We can exile Sammy Sosa without forgiveness yet hire Manny Ramirez as player/coach?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No, the worst thing it can do is completely derail promising careers in the minors.

Jesus.... talk about conspiracy theories. What will happen is if a player like Baez isn't reacting well to Manny, they will fire him. Frankly, I highly doubt Manny will have any impact on swing mechanics and probably was hired more to show players how to view film and such as well as adapting to the MLB lifestyle as a young player. I don't see anyway that can derail someone's career.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/while-...ht-about-his-eccentric-father--134142689.html
Manny Jr. learned a lot about hitting in the time he spent with his father. It would have been hard not to. For all the pranks and the goofiness of Manny Sr., few players prepared as diligently for games. In that magical summer of 2009 as he traveled around the National League with the Dodgers, Manny Jr. was always struck by the number of hours his father put into hitting. They’d arrive at the park sometime around noon – 3 ½ to 4 hours before the time players are supposed to report. Manny Sr. would go to the clubhouse, change and immediately immerse himself into tapes of opposing pitchers. He would next go with then-Dodgers hitting coach Don Mattingly – now the team's manager – to the indoor batting cages where he would sometimes hit for two hours.
Yeah. It sounds like his work ethic sucks and he got lazy.[/sarcasm]

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
No, the worst thing it can do is completely derail promising careers in the minors. With most of the franchise's value in the minors, I would expect people to concern over hiring a new coach at that level.

But then again, Theo is god and stuffz.

:fap:

How do you know that will happen? He hasn't even joined the team yet, relax.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
he raked cause he was roided up. there are plenty of better guys out there that you would rather have your minor league system learn from than manny ramirez.

Like...

diavolos

Liked Posts:

rod carew, george brett, nomar garciaparra, tony gwynn, wade boggs, paul molitor, craig biggio, edgar martinez, larry walker, todd helton, chipper jones, barry larkin, frank thomas, mike greenwell, michael young, mark grace.

just off the top of my head.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
rod carew, george brett, nomar garciaparra, tony gwynn, wade boggs, paul molitor, craig biggio, edgar martinez, larry walker, todd helton, chipper jones, barry larkin, frank thomas, mike greenwell, michael young, mark grace.

just off the top of my head.

Other than Gwynn are any of them even coaching at any level? It's easy to say you'd rather have x player but if none of those players want to coach it's a pointless statement.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
Other than Gwynn are any of them even coaching at any level? It's easy to say you'd rather have x player but if none of those players want to coach it's a pointless statement.

i was asked who would better better to have your minor league players learn from, not if they were available or not.

you ask at what level any of them are coaching at, let me ask you this then. what level was manny coaching at three days ago?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
fanboys will be fanboys

Not really. Were not making it any more then what it is..
You 2 act like they just hired a jewel thief to watch over their diamonds.

Like I said before, if the kids accept him and are willing to listen and learn whatever he has to offer.. then that all that really matters

Roided or not, there's still alot involved that makes you a great ball player...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

diavolos

Liked Posts:
Not really. Were not making it any more then what it is..

bullshit. three days ago if any other team in the majors would have made this same exact move, it would have been universally mocked and criticized here. but since theo made the move it is praised and defended by most.

sorry, that is a textbook definition of being a fanboy.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
i was asked who would better better to have your minor league players learn from, not if they were available or not.

you ask at what level any of them are coaching at, let me ask you this then. what level was manny coaching at three days ago?

The difference is Manny wants to coach apparently and many of them don't. I mean hell, I'd rather have Ted Williams to coach the cubs players but that's not exactly going to happen either is it?

diavolos

Liked Posts:
The difference is Manny wants to coach apparently and many of them don't. I mean hell, I'd rather have Ted Williams to coach the cubs players but that's not exactly going to happen either is it?

well ted williams is dead so that is a stupid comparison and you know that many of them don't want to coach how? please provide sources to support this claim.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
bullshit. three days ago if any other team in the majors would have made this same exact move, it would have been universally mocked and criticized here. but since theo made the move it is praised and defended by most.

sorry, that is a textbook definition of being a fanboy.

LMAO... mark McGwire coaching, don't see that being overly criticized and mocked here.. Barry Bonds was brought back to SF as a special hitting coach, dont recall that being mocked and criticized here.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Jesus.... talk about conspiracy theories.

No. Its facts. Sure the best thing he can do is help Baez to a HOF career, the worst he can do is derail it off the tracks completely.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: RT @MDGonzales Kalish understood move, looks forward to playing every day and working with Manny

So far it looks as if players are looking forward to him being there, and again that all that matters in the long run

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
well ted williams is dead so that is a stupid comparison and you know that many of them don't want to coach how? please provide sources to support this claim.

That was my point... As for the others not wanting to coach, I'm not going to waste time scouring the internet for something that probably isn't out there. However, I will say this. Teams generally don't go to players and say "hey we want you to coach for us." Teams don't have to because there's 100's if not 1000's of ex-players who have no other career paths. Often, stars don't have the same problems because they made a bunch of money. That's why a lot of coaches end up being role players or career minor league players. I imagine Manny went to Theo in order to find work rather than the Cubs approaching Manny.

As for the fanboy comments you've made, who is praising it? I've seen people who've said he could be good but I've seen no one here say he's going to be amazing. In all honesty, I think it will be a complete non-factor of a move. He'll probably do it for awhile, get bored and move on to something else. The only reason I'm "defending" the move is because the ridiculous nature of the criticism. As with everything here, anything the cubs do gets bitched at. I have no problem with people disapproving of something so long as they are willing to praise something. But that never seems to be the way it works. You either hate everything or you're a "fanboy."

diavolos

Liked Posts:
LMAO... mark McGwire coaching, don't see that being overly criticized and mocked here.. Barry Bonds was brought back to SF as a special hitting coach, dont recall that being mocked and criticized here.

mcgwire was never considered a lazy, fundamentally unsound player who was a malcontent either. bonds was a special instructor just for spring training. keep trying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

@TheCCO: RT @MDGonzales Kalish understood move, looks forward to playing every day and working with Manny

So far it looks as if players are looking forward to him being there, and again that all that matters in the long run

and exactly what else is kalish supposed to say? he is probably on his last chance as a pro player and just got demoted to the minor leagues. probably wouldn't be a good move to say he won't work with the new coach the head of baseball operations just hired would it? #fanboys being fanboys

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish