We can exile Sammy Sosa without forgiveness yet hire Manny Ramirez as player/coach?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cheating shit aside, Manny has always been regarded as one of the players who studied pitchers and put a lot of time in. I'm not sure if people are ignorant, obtuse, or just trolling but the fact remains he was a great hitter. Manny's easily one of the top 10 hitters of the past 50 years. He had 1 season under .290 batting average and that was in 300ish PAs as a 22 year old. He had 1 season under .375 OBP again as a 22 year old. And he did that for 16 straight years. Those aren't good numbers. They are great. Only 36 players last year had .290+ average last year. Only 18 players had .375+ OBP last year. If any of that is transferable why would you not want it? Also, is it not possible that Manny could teach people from mistakes he made with PEDs?

I just hope he doesn't try to teach anyone defense.... because his defense was fucking horrible.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
I'm neither ignorant, obtuse, or trolling.
But in your statistically obsessed mind character doesn't matter. More power to ya.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
But in your statistically obsessed mind character doesn't matter. More power to ya.

I was referring to those hating on the move for no apparent reason. If that includes you then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying anyone should be ecstatic about it as it may or may not matter. But to bash it just seems silly. He'll either progress players or he'll get fired. It's really that simple and he's hardly the only hitting coach they will have so it's not like they are putting all their eggs in a Manny basket.

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
They both turned on their teams. Of course Manny had more success with his team, unlike Sammy, but they both bit the hand.
I hope that's not part of the new Cubs Way.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Character? Lol You know nothing of the man.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I am stunned by the level of hypocrisy here. Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire and Manny Ramirez have been welcomed back into the fold yet Sammy Sosa is continued to be treated as a leper. Bad karma if you tell me.

Manny has come out and admitted his mistakes and is trying to make up for it now. Sammy still tried to convince people he didn't cheat. I have more respect for people who own up to it.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
I was referring to those hating on the move for no apparent reason.

manny was one of the laziest, least fundamentally sound and selfish players of the last 25 years and will now be mentoring the farm system where all of the cubs eggs have been placed. but somehow those are no apparent reasons? fanboys being fanboys.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
manny was one of the laziest, least fundamentally sound and selfish players of the last 25 years...
They didn't sign him to show all the players how to wear a do-rag. The guy could flat out rake. He was signed to help them with their plate approach.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
The guy could flat out rake. He was signed to help them with their plate approach.

he raked cause he was roided up. there are plenty of better guys out there that you would rather have your minor league system learn from than manny ramirez.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
manny was one of the laziest, least fundamentally sound and selfish players of the last 25 years and will now be mentoring the farm system where all of the cubs eggs have been placed. but somehow those are no apparent reasons? fanboys being fanboys.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...8596&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Cabrera and Alomar both described Ramirez as a hard worker, an amazing hitter and a great teammate.

"As much as everybody talks about 'Manny being Manny,'" Alomar said, "what people didn't see was his preparation before the game. He was a guy that prepared himself every single day. He had a routine in the cage. There's a reason why players are good, but there's a reason why some hitters are superstars. It takes preparation.

Cabrera said Ramirez was as dedicated to his craft as any player the Indians infielder has ever seen. Cabrera would wake up early on the road and always saw Ramirez headed to the hotel gym in the morning -- hours before being required to show up to the ballpark.

"Everywhere we'd go," Cabrera said with a laugh. "Everywhere. Seven o'clock in the morning, you'd go down in the hotel and you'd see Manny Ramirez going in a hockey shirt. Yeah, he'd wear like the biggest hockey shirt. I don't know where he'd find these things."

Later, at the ballpark, Cabrera would see Ramirez in the video room.

"He'd be the first person you'd see watching the videos," Cabrera said. "He'd just watch them quiet, like he didn't want anybody watching him studying the pitchers."

But what do Robbie Alomar and Orlando Cabrera know about baseball... Like I said before, you don't have to be thrilled by the move. It may be a non-factor. But to sit here and bash the move because Manny was "lazy" is absolutely absurd.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Nothing like a 4 year old article talking about a player whom they played with nearly 20 years ago.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Nothing like a 4 year old article talking about a player whom they played with nearly 20 years ago.

What exactly is your point? The article shows he was dedicated to watching tape of pitchers which was my initial comment to begin with. Someone says he's lazy so I provide examples. Am I suppose to find something from last week talking about a player who's been basically been retired for 2-3 years?

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Manny has come out and admitted his mistakes and is trying to make up for it now. Sammy still tried to convince people he didn't cheat. I have more respect for people who own up to it.

The only thing Sammy has to possibly apologize for was being a bad teammate, but who knows if it the jerkdom went both ways. As far as PEDs, usage was not only condoned but encouraged. Like Sosa said, he and McGwire were made to feel responsible for saving baseball so apologize for what?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yet again, this is a non story that people want to make into a story. Manny Ramirez was a great hitter with or without the roids. Who gives a fuck if he took roids when at least 80 percent of the league was on them. The guy had the purest right handed swing I have ever seen and was so dangerous in every at bat. People look for absolutely nothing to make it into something.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
he raked cause he was roided up. there are plenty of better guys out there that you would rather have your minor league system learn from than manny ramirez.

Lol. He was facing pitchers who were "roiding up" too. His swing mechanics were solid and so was his approach at the plate.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What exactly is your point?

That Manny Ramirez isn't a good hire and bringing up what players who played with him 20 years ago said doesn't matter.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That Manny Ramirez isn't a good hire and bringing up what players who played with him 20 years ago said doesn't matter.

Quite frankly, I don't see how anyone can say one way or another whether or not he will be a good hire at his point. He has next to no track record. As I said before, if people want to feel it's a pointless move I can see that. But to say it is out right bad I don't understand that in the slightest. You have literally 0 evidence that he's not capable of doing the job well. It's the same situation McGwire was in and he hasn't been fired by St. Louis. So, clearly it can work.

All I've heard for months now is how the cubs are doing nothing to get better. Obviously this hire isn't focused at the major league level but it is trying to get the most out of players and yet people still complain. Worst case scenario is he has no impact and gets fired shortly.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quite frankly, I don't see how anyone can say one way or another whether or not he will be a good hire at his point. He has next to no track record. As I said before, if people want to feel it's a pointless move I can see that. But to say it is out right bad I don't understand that in the slightest. You have literally 0 evidence that he's not capable of doing the job well. It's the same situation McGwire was in and he hasn't been fired by St. Louis. So, clearly it can work.

All I've heard for months now is how the cubs are doing nothing to get better. Obviously this hire isn't focused at the major league level but it is trying to get the most out of players and yet people still complain. Worst case scenario is he has no impact and gets fired shortly.

No, the worst thing it can do is completely derail promising careers in the minors. With most of the franchise's value in the minors, I would expect people to concern over hiring a new coach at that level.

But then again, Theo is god and stuffz.

:fap: