Any golfers on here??

malcore

Part of the reason I've never taken it up honestly. I'm SUPER competitive. When I'm not good at something the path usually goes from frustration to complete obsession until I'm at least decent at it.

Warning! Golf is time consuming, particularly when the 19th hole is a par 12.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part of the reason I've never taken it up honestly. I'm SUPER competitive. When I'm not good at something the path usually goes from frustration to complete obsession until I'm at least decent at it.

If that's the case, your wife might refer the game as your "mistress" like mine does, haha!

When we lived in Calgary I used to play 2-4 times week(Monday - Thursday) and hit the range with the wife(gf at the time)on the weekends.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Warning! Golf is time consuming, particularly when the 19th hole is a par 12.
Guy I played with on Friday had 4 beers on the back 9 alone, lol. I bet he would of had more but they can't start selling booze until 11am and we teed off at 930am.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
And expensive. I estimate my golf related expenses exceeded $350,000 in the 20 years I was a fanatic

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have to say ommy, I'm totally envious of playing 110 rounds a year, no doubt I'd be a scratch/+2 handicap if I played that much.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I have to say ommy, I'm totally envious of playing 110 rounds a year, no doubt I'd be a scratch/+2 handicap if I played that much.
You can be competent playing causually but you cant be good without playing a lot. People in this thread have said they could putt a bit or usually hit straight drives. A competent player can do that. But it's really about all the other stuff" chipping sandtraps, hitting over trees, under trees, the strategies, knowing when to lay up or go for it. Positioing yourself around the course. Even how you play against an opponent...that part is huge. How I prepare and play in a tournament is totally different than casual play. I have seen guys fall apart from pressure

The only way to be good at all those things is to play a lot, meaning thousands of round in your life

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
BTW, dont envy playing 110 rounds a year. It's really too much. I remember one streak that year playing 11 straight days: casual, customer and tournament golf. It was too much pressure and my arms felt like they were going to fall off. You can play too much

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fuck. Pretty sure I've opened Pandora's box...because I've pretty much committed mentally to learn how to play.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I got this way with darts. I didn't stop until I could close cricket in 4 rounds. And now I have a bar model dart machine in my garage that's not seen a dart in 6 months. Lol.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I golf maybe once a year. I love it when I go though. I just have too many hobbies I think. I will hit just enough good shots to keep me intrigued and thinking that I have some sort of passable ability.

I DO have a hole in one though. I used to play everyday back when I was 11-14ish. I was out taking a lesson with the golf pro. Basically playing 9 holes with the pro. Not like I was taking mulligans or anything like that. Sunk a hole in one. The pro couldnt believe it. It kinda pisses off a lot of people who play all the time.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I got this way with darts. I didn't stop until I could close cricket in 4 rounds. And now I have a bar model dart machine in my garage that's not seen a dart in 6 months. Lol.

In all fairness being a master at darts is like being a master at the windmill on mini golf. You can play forever and never be shooting under 80 on the golf course.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I golf maybe once a year. I love it when I go though. I just have too many hobbies I think. I will hit just enough good shots to keep me intrigued and thinking that I have some sort of passable ability.

I DO have a hole in one though. I used to play everyday back when I was 11-14ish. I was out taking a lesson with the golf pro. Basically playing 9 holes with the pro. Not like I was taking mulligans or anything like that. Sunk a hole in one. The pro couldnt believe it. It kinda pisses off a lot of people who play all the time.

It shouldn't have upset anyone. Congrats on having that one.

Mitchapalooza

I know that place well

are you a member? The job was fun, I'd just cruise around on my cart all day and just re-stock the ranges, clean golf balls and wash carts.

The worst part was how many times people wouldn't push that red button before going in the tunnel and then they cause a huge jam.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
In all fairness being a master at darts is like being a master at the windmill on mini golf. You can play forever and never be shooting under 80 on the golf course.

I'll give you that golf is way more complicated and more difficult to master. But shooting good darts isn't necessarily a parlor trick. The hard part is consistency. Even average players can get hot and shoot good for a game or two, a night or even a few weeks. Once you get past a certain point the game is 90% mental. Also, to stay on top of your game you have to shoot a lot. Again talking about the difference between being good and great. I never reached the "great" level consistently but have a few friends that are there. Flirted with it, but I don't have the time to shoot 20-30+ games a night.

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'll give you that golf is way more complicated and more difficult to master. But shooting good darts isn't necessarily a parlor trick. The hard part is consistency. Even average players can get hot and shoot good for a game or two, a night or even a few weeks. Once you get past a certain point the game is 90% mental. Also, to stay on top of your game you have to shoot a lot. Again talking about the difference between being good and great. I never reached the "great" level consistently but have a few friends that are there. Flirted with it, but I don't have the time to shoot 20-30+ games a night.

I used to in my younger days. I miss it some

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I'm looking forward to hitting balls here in about a day or so.
I haven't picked up a club in three years I believe. When I played intermittently (2-3 times a month) I could hit it very well off the tee (250-275). But the last time out I was more in the 210 range. I'd be happy with 200 now. Hard to not play and get old

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
BTW, Wal-mart sells grade "A" balls(round 2 or used) for a really good price. Just grabbed 24 for 35$, that would have cost me 110$ brand new. I'm curious as to what American prices are, if anyone feels like letting me know :) thanks