Any golfers on here??

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Not great, but finally broke finished below 100 last time out. Definitely getting better. Shot an 8 on 2 separate holes because I am so awful with my pitching wedge

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I can probably count on my fingers and toes how many times i've legitimately played golf, but I did get some nice clubs recently. Went to the driving range a few days ago and had some solid drives, so I'm getting better. Realistically, if I played a round of golf, I think I'd be in triple digits.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most instructors will ask you what your goals are. If you're a beginner, he'll teach you the basics, which are pretty important.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not great, but finally broke finished below 100 last time out. Definitely getting better. Shot an 8 on 2 separate holes because I am so awful with my pitching wedge

Just bring your short irons next time you got the range. That's going to be my next session too, 120 yards and in.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can probably count on my fingers and toes how many times i've legitimately played golf, but I did get some nice clubs recently. Went to the driving range a few days ago and had some solid drives, so I'm getting better. Realistically, if I played a round of golf, I think I'd be in triple digits.

Nothing wrong with that, just have fun playing :)

malcore

Where do you golf RTB.

We used to have a membership at the Highland when I was young. I would bike there with a buddy and play 36 holes every day during the summers after grade 7 and 8. In high school we used to always sneak on to Twin Streams for an afternoon round. Also played Thames a lot, and occasionally Echo Valley.

Mitchapalooza

I used to work at Beverly Country Club 2 years ago. A lot of jagoffs there.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Most instructors will ask you what your goals are. If you're a beginner, he'll teach you the basics, which are pretty important.

In my experience, PGA pros are wasting your time and money. They teach you damn near nothing so you're always coming back for more lessons. My cousin is a hardcore amateur (if that makes sense to you). He plays in the Golf Channel AM tour and some other amateur tour. He has gone through PGA pro lessons, Golfsmith pro lessons, robotic-assisted swing machine etc. etc. and he says that you're much better off going to a facility that has the robot so you know what your proper swing plane should be and feel like than paying stupid amounts of money on lessons from a pro.

TLDR: Learning by feel is the way to go. Otherwise your head is floating with too many checklists of things like ball placement, feet placement, hand placement, weight transfer blah blah blah it goes on and on for what feels forever. Learning by feel eliminates a lot of the confusion.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It would be really good for my career to at least get decent. Plus, I think I would probably enjoy it quite a bit. Might take the advice in this thread and go and get lessons somewhere.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
tc06.jpg

I go with the ole tin cup grip it and rip it approach apply lotsa beer have fun and shoot in the trips its all good just a hobby for me

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my experience, PGA pros are wasting your time and money. They teach you damn near nothing so you're always coming back for more lessons. My cousin is a hardcore amateur (if that makes sense to you). He plays in the Golf Channel AM tour and some other amateur tour. He has gone through PGA pro lessons, Golfsmith pro lessons, robotic-assisted swing machine etc. etc. and he says that you're much better off going to a facility that has the robot so you know what your proper swing plane should be and feel like than paying stupid amounts of money on lessons from a pro.

TLDR: Learning by feel is the way to go. Otherwise your head is floating with too many checklists of things like ball placement, feet placement, hand placement, weight transfer blah blah blah it goes on and on for what feels forever. Learning by feel eliminates a lot of the confusion.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say your buddy is giving bad advice. A beginner doesn't know the difference between a good swing or a bad one, never mind a proper swing plane. I'm nowhere near as good as your buddy, so his advice has merit for a more advanced player, just not a beginner IMO. Having someone there to help these guys getting a proper grip, ball placement, stance, club selection, etc ... It's crucial to the beginner.

Good players tend to forget that this game isn't easy at all to us that play every couple weeks or so.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
It would be really good for my career to at least get decent. Plus, I think I would probably enjoy it quite a bit. Might take the advice in this thread and go and get lessons somewhere.
Golf has helped contribute to my carreer success in a big way. I often said I have done more business on a golf course or as a result of it than in an office. Where else can you get 5 hours of uninterrupted time with business associates and customers

You dont have to be good just competent so that you fit it. More important is to know the protocol of the game: where to stand, when not to talk, the order of play. They say you learn a lot about someone on a golf course.

Most golf outings are scrambles which takes off the pressure to score low. The expectation is that each player makes a contribution along the way. I will say that being a low handicap player does confer an amount of competency on you. The thought is that if you are a good player then you must be a good person. Fair or not, it's the truth

So, learn enough to contribute, never ever cheat, correctly score, if you are the business host understand who pays for what, learn where to stand and when to shut up

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where do you golf RTB.

We used to have a membership at the Highland when I was young. I would bike there with a buddy and play 36 holes every day during the summers after grade 7 and 8. In high school we used to always sneak on to Twin Streams for an afternoon round. Also played Thames a lot, and occasionally Echo Valley.

So far, I've been playing wherever(all around London), but I really like Echo Valley, Firerock(it's pretty new) and Forest City National.

I'm going to buy a 295$ "golf London" card, it gets me in everywhere(no private courses) for half price.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Golf has helped contribute to my carreer success in a big way. I often said I have done more business on a golf course or as a result of it than in an office. Where else can you get 5 hours of uninterrupted time with business associates and customers

You dont have to be good just competent so that you fit it. More important is to know the protocol of the game: where to stand, when not to talk, the order of play. They say you learn a lot about someone on a golf course.

Most golf outings are scrambles which takes off the pressure to score low. The expectation is that each player makes a contribution along the way. I will say that being a low handicap player does confer an amount of competency on you. The thought is that if you are a good player then you must be a good person. Fair or not, it's the truth

So, learn enough to contribute, never ever cheat, correctly score, if you are the business host understand who pays for what, learn where to stand and when to shut up

I agree with all of that.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The game is a blast and if you're competitive at all, you'll be hitting the range lots, I promise :)

Good luck!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Thank you Ommy.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The game is a blast and if you're competitive at all, you'll be hitting the range lots, I promise :)

Good luck!

Part of the reason I've never taken it up honestly. I'm SUPER competitive. When I'm not good at something the path usually goes from frustration to complete obsession until I'm at least decent at it.