Greatest Sports Video Game

OnePointSeven

Liked Posts:
Mike Tyson's Punchout hasn't been mentioned? I'm not sure its the best sports game ever, but its certainly top 3.

Another one I enjoyed a lot as a kid was Excitebike, but I wouldn't put it up there with the greatest of all time.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
OnePointSeven wrote:
Mike Tyson's Punchout hasn't been mentioned? I'm not sure its the best sports game ever, but its certainly top 3.

Another one I enjoyed a lot as a kid was Excitebike, but I wouldn't put it up there with the greatest of all time.

I can't mention Mike Tyson's Punchout for the simple reason that Super Punch-Out!! was better than Mike Tyson's Punchout. And I can't mention Super Punch-Outt!!, because Punch-Out! for Wii was better than that.

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
SouL EateR wrote:
Kush77 wrote:
Baseball Stars for NES. I think it came out in 1989 or 1990.

For it's time, the greatest sports game ever.

Create-a-player, before any other game. Create-a-team, before any other game. Salaries for players, before any other game. And season mode, long before any other sports game.

Baseball Stars was the greatest.

Now for the best franchise.....I'd go with NHL by EA.
Baseball Stars was awesome!! I was like 13 and use to recreate my whole lil leauge team and play season after season,the good ol days..lol...I was also a big Jordan vs Bird fan back than ..Through out the yrs Madden has been the best tho..

Baseball Stars, for it's time, was the best sports game ever. I found this on Youtube and seeing the team logos brings back memories.

The American Dreams, the SNK Crushers, The Lovely Ladies, the Ninja Blacksox, Ghastly Monsters, that's all I can remember. There were a few more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_Kh4Kq8Ts
Wow this clip damn near brought a tear to my eye..lol ..Were has time gone ?lol

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
JimmyBulls wrote:
SNES: I was in love with NCAA Basketball with their Mode 7 basketball engine. I always wanted them to make a NBA version, but that never happened.

Was that the one where you played in blue space? And when there was a block you heard a god-like voice that said "rejected?"

I don't know if i'd called it a god-like voice, but yeah. It hada blue background, and the camera angle would turn to the perspective you was on the court.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
I love how everyone goes with such classic games for their answer. As much as I love those games, I feel video games are much better today and as such, better games have come out, for the most part.

MVP Baseball 2005 was a badass game. I got the first 2 2k baseball games when they got the license and they suck.

NBA 2K9 has got to be my favorite game though. I play that game all the freakin time. I love it. I love how the AI creates offensive plays. I love how closely the games players mimic their real life counterparts. The game is supurb. Also player updates rule.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
Kush...

Id be down with a NCAA 10 online dynasty this year. Did you do all once conference last year or just whoever?

Also, someone mentioned Super Tecmo Bowl. That game was fan-effing-tastic. Airing that ball out with Joe Montana....too fun.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Kush...

Id be down with a NCAA 10 online dynasty this year. Did you do all once conference last year or just whoever?

Also, someone mentioned Super Tecmo Bowl. That game was fan-effing-tastic. Airing that ball out with Joe Montana....too fun.

You're on XBL my friend list right?

No, we just did whoever last year. I would like the idea of doing one conference though. that would be cool.

HeavyC

Liked Posts:
Alright, in general I don't really play too many sports video games. I've mostly grown to hate Madden now because of the exclusive NFL licensing. However, back in the NES days, it was a different story. Here would be my list.

#1 - Mike Tyson's Punchout (I don't want to hear about the newer versions of the game. The original is a classic and has totally withstood the test of time).

#2 - Nintendo World Cup Soccer for the NES (You could play on Grass / Sand / Dirt / and even Asphalt! You could just brutally tackle guys, injure people, and each team had guys with special power up kicks. Also...Bicycle Kick FTW!!

#3 - Super Spike Beach Volleyball on the NES. Kind of similar to World Cup Soccer in my book. Volleyball with awesome powerups in a similar graphical style.

#4 - Any of the EA NHL games. They are all consistently good, and I think Hockey translates very well to a video game. I especially love the versions on SNES / and the early Playstation versions.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Kush...

No, we just did whoever last year. I would like the idea of doing one conference though. that would be cool.

Ps3 one I think. I will send you an invite on XBL too soon.

We did an 8 man, SEC dynasty last year. Was pretty cool. Got 3 years into it.

You playing any TW10?

Kush77

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Kush77 wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Kush...

You playing any TW10?

No Tiger yet, EA hasn't sent me my review copy. I usually get games about a week after they come out. But I get all my games for free so I can't complain.

I'll be getting Fight Night Wound 4 next week. And Activision is sending me Prototype and Transformers. Next week will be a busy video game week for me.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kush77 wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Kush77 wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
Kush...

You playing any TW10?

No Tiger yet, EA hasn't sent me my review copy. I usually get games about a week after they come out. But I get all my games for free so I can't complain.

I'll be getting Fight Night Wound 4 next week. And Activision is sending me Prototype and Transformers. Next week will be a busy video game week for me.

You get your games for free? You shouldn't complain about anything then :p

DASMACKDOWN

Liked Posts:
[video type=youtube]vd-_yY41JZY[/video]

Dont know how many remember this game for the 3DO but I used to love this game.