of hitting prospects.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
No run support and a bad outing by Russell and Schlitter. Ugh.