Greatest Sports Video Game

Liked Posts:
Alright everyone. I know there are some gamers on this forum.

What is the greatest sports video game you have ever played?

My answer might just surprise you...

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Madden as a franchise has probably given me the most enjoyment, because I've played it through so many seasons. There's no other sports game I've played through as many generations.

Still, no individual Madden game stands out to me the "best sports game", so it's more of a longevity of a franchise thing than individual greatness of any one game.

The game I thought was really ahead of it's time was Bases Loaded for the NES. The create a player and build a team and train your players to build up their abilities aspect of the game was really incredible for it's time. I played he hell out of that.

NBA Jam was my favorite sports arcade game.

NBA Live 95 was out my freshman year of college, and we played four player NBA live every day for hours, so I probably have better memories of that than any other sports game even though I never really could get into any other NBA live game put out.

I loved NBA Street 2, and played that to death when it was out as well. I guess I'd still have to give Madden the best franchise. It's really hard to go in any other direction. Most of the other games I loved were for personal reasons more so than that they were greater franchises.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Tecmo Bowl for Nintendo has to get my vote though Bases Loaded would be a close second. Back in Chanpaign Urbana tournemanets would be had all weekend logn with individuals each taking a team.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Everyone loves tecmo bowl, but I never thought it was that great. You could take bo jackson and spin move for 99 yards every play.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yes, and with Marcus Allen and The two backs from Cincy too if I remember correctly. But if you keyed the run, they could be stopped. Good times

Liked Posts:
Does anyone remember Bill Laimbeer Combat Basketball?

Where Bill Laimbeer becomes the Commissioner of the NBA and he moves the league to space and it's all cosmic and stuff? That game was pretty tight.

I played a lot of Live 95 as well (the one with Houston and Orlando tipping in the Finals on the game sticker?)

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
It might not be great from a pure gamer standpoint, but the most hours I ever played and enjoyed on a game was from NBA Hangtime (N64).

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I think NBA 2k3 was an early pinnacle for the 2k series, and was just a great game. Then the series went downhill, finally reaching that level again with 2k9.

Have to give some love for Bulls vs. Blazers and the NBA Playoffs for SNES. That game lasted me until NBA Live 2000 on N64. Bulls vs. Blazers was just brilliant. It was modern basketball video game in terms of the camera angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAsNpoWXRwc

Much better than NBA Live...despite being the precursor to NBA Live.

I'd always sub out John Paxson for BJ Armstrong early in the game, because BJ was so much better.

NBA Jam of course should be on everybody's lists.

Punchout for Wii is probably the best boxing game ever as well.

MADman24

Liked Posts:
NBA Live 96, i can remember hours of guessing names in create-a-player trying to unlock all the hidden guys. The same year Madden 96 was incredible because of the create-a-player was so great, all of the drills were really fun, I still play go back and do that now on my SNES emulator.

NFL Blitz I remember playing head to head for hours at a time and NFL Street 1 & 2 again those minigames were a game of their own. Of course NBA Jam TE deserves a mention but like Doug said the Madden franchise takes the crown for series because I can't pick just one and every year I play the hell out of Madden.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't really play a whole lot of sports games outside of basketball, and even then I don't play them a whole lot (in relative comparison to my other games) but I really enjoyed the NBA Street series as well as NBA Live before 06. After that NBA Live went down the drain IMO. NBA 2K series is pretty good as well. I don't put this game near the top sports games of all time, but who here remembers NBA Courtside? That game was decent IMO. NBA Hangtime was a decent arcade basketball game, but it got boring.

Outside of basketball, I'm sorry to say that my playing experience with that is really only NFL Blitz. What a crazy fun game that was.

I don't think any of the games I mentioned would beat Madden for the greatest game though.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
2 games come to mind, and I think a lot of folks will agree with me.

1.) NFL2k5

2.) MVP Baseball 2005

Both games were the pinnacle of their sport at the time, and to be honest, have yet to be eclipsed by anything to this day. The main reason for that is EA getting the NFL exclusive license in 2005, and 2K sports getting the MLB exclusive license in 2006.

I still play NFL2k5 (ps2) to this very day.....just a fantastic game. Same for MVP.....although MLB the show is getting closer with every new release.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Bulls vs. Blazers was the greatest sports game of all time. I still have my Genesis & still play the game today. I also bust out Lakers vs. Celtics everyone once & awhile. Gota give an honorable mention to NHL 94 as well. You could make blood come out of the players if you checked them right.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Baseball Stars for NES. I think it came out in 1989 or 1990.

For it's time, the greatest sports game ever.

Create-a-player, before any other game. Create-a-team, before any other game. Salaries for players, before any other game. And season mode, long before any other sports game.

Baseball Stars was the greatest.

Now for the best franchise.....I'd go with NHL by EA.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Frank Breakfast-Styleham wrote:

Where Bill Laimbeer becomes the Commissioner of the NBA and he moves the league to space and it's all cosmic and stuff? That game was pretty tight.

I played a lot of Live 95 as well (the one with Houston and Orlando tipping in the Finals on the game sticker?)

LOL, Bill Laimbeer Combat Basketball LOL I had that for Super Nintendo.

The one thing I remember was that the league was set up like Euro soccer. Where you had to win the level 3 league to move up to level 2 etc..

fola

Liked Posts:
Kush77 wrote:
Frank Breakfast-Styleham wrote:

LOL, Bill Laimbeer Combat Basketball LOL I had that for Super Nintendo.

The one thing I remember was that the league was set up like Euro soccer. Where you had to win the level 3 league to move up to level 2 etc..

Speaking of euro soccer, does anyone remember International Superstar Soccer?!?!

I was never into soccer but ISS got me into the sport. It was on the N64.. man, that was such a good game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVOSX4vtMqA

Kush77

Liked Posts:
I don't remember that one Fola. But I'm like you, I wasn't into soccer games that much until I got World Cup 98 for Playstation.
To this day it's the best soccer game I ever played. I just like the whole World Cup format and I was pretty good at it.

I got World Cup 2006 and played online a lot. I think my online record was 3-38. I sucked.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Pigskin Footbrawl was another great genesis game.

RPK

Liked Posts:
My favorites are/were:

Madden series

The Bill Walsh College football series

NBA JAM/NBA JAM Tournament edition

Is FPS Death match considered a sport? If so, the Halo series.

BullsBuddy

Liked Posts:
1. NBA 2k8 for ps2. i mean, you can do dunks from the elbow! lol
2. Madden 04 for ps2. the running animations were tight, and there was also playcreater which was really cool. too bad the madden series has taken steps back IMO. the running animations on the next gen consoles look really crappy.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
BullsBuddy wrote:
1. NBA 2k8 for ps2. i mean, you can do dunks from the elbow! lol
2. Madden 04 for ps2. the running animations were tight, and there was also playcreater which was really cool. too bad the madden series has taken steps back IMO. the running animations on the next gen consoles look really crappy.

NBA 2K8 was the best basketball game ever IMO. 2K took steps backwards with 2K9 I think.

Madden 04 was my personal favorite. Isn't that the one with Vick on the cover? If it is, that's the one I think is the best.
Madden really didn't wow me with anything up until last season. I thought Madden 09 was very good. And now Madden 10 is gonna have online franchise mode. Madden 10 is a must get for me this year.