Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
[video=youtube;A9XtDyDUjIU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XtDyDUjIU&feature=kp[/video]

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, it was a slow game except for that one inning. Rizzo with big homeruns. Barney still sucks. We got hosed on the Barney interference call though. Nate had a real good play and Hammel looked real good.

I had to watch the Brewers broadcast cause I am two cheap to pay for the Premium MLB package, but their announcers were talking about Lake. They were comparing him to Gomez. Kind of interesting. Both were extremely athletic and it took Gomez some years to figure it out. I know its a long shot, but if LAke does "figure it out" I hope the Cubs still have him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They were comparing him to Gomez. Kind of interesting. Both were extremely athletic and it took Gomez some years to figure it out.

My initial thought when I read this was no way. Having looked at that stats it appears my gut feeling on Gomez's walk rate was off. Offensively, having looked at the stats I can see that possibility. However, Gomez won a gold glove in CF. I'm not sure I see that out of Lake. If Lake turns into a 20/20 type he's obviously got value but a 20/20 gold glove CF is substantially more valuable than a corner OF with passable defense. I'm not trying to bury Lake here just trying to be objective. Will Venable might be a better comparison in terms of future value. Alejandro De Aza is possibly another good comp.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Hammel's year isn't really that unprecedented. This is basically the same year he had in 2012 with the O's. His k rate is down about 1 per 9 and so is his walk rate. His 2010 year with the rockies was a similar walk/k rate but with a .328 BABIP vs .221 this year he obviously got dinged more. At this point I'm wondering what they ultimately will get for him. It's probably some where between Garza and Feldman. However you can make a decent case for the Garza side.

Garza
2013 - 6-1 71.0 IP 7.86 k/9 2.54 bb/9 1.01 hr/9 .266 BABIP 80.0% LOB% 3.17 ERA 3.78 FIP 3.82 xFIP
2012 - 5-7 103.2 IP 8.33 k/9 2.78 bb/9 1.30 hr/9 .271 BABIP 74.3% LOB% 3.91 ERA 4.17 FIP 3.59 xFIP

Hammel
2014 - 5-3 64.1 IP 7.55 k/9 2.10 bb/9 0.70 hr/9 .221 BABIP 71.7% LOB% 3.08 ERA 3.18 FIP 3.58 xFIP
2012 - 8-6 118.0 IP 8.62 k/9 3.20 bb/9 0.69 hr/9 .291 BABIP 73.9% LOB% 3.43 ERA 3.29 FIP 3.46 xFIP

Obviously the bugaboo is Hammel's 4.97 ERA 4.93 FIP 4.56 xFIP in 2013. He supposedly had issues in his forearm that year so there's that. His HR/9 was way up too almost double his 2012 and 2014 year thus far. Garza is more of a name and even the Rangers GM admitted they over paid. So, I doubt Hammel nets that but I could see them getting a package similar to Edwards plus Ramirez and Grimm.

I could see the Yanks going in on Hammel. Mason Williams would make some sense. Cubs are light in OF and the yanks are tied into Gardner and Ellsbury long term and have 2 other OF prospects in AA along with Williams. Gary Sanchez would also make some sense as a C as they also are tied into McCann. Toss in some A level arms to go along with one of those and that's probably enough.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Wow talk about a stinker from shark.... no run supports going to help him today...

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
Wow talk about a stinker from shark.... no run supports going to help him today...

I realize Lohse is good.
But three spread out hits and only one Cub to reach 2nd?
After yesterdays big blow out win, the Cubs either took off today or maybe their just not good enough to handle a semi-talented pitcher.
Lohse is 135 -120 in a 14 yr. career

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I realize Lohse is good.
After yesterdays big blow out win, the Cubs either took off today or maybe their just not good enough to handle a semi-talented pitcher.

Didn't help Rizzo got thrown out of the game in the 1st. Frankly he's their only consistent hitter most of the time.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
I realize Lohse is good.

We never do anything after one big game. Ever. Every time our offense hits and scores a bunch one game we get shutout for next three. It's like we have a small tank of hits and we use it all in one game and then are running on E the rest. We're stupidly inconsistent.

I am hoping for Ricketts to say something racist at this point haha

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
We never do anything after one big game. Ever. Every time our offense hits and scores a bunch one game we get shutout for next three. It's like we have a small tank of hits and we use it all in one game and then are running on E the rest. We're stupidly inconsistent.

I am hoping for Ricketts to say something racist at this point haha

You're spot on about falling flat after one or two big games.
It's been going on well before Ricketts though.
No STERLING though. I would have rather had his, semi defender, Mark Cuban instead.
His dads name ain't Joe is all that matters